Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

10,000 miles and I've got a dash rattle!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
semoak is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
semoak's Tacoma Gallery
10,000 miles and I've got a dash rattle!

I just turned over 10k on my 14 and I've got a damn rattle coming from the dash! I just fixed a rattle a couple weeks ago in the driver door... now this is going to drive me nuts! my wife says it's a truck and it's supposed to make noise. I expect there to be some squeaking and rattling down the road but at 10,000, wtf! Sorry, just venting
Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
luvium is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
luvium's Tacoma Gallery
I had rattles I the first week, where on the dash? I wedged a small triangle of rubber between the window and the center of the dash. Rattle gone. I agree t it sucks, but you will work through them one at a time.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
C4 Fabrication is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
C4 Fabrication's Tacoma Gallery
My 05 just started rattling real bad on the passenger side dash. sounds like there is a pen bouncing around under there on gravel roads! Not trying to jack your thread, but I understand how you feel! Does anyone know what causes these issues or an easy fix?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Trucks will be trucks. My Tacoma is like a Rolls Royce compared to my 1997 Powerstroke though, it jars the hell out of me and rattles like no other. You just learn to tune the noise out after awhile. Least that's the way I do it.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

semoak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvium View Post
I had rattles I the first week, where on the dash? I wedged a small triangle of rubber between the window and the center of the dash. Rattle gone. I agree t it sucks, but you will work through them one at a time.
I think by the windshield but I can't isolate it. It went away completely for a little tonight after my truck warmed up, then started doing it again.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

semoak's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone else had success by putting something between the windshield and dash?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
blah blah blah
inesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

inesshell's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to inesshell
i had a rattle behind the glove box, insulated some wires and it was gone.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

semoak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by inesshell View Post
i had a rattle behind the glove box, insulated some wires and it was gone.
The rattling in my door was from the window motor wires. They are just free ballin in there smacking up against stuff. Doesn't make any sense that Toyota wouldn't think about that type of thing
Old 12-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
luvium is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
luvium's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by semoak View Post
I think by the windshield but I can't isolate it. It went away completely for a little tonight after my truck warmed up, then started doing it again.
Yes, rattle was only on cold mornings and after she warmed up it was gone
Old 12-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Mmmmm, bacon
OffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OffsetPlayer2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is exactly how mine does it. I've got an 11. It was really bad during the summer. I'd go to work still early and cool in the morning so no rattle. After sitting in the sun baking all day, it would drive me crazy all the way home. Any small tiny bump would result in rattles near the windshield. Even now since it's getting colder out. Most days I don't hear anything, but on the occasional warmer day it'll rattle after sitting in the sun warming up. Not really sure what it is but would like to find a fix for it.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
prerunner 06 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Medic
Name: David
prerunner 06's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a rattle during cold weather that's not there during summer months. I forced a small piece of Velcro between the small storage pocket (under r side of steering wheel) between that and the main radio/heater console. Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just turned over 10k on my 14 and I've got a damn rattle coming from the dash! I just fixed a rattle a couple weeks ago in the driver door... now this is going to drive me nuts! my wife says it's a truck and it's supposed to make noise. I expect there to be some squeaking and rattling down the road but at 10,000, wtf! Sorry, just venting
Your wife is smart. But a little rattle at 10k is all you have. You should be happy. Then again take it back to toyota and have them fix it
Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
LET IT EAT®
SLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SLOBRA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvium View Post
I have that rattle. Mine is being generated by the AC duct directly underneath the front+center of the dash, over bumps the duct bounces up and down and taps the underside of the dash. Wedging something between the windshield and dash forces the dash down against the duct and the rattle goes away.

If I remove the radio and reach back there I can wiggle the AC duct up and down and duplicate the sound. Maybe a zip-tie around the duct to hold it down away from the dash, or some foam between the dash and duct. I dunno. I've looked in there and can't think of a more elegant fix than wedging something below the windshield.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
If you turn the radio up it makes them go away. Thats how I fix my rattles...
Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #16

semoak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
If you turn the radio up it makes them go away. Thats how I fix my rattles...
Tried that along with heater all the way up! I can still hear it...It's a mental game now.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #17

semoak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357sig View Post
Your wife is smart. But a little rattle at 10k is all you have. You should be happy. Then again take it back to toyota and have them fix it
I work at a dealership so they look at me like I'm crazy. I already had the driver side leafs replaced and the door checked out here.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
Wheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Wheelspinner's Tacoma Gallery
Just wait till the truck is older haha. Just kidding my truck has it's share of rattles but it seems like it's mostly in the morning when the temp outside is around freezing or lower