1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd Left Blinker Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SportyBlueTaco, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Nov 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    SportyBlueTaco

SportyBlueTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Delmar,DE
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Sport Double Cab
    Tonneau Cover,Tube step
    Ok

When I turn on my left blinker; lights behind odometer,radio and clock all blink with left blinker.I have a remote start installed after factory.My vehicle also has starting problems with auto start and with key start(intermittent problem,sometimes starts with auto and sometimes starts with key).I am not sure these are related.I have had brake light switch looked at,could this be the problem.

2. Nov 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Grounding problem.

3. Nov 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    Did you just replace the bulb? Bought a car where someone forced a single filament but into a double filament socket and had simular issues.

4. Nov 20, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Yep I have seen those that have even managed to get the proper bulb in backwards! Generally if you have lights doing strange things there is a ground missing somewhere. What happens instead of the light going to ground to complete the circuit it grounds thru the filaments in the related bulbs (like the dash lights). There is enough resistance in the bulbs to ground that they will light I would check left signal sockets first for damage beyond that it could be anywhere something as simple as a loose bolt on a ground wire. I have no ideal how you alarm system works or why it would have any connection to the lights but it’s possible they flash the lights when the alarm sounds if that is the case that is most likely where your problem is. Stock wiring usually never goes bad unless it has been tinkered.

5. Nov 20, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES

I'd first go each of the signals, inspect the socket and then check (ohm meter) bulb socket (AT the bulb socket pins) to ground. If reading are weird - compare to the other side. Should be near 0 ohms to frame ground.

6. Nov 20, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    I would check the install of the autostart if you can. Sounds like a ground is missing/corroded.

7. Nov 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES

I'd check my suggestion above first. (quick check). Then I'd disconnect the aftermarket addition just to check. The reason is I can't see how the aftermarket will affect just the left side blinker/stop lights. The Turn signals will come from the ECU and then perhaps to a relay - but none of that should have been altered with your aftermarket add. If the problem was on Both sides I'd think different.

Also, Double check that the bulbs are correct/watt and are the same as the other side. If that side is puling more amps it could cause a voltage drop in the circuit and behave differently than the other side.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top