1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Some Funky Noises On My 2014 (and an introduction)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Max Cow Disease, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    Max Cow Disease

Max Cow Disease [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Spruce Mica
    Hi there,

I'm a new citizen of Tacoma World but have lurked the 2nd Gen forum quite a bit the past few years. Some great stuff in here!

Anyway, I leased a 2014 DCLB (in spruce mica) in August and absolutely love the thing. My first Tacoma was a 2006 RWD SR5 that I purchased used in 2011. It served me well but the 2014 is just that much more refined and capable for the Canadian winter. We've had some pretty hectic weather already here in Alberta, but this truck (with winter tires also) has me actually looking forward to that next snowstorm!

I'd originally wanted to wait until the redesign and was also a little hesitant with the new GM's coming out, but at the end of the day Tacomas have always been my favourite vehicle and having now seen the Canyon/Colorado, the Taco is still the leanest and meanest looking truck on the road by far, irrespective of size.

But I digress once again. It's going to the dealer in a few days in the hopes that they'll be able to diagnose and remedy some abnormal noises. The first is a weird knocking/rattling (emanating from somewhere just inside, under, or behind the cab by the way it sounds) that really took off once the cold weather hit, and the other is squeaky rear suspension that sounds to be nothing more than the leaf springs that everyone seems to complain about.

Regarding the weird knock, it became extremely noticeable when the temperatures got super frigid the other day, and is most often triggered by driving over abrupt bumps of some sort (manhole, hard packed snow/ice on roads, etc). I warmed the thing up in a heated garage for a few hours and could barely replicate the noise after taking it back out, and never noticed it during the first couple months of driving the truck in warmer temperatures. It's prominent now though and yet very hard to locate. I've had a couple people in the back listen for it, including myself, and even had the shop foreman from the dealer drive it today so he could hear it in advance of my service appointment.

Any ideas on what it could be, and why it's so temperature dependant? Bolts somewhere? Something behind that black cargo piece behind the rear seats? Is the bed itself contracting in the cold and causing the noise? I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting and am at a loss. The lame thing is that it's warming up throughout the week and the techs may not be able to reproduce the sound that easily.

I'd better cut off the long post before things get out of hand. Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Just gonna throw out some possibilities. Loose bed bolts, spare tire (try tightening the hoist ), check and see if anything is in the bed storage boxes.

This past summer i started having a noise from the rear. I keep meaning to look into it but keep forgetting when the time would be right. I'm gonna check the spare tire and the rear suspension.

Mine started out sounding like a chain rattle, but now sounds like an odd squish type noise when hitting bumps.

3. Dec 1, 2014 at 10:12 PM
    Max Cow Disease

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Spruce Mica
    Yeah mine's a very abrupt knock or creaking sound, which makes the bed bolts sound like the most plausible option out of what you listed (I could also imagine that the bed material contracts a bit in the cold).

It sounds a little too imminently close to the cabin to be the spare, and most of the time seems to favour the right side.

4. Dec 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    Max Cow Disease

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Spruce Mica
    Also, I had the "ticking/chirping" blower motor issue on my 2006 and eventually installed the updated motor. I take it that the 2014's already come equipped with that newer part?

Has anyone noticed that the updated motor has a tendency to be a bit noisy in its own right? Not so much a chirp or tick, but almost more of a whine.

5. Dec 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the family. Spare tire is a candidate here, for sure. If the techs don't figure it out, just start with the simple stuff. You'll probably solve the problem with tightening something they overlook.

6. Dec 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    surfinsteve

surfinsteve Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-O
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab
    Billy 5100's front with 2.5" and rear stock, driver seat raised, dynomax muffler
    check under your back seats. the jack/tools, whatever else might be in there could have come loose and are knocking around?

spare tire is a good call too though.

7. Dec 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northside of Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma BAJA T/X dcsb
    Weathertech floor mats, Go Rhino Dominator II step bars, EGR in channel ventshades, homemade spare tire bed rack, hitch step, K&N air filter and cabin air filter, 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac's, Phillips LED headlights, Yellow Jacket yellow foglights, led back up lights, Mobtown tailgate stiffener, Wheeler's 3 leaf add a leaf, Firestone ride rite airbags, Bentrodders bed reinforcement stiffeners, PIAA windshield wipers
    There's also another member who found out that his U-bolts were only finger tight, might want to check those as well.

8. Dec 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Dumb question , have you looked in the rear cubbies behind the rear seats for loose items like the stupid flashlight holder and / or bed cleats etc ?

9. Dec 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    Max Cow Disease

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Spruce Mica
    Yeah I've ridden in the back and been able to determine that it wasn't anything loose back there, though that was my initial assumption. With it being so tied to cold temperature it must be a bolt in the bed somewhere or something just beneath the area where the bed and cabin meet. I'll take another look at the spare to make sure.

10. Dec 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I read you had it in a heated garage , so presumably it's not an ice build up under the bed or between the bed and cab ?

I know when I get snow / ice between my cap and cab it makes a hell of a racket

11. Dec 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    Max Cow Disease

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Spruce Mica

That's what I was hoping it was with the whole garage experiment. When I pulled it back out it was quiet for maybe 10 minutes but started again though. Puzzling.

It seems impossible to recreate when the vehicle's stationary.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions thus far!

12. Dec 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I was listening for my noise today. Going over a speed bump at an angle very slowly and it is making an odd creaky noise from the rear. I'm guessing it's my leaf springs.

13. Dec 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Good luck , hope you figure it out

14. Dec 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    Max Cow Disease

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Spruce Mica
    Could the cab mounts possibly be making noise? I've read of that being an issue on Tacos quite early on, so I'm not sure if any of the newer models would have that issue.

15. Dec 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Something that I just discovered that was making noise is my hood. Another member in a different thread was saying their hood was was creaking, so I decided to check mine because my truck was making a noise. Sure enough, once I opened the hood and bounced on the door jam the noise was no longer present.

16. Feb 9, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    Max Cow Disease

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Spruce Mica
    Looks like this was my cab bolts. Specifically the rear passenger side. Had all the telltale "symptoms" I've read about in other people who had the issue...colder it was, worse it became, sounded just like a ping pong ball bouncing around, etc. Had it in to the dealer a couple times and finally convinced them to order up the parts and replace the bolts. They did the two rear cab mounts and the sound is gone. Part of the job is replacing a "cushion" that's in there i guess, which was perhaps the culprit.

Not sure why a cab mount would be like that out of the factory essentially, but oh wel!

Products Discussed in

To Top