1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking solution for Bestop Supertop (pop and lock required)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco Suave, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Nov 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    Taco Suave

Taco Suave [OP] Taco Fever

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Go fast stuff
    The one Negative about the soft shells is that they aren't lockable. However I have figured out a way to make it much more secure than it comes stock. I Have not yet done anything to lock the side windows but I have a couple of ideas so ill figure that out soon. I figure most people would go for the back first anyways.

Things you will need:

A Bestop Super top, This will NOT work with a softopper.

[​IMG]

Pop and lock system
    2ft minimum of 3/32 cable. Its cheap stuff so get more than you need to be safe.
    2 packs of ferrule stops
    [​IMG]
    And Something that can cut cable and crush the aluminum ferrule stops. Im not sure the name of this tool but its made for the job and works excellent.
    [​IMG]
    And something to attach to the cables that Will not slip through the crack between the top of the tailgate and the aluminum bar attached to the back flap of the top. I used a nut between two washers and this works great. But you can use anything.
    A buddy for help is very useful

Procedure:

Loop the cable through the zipper and apply a ferrule stop like so:
    [​IMG]

This is where your buddy will come in handy
    Then with the cable hanging down get inside the bed and have your buddy close the tailgate. Now put on another ferrule stop following the washers and nut (or other stuff) and loop around them as close as you can to the tailgate. Heres the order that i did it in:
    [​IMG]

Heres about how long you should try to make the cable. The longer the cable the more the zipper will be able to be opened, but if its too short the tailgate might not be able to close.
    [​IMG]

If done correctly it should work just by closing the tailgate. It is a little noisy when it is closed but its no louder than the pop and lock system. I figure the small inconvenience is worth the deterrent. I was also thinking of taping up the nut and washer to make it quieter but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Heres what it looks like with the tailgate closed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres as much as I could get mine open, I was able to get my hand in but I only would have been able to grab things that could fit through that hole and that were close to the tailgate.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind this won't keep thieves who have a knife out of your tailgate this is only a theft deterrent to make it that much harder for them to get to your stuff. Or to make you feel that much better about leaving you stuff in your Bestop. Ill add to this post when I make a system to keep the side windows from being unzipped.
    Hope This helps keep your stuff safe!

rubiconjp likes this.
  2. Nov 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    That's great and all but...

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

If they're willing to unzip your top to either look or to steal they're more than willing to cut it.

I bet you could get the zipper to separate with a little more than moderate pressure.

I think you bought the wrong top. You're going to be too worried about it all the time.

3. Nov 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    ^^^^^^ Beat me to it.

4. Nov 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    Taco Suave

Taco Suave [OP] Taco Fever

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Go fast stuff
    I had enough faith not to put this in the post but I guess it was unavoidable hah..

For those of you who want to say why didn't you just buy a hardtop?? Someone can just cut that thing open anyways. You don't understand that not all people carry around knives with them and those who want to steal something on a whim, it would make it much harder on them vs is you could just unzip it. Even if you have a hard shell if someone wants to get in, they are going to get in. If you haven't heard, glass doesnt hold up well to rocks... Heck I'm sure you could throw a little pocket knife through a shell window. Also keep this in mind, I didn't buy the Bestop for the security, I bought it for the convenience and capabilities. Like I said earlier, this is only a deterrent. And even if it only deters 5% of people who would consider trying to break in, maybe the one time it did stop someone to try to make a quick low key steal I actually had something in there worth protecting. That small chance is worth it to me. And I'm sure there are other people who feel the same way. So for people like you Jefes Taco and Jimmy, This thread is not for you. So please, carry along, Have a nice day, and go **** yourself.:luvya:

Black taco. likes this.
  5. Nov 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    I already did that today. Twice.:jerkoff:

6. Nov 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    t.hornstra

t.hornstra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Little this. Little that 4x4 Swap’d PreRunner
    I'm just going to throw this out there. I tried this same thing but gave up for one reason.

The slack in the wire will still allow someone enough room to pull the cross bar off. Once off it's easy to pull the other side off, even slide the bar out, and unzip as much as they want

I just accepted the fact that the Bestop has no security. Anddddd thats why I sold it, today.

Props for trying though! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  7. Nov 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    smithr1730

smithr1730 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '15 TX Pro
    Offroad parts and such
    Good idea and good write up :thumbsup:
    I've already decided that theres no sercurity for the bestop plus I don't keep anything in there long enough that I'm not worried

8. Dec 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    My Extang Hard Trifold is fairly secure with a Pop & Lock, but only in the closed position, of course. I do run with it open as much as closed, and that's when the whole damn thing is easy to steal. Just went to Dickies BBQ tonight, and closed it up, just had a gut feeling about that parking lot.

9. Dec 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    All joking aside, there are two other windows with two zippers each. Just saying.

10. Dec 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    jackwithcorona

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    What's on the center rail there? Is that a way to hold down the velcro?

11. Dec 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    jackwithcorona

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Not I mean the center rail beneath your cab rear window. It covers about 70% of the rail

Products Discussed in

To Top