Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

side airbags legal to drive without re installing

Old 11-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
daktex7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Davis
daktex7's Tacoma Gallery
side airbags legal to drive without re installing

So my side airbags deployed and was curious to make my car street legal do i have to replace them? Cant undeestand why they would be required....
Old 11-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to say yes since it is factory safety equipment. I know that removing your steering wheel and replacing it with a ricer wheel is illegal because you ditch the airbag.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
boogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JakeFromStateFarm
boogie3478's Tacoma Gallery
Since it seems like you don't want to fix them, did they deploy for something that happened where an insurance claim was not filed?
Old 11-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
RyanS is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
RyanS's Tacoma Gallery
In Texas I don't believe your required to have insurance
Old 11-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
daktex7's Tacoma Gallery
Insurance was not filed on a tip over.... and just need the wheels to get rolling again fix as i go type approach....
Old 11-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Why not call your DMV? Seems like this isn't the best place to be asking about possible legalities involving manufacturer installed safety equipment liabilities.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
Why not call your DMV? Seems like this isn't the best place to be asking about possible legalities involving manufacturer installed safety equipment liabilities.
Yes it is we are all lawyers on Tacoma world and can solver everyone's legal problems lol.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if its legal or illegal but they wont know as long as you dont get in another wreck so I'd say yes its drivable but whoever you are putting in the vehicle will be at higher risk of injury if you did end up wrecking again and if your going to eventually fix it I'd say just drive it.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
I think legally you can do whatever you want. I couldn't locate a specific law or regulation that would stop you.

Liability to a passenger would be something else entirely.Something you may need to consider.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
daktex7's Tacoma Gallery
Using tacoma world to see if anyone else has gone rhrough but thanks fornur input
Old 11-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
It's not illegal, but if you get in a crash and you have a passenger and they get injured and find out that you didn't have airbags you can be sued. Best to just fix the problem to protect yourself in the long run.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
I removed my airbags years ago. Get a basic roll cage and five points. If airbags worked so well every racing organization on earth would require them.