1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Electrical acting up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mpivovar, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Nov 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    mpivovar

mpivovar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    Start truck this morning drive to work no problem. When I go to start at work does not start so I get a boost and off she goes. As I am driving home i noticed when the traction control kicks in the radio shuts off and dash lights all light up but keeps driving. Drive home and do some tests. When ABS kicks in on braking radios and lights dim and again same thing happens when traction control kicks in. Park truck and shut it off and it does not start again. Is this battery issue or some electrical fault. This happen to anyone else before.

2. Nov 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Local parts store ,like auto zone , will usually test battery and the charging system for free. I would start there.

3. Nov 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Sounds like a battery or connection issue, I agree, start with a load test of the battery.

4. Nov 20, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    If it happened while you were driving, it sounds like it might be the alternator. As others have said, have it checked. If you have a volt meter, you can do a simple test yourself.

5. Nov 20, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Alternator.

Car requires jumping because alternator isn't functioning. If your battery is old, all of this may have weakened it to the point that it too may need replacing soon.

If your truck is equipped with the same alternator it was built with and you have the time, remove it yourself and take to a good electrical rebuilding shop. It may need nothing more than new brushes. Don't waste your money on aftermarket electrics. The OEM alternator is the best there is.

Products Discussed in

To Top