Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

For those with Grillcraft MX series lower grilles...

Old 04-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
For those with Grillcraft MX series lower grilles...

How well does it cover the existing lower grille? Or has anyone removed the lower grille to make it look a bit cleaner behind the mesh? Any help, pics, or snide remarks are appreciated.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cool! Thanks, Choco!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't cut anything on the bottom one either.
Attached Thumbnails
For those with Grillcraft MX series lower grilles...-11-15-2008a.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
jward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Aviation
Name: John
jward2331's Tacoma Gallery
I cut them both out when I did mine. Relocated horns which cleans it up too. If you want to do it right, cut it all out... Tried to include a decent pics for you. Now I have the Hella's behind the grill too.
Attached Thumbnails
For those with Grillcraft MX series lower grilles...-08-tacoma-grill-001.jpg   For those with Grillcraft MX series lower grilles...-08-tacoma-grill-005.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jward2331 View Post
I cut them both out when I did mine. Relocated horns which cleans it up too. If you want to do it right, cut it all out... Tried to include a decent pics for you. Now I have the Hella's behind the grill too.

That's the cleanest install I've seen so far... very nice...
Old 04-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Bourbon

Thanks to all of you. From a distance, I can't tell enough of a difference to justify cutting the lower portion out. But who knows what I'll think once I get everything on.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
How bad was installation on the bottom grill? I just have the upper and it was bad enough!
Grillcraft's website basically just shows an X-Runner application ..
Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhead View Post
How bad was installation on the bottom grill? I just have the upper and it was bad enough!
A little more of an ordeal than the upper. Lay it on then scribe the holes then drill. Leave the upper grille out while installing the lower. Took around 1.5hrs to install the lower.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
jward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Aviation
Name: John
jward2331's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
A little more of an ordeal than the upper. Lay it on then scribe the holes then drill. Leave the upper grille out while installing the lower. Took around 1.5hrs to install the lower.
As stated, it wasn't bad at all. I used an electric jig saw to cut out the lower center part, didn't remove the bumper at all. Tape off the painted area around the lower grill and cut away. Dremel tool cleans up the cuts and sanded to fine tune. I hit the area with spray paint to dress it up.
Looks very clean when all said and done.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jward2331 View Post
Looks very clean when all said and done.
It really does

Great job

Best front end look our trucks can have IMO
Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
urphbrphfrbaf is on a distinguished road
urphbrphfrbaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhead View Post
I opted not to cut anything. Install required removal of upper grille and bumper cover so I could get to the back of the bumper cover. A bit of measuring, and a really sharp awl to scribe holes. Then drill the holes. Didn't use the screws that came with it or the instructions, instead stainless 8-32 bolts and locknuts to attach, only mistake is that you can sorta see the mounting hardware thru it. Total time about 2 hours (would have been less if neighbor didn't ask me why I was taking apart the truck).
Attached Thumbnails
For those with Grillcraft MX series lower grilles...-part.jpg  
Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #16
urphbrphfrbaf is on a distinguished road
urphbrphfrbaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie Joe View Post
Heres what I did...
Wow. That looks very nice. Very clean.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #17
Coastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate/PSU 309
Name: Andy
Coastie Joe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by urphbrphfrbaf View Post
Wow. That looks very nice. Very clean.
Thanks! I did some cuttin and dremeling, and some high temp painting and thats the finished product... Not too shabby! I like it and so do my buddies so it was worth it! I wanna get a black X-runner cover for down below but I dont know where to start lookin!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
here's mine..and Gadget's

my water temps dropped an average of 8*F, max of 17*F from this grill. Lets alot more air flow over the core

Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
NJ92783 is on a distinguished road
NJ92783's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for bring this old thread back. I am just wondering did everyone who installed the grillcraft lower remove the bumper to do so like it states in the instructions? I installed the upper today removing the middle, relocating the horns and painting everything black. I didnt have the time and just want to be sure removing the bumper is what has to be done before doing so. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ92783 View Post
Sorry for bring this old thread back. I am just wondering did everyone who installed the grillcraft lower remove the bumper to do so like it states in the instructions? I installed the upper today removing the middle, relocating the horns and painting everything black. I didnt have the time and just want to be sure removing the bumper is what has to be done before doing so. Thanks in advance.
I removed mine.