1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you buy another Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10ptXtreme, Dec 2, 2014.

?

Buy another Tacoma or Something Else?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2015.
  1. Yes, I'd buy another one

132 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. No, I'm getting something else

27 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. Dec 2, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    10ptXtreme

10ptXtreme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    After reading a number of posts talking about the multitude of issues with Tacomas (vibrations, lack of MPGs, rust issues...etc) and also the posts comparing the Tacoma to the next generation of competitors trucks, it made me curious about this question. If you had to buy a new truck 1 yr from now and the Tacoma remains virtually as it is currently, ie no major overhaul, would you buy another one? Or would you go with a something else? And for sake of this arguement, switching to another Toyota SUV is not an option...

What say you???

David

2. Dec 2, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    No, only because of the new tech coming out in the midsize truck market in the next couple years.

If it was totaled tomorrow that's a different story though.

3. Dec 2, 2014 at 6:05 AM
    JustPassinThru

JustPassinThru Well-Known Member

Member:
    Until something changes drastically...I'll stick with a Toyota.

I don't LIKE where they went with the styling...where they're going as a company. I thought the Gen1 was a winner, although with the goofy grille they used in 1997-2000. But, reliability...in almost ALL their car lines...second to none.

Take the frame rust. That's not characteristic of new Toyotas (although I remember when they were made of paper-thin rolled sheetmetal and rusted out in two years) but the thing to remember is, Toyota is addressing the issue. New frame for a truck? Unheard of, over at the Ford or Chevy store. I remember when a five-year-old truck, Ford or Chevrolet, would have big sheets of body metal coming off from rust; how the bed would collapse on itself from rust...and eventually the cab, too, break through the frame and leave the whole thing looking like a plastic model that had melted.

That, in five to ten years. I got my license in 1975; and although I always liked the 1965-66 Chevrolet truck, specimens worth owning were RARE. Fords of that era, even more rare.

The German cars used to be the quality benchmark; and they STILL are engineered very well. FOR USE - not for durability. THAT is where Toyota shines.

Once upon a time, 100,000 miles in a vehicle was a really-rare event. Today, Toyotas with that mileage are selling for five figures.

Yup...unless they have a complete meltdown in terms of product quality, I'll buy more Toyotas.

4. Dec 2, 2014 at 6:10 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    I'd like to see what is available in a Tacoma re-design. Until then, ill stick with my 2nd gen. Nothing has overly impressed me to covert to another brand, by design or reputation. Ship some Hilux trucks over and i'll be happy till the day i die.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  5. Dec 2, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    These are my thoughts exactly. If I wanted or needed a mid-size truck, the Tacoma would be my first option, although I like the Frontier as well.

However, that's not the market that I'm in for my next vehicle, and Toyota is not even a consideration for my next purchase.

6. Dec 2, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Because there is no real other mid sized import truck contender right now, the answer is yes. The aftermarket following is just too great to ignore also.

7. Dec 2, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    CVTejas

CVTejas CVTejas

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport
    Farad Cold Air Intake, BFG All Terrains, ARE Z-Series Deluxe Fiberglass Top w/ Keyless Entry and LED interior lighting,Road Armor front bumper w PIAA 510 driving lights, Edlebrock adjustable shocks w factory coils, road Armor front bumper. Kenwood DDX8901HD
    Interesting thread and very timely for me. I have a 2010 DC 4x4 that has 94,500 and is at the dealership getting the front differential and right front drive shaft replaced. Toyota gave me a 2014 to drive while it's being repaired.

Outside of the new stereo with Bluetooth integration and the option for leather seats, I don't see a reason to buy new. I can add the katskin seats and an aftermarket stereo and save 30,000.

If they would add the power rear window they offer in the tundra and offer either a small v-8 or increase the mpg to 25 on the v-6, I'd consider a new one. This one is going to stay with me 3 more years and become my sons first truck.

8. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:01 AM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    If I plan to stay in the midsize truck market, Hands down Tacoma. For many reasons.

I don't know where I'll be at in my life when my truck hits 300k, so we will see.

9. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Yes. It fits my needs as a DD/ commuter truck for work.

10. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I have no need for a full size, but no use for a car. So, I'd stick with a midsize pickup.

I'll never buy a GM or Chrysler product, so they're both out no matter what they come up with. If Ford came up with a competitor, I'd look at it. I like the Frontier almost as much, so I'd certainly consider that in the future as well.

In the end, probably would get another Tacoma.

11. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    This was my first tacoma, bought about 1 1/2 months ago. While i am not real unhappy, I probably would have waited a while or until the next gen came out with what i know now. My biggest gripe is the build quality, it feels like im driving a tin can. I drive over sand covered roads and all i hear is ping ping ping in the wells and underneath. While it may not be an indication of reliability, i feel if paying for a $30k plus truck, it needs some better build. I wonder if the 2nd gens have been like this from the beginning, or if there are cost saving measures. However, this is my first truck and that i love so my gripes are overshadowed by being able to do truck things, like just throw stuff in the bed. I will have to read up on the new colorado/canyons in 2-3 years when their bugs are worked out and decide from there.

12. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I did buy another one. This is my second tacoma. As for the chevy product, yeah right. Chevy is known for building junk. I'm not going to spend that much money on something that's going to fail.

13. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    No, but only because, by the time I need another car, I'll have two kids. When I bought the truck I was childless.

That being said, I really want to get a bigger truck, keep the Taco and make it a dedicated off-road rig.

14. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    Ehc0720

Ehc0720 Active Member

Member:
    I'll probably get a 4Runner next.

15. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    At this rate of use, it will take me another 15 years on my '11 to hit 300k miles, and perhaps then I will decide if I should buy another one.

In all reality, my '11 AC is a keeper, and perhaps I will buy a 1 ton diesel dually to do what this truck doesn't do, but I am in no hurry. Every month this truck lives AFTER payoff in a few months frees up money for other projects and other adventures. I see no reason to replace this truck in the next five years as long it as stays as fun and reliable to drive.

16. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Not only would I buy another one, I'd buy the exact same one. If for some reason my truck was ever totaled, I would seek out and purchase the exact same truck including year, color, and options. I like my "old" tech, no traction control, mechanical LSD 2008 DCLB Sport 4X4.

17. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    Yes, Why would anyone spend their money on a vehicle that did not retain it's value as well as Toyota? Sure, Tacoma's, like any vehicle, has it's quirks but those can be overcome with proper maintenance and, lest we forget, at the end of the day, it is a Truck.

18. Dec 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    BBBsti LTD

BBBsti LTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    I would definitely buy another. There is nothing like knowing you own a good solid vehicle with one if the best resale value. Selling a car with a shitty resale value can be a pain in the ass.

I don't want crappy electronics or more stuff to break down the road give me a solid proven platform.

The only change I would like is MPGs. I will be happy if I could get 25 mpg out of my truck thou.

19. Dec 2, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    I'm on my 3rd Taco

driving this one into the ground.. and then will most likely get another one.. or possibly a Tundra (will have a growing family by then I'm sure)

20. Dec 2, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    DouginNC

DouginNC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2014 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I agree with this statement and I would buy another Tacoma. I've owned two new Chevy's in my life and both developed problems 1) an engine rebuild was required, and 2) a transmission rebuild was required. I'll probably never buy another GM product.

Products Discussed in

To Top