1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Start Cancel in 2h While Parked & In Gear

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Nov 29, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    The woman tried to start my truck in 2h while in 1st gear and parked w the clutch start cancel button. It didn't fire up. It cranked for a second and then buzzed like it would if the battery was weak.

Is there any chance of damage to the starter or twisting up the mounting bolts?

I'm on the road trying to get home from Thanksgiving.

2. Nov 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Honestly not sure. If her foot wasn't on the brake and/or had the e-bake engaged its probably just a low battery. Truck should have crawled forward. If she had the truck locked down with the brakes, and all it did was buzz, then its probably okay as long as she didn't hold the key until wiring burnt up.

3. Nov 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    doawaterfowl

doawaterfowl Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma
    Im new to my taco, but I would like to think that hopefully this is a situation that toyota would have thought of when they installed this feature and hopefully what you have experienced is a failsafe. Im sure that it is not good on the starter, but if it damaged it or not, I dont know. Im guessing it kicks some sort of relay, gizmo, whatever that would kill power to the starter to prevent you from doing that again until maybe the key was turned off. Either way, I am keeping an eye on this thread as this is a new feature to me as well, and Im sure after a long night at work or hunting will happen to me at least once. Im going to consult my manual, I would suggest you do the same. Im sure someone with more knowledge than me will have an anwser.

4. Nov 30, 2014 at 1:31 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    Does it start and drive? Then it's fine.

5. Nov 30, 2014 at 1:32 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    Doubtful. It can't really happen "by accident", the switch has to be deliberately pressed. Once you cycle the ignition off, it resets to the default off setting.

6. Nov 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    That's a troll Right??

7. Nov 30, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    I doubt it.

I've been driving standard shift trannies for years (I have an auto now), I don't know exactly what the CSC button does either.

8. Nov 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    It allows you to crawl to a start if you stall. The starter will power you forward (in 4L) allowing you to have your feet available for the skinny pedal and brake in a situation where rollback could be dangerous. It could be used to crawl out of a situation where the engine won't start, but that's not the intention.

Many people just use it to start their truck in the morning to warm it up without actually getting in their rig, another unintended use.

Edit: It wasn't good for the starter, but should be okay OP.

9. Nov 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Thanks Siesta :thumbsup:

10. Nov 30, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Exactly.
    I've done it several times when i had my 2010. No problem.

11. Nov 30, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    '
    Then I learned something new. Thanks.

I'd not expect the small starter and small attachment flanges to be able to support moving the whole truck with out damage.

12. Nov 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco

I Gotta Ask. Why Maple Syrup?

13. Nov 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    ???

14. Nov 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    and all Canadians are in the maple syrup industry

15. Nov 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    QUOTE=OZ-T;9507256]and all Canadians are in the maple syrup industry[/QUOTE]

:canada: :thumbsup:

16. Nov 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    From Toyota, "The switch allows the vehicle to be driven out of difficult situations by cranking the engine with the clutch engaged" It does go on to say "don't use it to start the truck"

17. Dec 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    doawaterfowl

doawaterfowl Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma
    I understand that. My point was that one could fail to put the truck in neutral before cranking which I am reading correctly is what happened in this instance. I would do everything I could not to use it to crawl the truck of course but it is cool that they have that feature. I was taught heel toe kind of deal for that.

18. Dec 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    my understand is the cancel is for a situation where you're on an incline and stall and don't want to roll back driving normally so you can use the starter to crank you forward.

19. Dec 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Ive used it in the dirt. It doesnt feel right. Makes the truck do weird Winding shit. It works. On a hill if you have no e brake experience, but you pry shouldnt be driving a stick if you cant take off using the handle on a hill.
    the truck should be fine. I mostly use it for lazy switch

20. Dec 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Why was this women in your truck to start with?

Products Discussed in

To Top