LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

When you put on a lift kit, don't you need a longer drive shaft?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
When you put on a lift kit, don't you need a longer drive shaft?

I notice lift kit ads everywhere that install shocks, springs etc and lift your truck 2-4 inches.

When you do this, doesn't the length of the rear axle become farther from it's previous/stock location?

If it's further away, doesn't the vehicle need to have a longer driveshaft?

Just trying to understand the physics of it. My mind is saying, if you live the truck one mile high, for instance or 4 inches higher. The result is the same...

Longer distance from transmission to rear axle. So I never see these kits offering any driveshaft changes.

Or am I wrong about my logic?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
When you do this, doesn't the length of the rear axle become farther from it's previous/stock location?

If it's further away, doesn't the vehicle need to have a longer driveshaft?

Or am I wrong about my logic?
You've got the right logic.... However - each driveshaft has a slip yoke which allows the driveshaft to move inward/outward depending on suspension travel. In most cases - that slip yoke has plenty of distance travel within it to compensate for mild/medium lifts. So it's not something that you need to be concerned with (for the most part).

In higher lifts - it all depends - you'll experience driveline angle problems before you experience 'length issues'.

If you have a high lift and a lot of suspension travel - you'll probably need a longer driveshaft .....however....it's the SLIP YOKE distance that's most important. The more distance in your slip yoke - the more that driveshaft can expand.

If you've ever heard about Revolver Shackles.....they allow your suspension to travel A LOT and having an extended slip yoke is a necessity when running them or else your driveshaft will pull outta the splines at the slip yoke.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
fitter565 is on a distinguished road

fitter565's Tacoma Gallery
+1, With the mild lifts that we can put on our trucks, the drive shaft only grows about a 1/2". Your thinking is correct but, the drive shaft and the truck run a such parallel angles the you don't see much growth.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Taco-Jenn/FJ-Kyle is on a distinguished road

Taco-Jenn/FJ-Kyle's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a good question, and some good info.... now which lift to choose?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
A 3" lift only stretches the slip yoke about 1/4". Most slip yokes can travel several inches in and out. Lots of room for movement up or down.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #6
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you community members and your knowledge.

I tried to ask some people at work, even those who had their trucks lifted, and they didn't know the answer.

These are the strange things that I lose sleep over. I wouldn't be able to comfortably be settled with any modification such as this unless I had this burning question answered.

My neuroses revealed.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-Jenn/FJ-Kyle View Post
Thats a good question, and some good info.... now which lift to choose?
If you're going for a 3" i think the most popular lifts are toytec and revtech
Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Thank you community members and your knowledge.

I tried to ask some people at work, even those who had their trucks lifted, and they didn't know the answer.

These are the strange things that I lose sleep over. I wouldn't be able to comfortably be settled with any modification such as this unless I had this burning question answered.

My neuroses revealed.
I feel your pain...I've always had the urge *to know* that kinda stuff.....

Don't ever lose that way of thinking - cuz that'll be the difference between doing something RIGHT (knowing what's involved) versus doing something half-azzed.

Good Luck with your modification plans! Have fun with it!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
If you're going for a 3" i think the most popular lifts are toytec and revtech
Boo for Revtek.

Check out Donahoe Racing, Camburg, or SwayAway. Here's a good place to shop. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm