1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damage at the Dealership: Don't let them do it!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wanna taco, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    fyi guys, the dealer has to mount a front plate in CA.its a dmv law and all dealers and salespeople have a license and that license can be taken away.
    it happens when the car get pdi'ed(pre delivery inspection)

we had a big issue with this when i was selling Porsche.people buying a 140K car dont want a front plate too.

it sucks and my person car had it too.
    believe me the dealer doesnt want to put it on as it costs them money as the pay a tech to do it.
    the funny part is that some cars come from the factory with mounting brackets for a plate holder and some cars you drill right into the bumper:eek:

2. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wrong.

3. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco [OP] What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Really yourself, torque wrench guy. You're the guy that would demand a new truck for an accident that was repaired by them? And no, they don't have to legally drill the holes.

4. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    That plastic front bumper is going to get ripped off anyway. Don't worry about it.

5. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    For a used car that may work, but a new car has no plates at all so where's your "dealer has to" on that?

6. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    I almost told them that but let it slip! Damn!

7. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    i did the job for over 20yrs(sales/finance/sales manager)
    you really think you know more then me about this? buzz wrong!!!

all cars in the state of California has to have two plates,no way around this.
    dealer have to comply or loose there sales license

8. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I know 7 dealers on the verge of losing their license then for well over a decade now..

9. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Apples to oranges my friend. An accident, like the other person who they forgot to put lugnuts on.... NOT ACCEPTABLE AT ALL.

That stated if you signed something that said they would no drill the front bumper than stick it to them, make them give you an undrilled front bumper im all for having the dealer do exactly what you tell them to do especially if you signed something.

But god damn karma is a bitch and ill bet even if you never had a front ticket plate, Ill bet you that you will magically get a ticket for causing sucha ruckus over 2 holes to be compliant with THE LAW.

If it were me, and i had signed something like that.... out of spite id make them get a new bumper paint it and right there in the dealer lot once they gave it back to me, right in front of all of them... id bring out my hand drill, tape measure blue tape and drill 2 holes for my plate and drive off.

And lastly sir, and this is probably the biggest thing, that over everything above i would listen to. Bumper covers come unpainted. This means the dealer will have to paint it, getting colors matched is pretty good today, but your probably not going to have that perfect match you currently have from the factory paint especially that sexy Barcelona red!

10. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    josefmd

josefmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Springboro OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 4R TRD Pro Cement. 2023 Tacoma Off-Road Lunar Rock
    Yeah total BS!! I am lucky my truck was bought in IN were I guess no front piste is required, so no ugly freaking front plate bracket on my truck. OH for now still requires it, but it's been up for vote up in Columbus for a while to do away with front plates here. I think my last 4 cars came with no front plate brackets and were all limited production type's, Mitsu EVO's, Subaru STI's, and a Integra Type R...

11. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    I''ve thought about plugs. That's a for sure maybe if I can't get the dealer to trade bumpers for me.

On your other idea of dealer trade, that could certainly happen, but mine was special order from the factory, so they drilled it while I was in Finance signing the waiver.

12. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM
    kpatr

kpatr Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '14 RC 4x4
    x2...

Its a completely different scenario. You drove your property up to the shop, and had them do previously specified work to your vehicle. In the above instance, they are selling their property off to you. After cash down and paper work signed, it would be in their best interest to ensure that you drive off their lot in a vehicle that meets the standards set by the law. In this case, with a front plate. And because theres a determined spot for that front plate, I don't see the big deal in a dealership using that space (those 2 dimples) to mount that front plate.

To the OP's credit, if you don't want it... make it clear during the purchase. Otherwise... suck it up. Thats where the front plate typically goes, and by manufactures specs... where it should go.

Im no fan of the stealership, but I'd side with them in a heartbeat should new-owners attempt to have THEM pay for tickets due to the lack of a front plate.

13. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    DupliColor color match paint on some plastic bumper plugs from a parts house. Done? ;)

Or you could raise hell, but I'm kinda thinking the time to have had that issue corrected was when you walked outside and saw a front plate holder mounted. :eek:

14. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Josef, I just sold my 1977 Chevrolet El Camino, California registered since new, never EVER had a front plate. That's what makes me sick about the dealer taking it on his own to drill my bumper.

15. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I was waiting for someone to say that. When I walked out and saw it, I was bummed out, but I wasn't sure it wasn't predrilled. I shoulda bitched then, I know.

16. Dec 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    I just remembered, my sales manager took pictures for me for my scrapbook as it was delivered! As you can see, it was straight from Mexico, with no holes drilled!

IMG950365.jpg
    20141028_120608.jpg
    2014102895120445.jpg
    20141028_120542.jpg

17. Dec 1, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Wrong, there are other options to mount a front plate that don't require drilling.

18. Dec 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    Gerry Pope

Gerry Pope Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 PreRunner
    Wrong.. I bought my Vette from a GM dealer in Costa Mesa CA, and it did not
    Have a front plate.. All of the Vettes on their lot have no front plate. They have been doing it that way for years.. They didn't seem to be too worried about
    Losing their sales license.

19. Dec 2, 2014 at 12:15 AM
    Zealous1

Zealous1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD's
    Kings & SC
    20141202_000330_resized (2).jpg

This is what the dealer had me sign.

20. Dec 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    You should buy a no drill license plate bracket and cover the drilled license plate bracket holes. Then demand a new truck with extended service agreement that covers any future drilled license plate bracket holes.

Products Discussed in

To Top