1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm very lost.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Xewkija631, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Dec 6, 2014 at 2:15 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Just get an el Camino.

2. Dec 6, 2014 at 2:53 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    That is why I can never quite 'sign the line' on a brand new truck.
    The thought of 5-10 grand falling off the truck's value before I set the pen down just gives my the dry-heaves. :p

3. Dec 6, 2014 at 3:00 AM
    D1gger

D1gger Member

Member:
    I recently sold my wife's BMW and got her into a 09 DC PreRunner, and one of my biggest selling points to her was how these trucks retain their value. Her car was a 2007 328xi, which I sold myself for $9K. I was offered 6500-7000 on trade. A similar year Tacoma was selling for nearly $10K more than her car, and I bet the BMW cost $15K more when new.
    The point I'm making is that we are willing to give up a few "nice to have's" in order to have a solid, dependable truck that doesn't cost a fortune to fix and will be worth something when we are done with it. Unless you are working in or out of your truck, or pulling something heavy, you might try to make the Tacoma work for you. Do a cost /benefit analysis and be sure to include the values of what the trucks would be worth 5 years down the road-you'll end up keeping your Tacoma.

4. Dec 6, 2014 at 3:02 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Of the two choices for domestic. GM obviously isn't concerned with building a quality vehicle and IMO Fords are just plain ugly :vomit:
    Why don't you get a nice used ricer for job sight hopping? Pay off the Tacoma (she can sit in the back in the mean time). By then the next gen. Tacoma will be out and it will probably be a full size.:D

5. Dec 6, 2014 at 3:31 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    How is getting $1000.00 less than what you want "really good"?

6. Dec 6, 2014 at 3:48 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    I went from a Taco to a Tundra (2nd one now) and its not that big of a difference in mileage. On my first Tundra (doublecab 3" / 35" /18") I was getting around 12 mixed.....I traded it in for the Crewmax Limited and I am now getting around 15-16MPG mixed..stock...I truly enjoy the extra room, extra features, and power that comes with it (5.7)...I miss the Taco for wheeling.....but that's why I either borrow someone's, or ride passenger when there's a wheeling trip I want to attend to.

7. Dec 6, 2014 at 4:45 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Buy

8. Dec 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    TacOffRoad11

TacOffRoad11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Georgetown, KY
    Vehicle:
    '18 F150 XLT
    I went from a truck almost identical to yours to a F150 ECOBOOST. I have needed a full size for quite some time and the Tundra was never an option for me. Just personal preference. I miss my Tacoma, but Im happy with what I bought in the end.

Some observations. When I'm not pulling a trailer, I average anywhere from 18.5-20 mpg driving to work and other places. About the same as my Taco. Pulling either one of my trailers, one is a 14 foot enclosed toy hauler and the other is a 16 foot flat bottom, fully loaded I average around 13-14. In the Tacoma, I barely got 10.

Im not a large guy, 6'0 220, but I had a hard time finding a comfortable seat position and having a large car seat in the back seat was a pain if anyone besides my wife and I were going somewhere in it. I dont have that problem in the Ford. Now, the flip side of that, the Tacoma did better managing off road and through some of the creek beds that are on the farm I live on. It was also easier to park when Im out mall crawling.

Comparing the Tacoma against any full size truck is hard. For what the Tacoma is, its a great truck and arguably the best midsize out there. But, its about personal preference when it comes to what you can live with daily.

Ultimately, at the end of the day, do what you need to do and works best for you, your family and your budget. The Tacoma sells quick on a lot, regardless of the manufacture, but I think if you tried you could get a little more out of selling it privately. Good luck!

9. Dec 6, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    I would probably sell it private! You can start out with as much as you want, and may still get more.
    I had a Chevy silverado before i bought my Tacoma, i liked it. But it's horrible on gas, long and big, i feel like im driving a semi lol

10. Dec 6, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    He can trade it in and be done - or list on ebay/craigslist etc and entertain people bsing him, low balling him, scheduling time for people to see it and basically wasting his time for $1000. Another thing to consider is with a trade in he will only pay sales tax on the balance.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    My 09 was just appraised at only 2k less than I paid for it new. Tacos do not ever lose 5k driving it off the lot.

12. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road

Because 1k isn't a lot of money when you are over 20k

13. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    not sure how the trade ins work in the usa but here in canada when trading in we don't pay tax on the trade value, so getting a bit less than what you might sell for private balances out in the end and clearly saves the time and effort if the numbers are right.

my reg cab 4 cyl taco vs my reg cab 5.0 V8 f150;

taco mileage on hwy at 65-70 mph is 13litres per 100km
    ford same as above

fully loaded the tacoma was worse than the ford.

comfort - this shouldn't even be compared! the ford is way more comfy. i think the fox suspension is way smoother than the ome stuff on the road. but in stock for the ford is still more comfy due to better seats and more space.

the taco had ome 3 inch lift with 32x10.5 dc mud countries
    the ford has 2.5 inch fox lift with 33x11.5 cooper st maxx tires

both with caps on the bed

to be completely honest there are two things the tacoma was way better for, the 1st being wheeling, the second was it just looked way cooler

if you are not wheeling and use your truck for hauling a full size is just better, most ppl with fords seem really happy. even the base v6 has 300hp and comes with the option of 3.73 of 4.10 gear ratios.

you are likely very aware of the dodge diesel and that nissan has their diesel coming out next yr. good way to save gas but big jump in price that may never balance out unless you drive a shit-ton.

good luck!

14. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    DirtyBird

DirtyBird Active Member

Member:
    southern CA
    Vehicle:
    01 4x SR5
    little razzle dazzle
    spread those wings bro and fly.

15. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    very useful input!

16. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    The root question you are asking was already answered, by you, in your original post. I rearranged it for you, above.

If you don't want the hassle of dealing with tire kickers and druish prospective buyers, and you are within $1000 of your goal selling price anyway, and you will be pocketing $10,000 after sale and payoff; I would say to do it. $1000 is a small price to pay to move the truck right now and not have to deal with jackwagons.

Beyond that, I don't have an opinion. Buy what you like.

Edit, I read your post as stating that you would be selling it outright to a dealer for $22,000; or did you mean a trade in at $22,000? Everyone else seems to have read it as a trade in....?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  17. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    gazingwa

gazingwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Slower Lower Delaware
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner Doublecab 2.7
    OEM: Backup Camera, Bed Mat, Wiper Switch. Aftermarket: Fog Lights, Pop and Lock, Truxport, MS2's Debadged
    You also have to take into consideration your trade credit on sales tax. Depending on what state you are in, it could make that 1k difference and then some.

I used to live in Maryland, if you sold that truck for 23k privately, you would then pay full sales tax on the car you are buying. If you traded it in for 22k, you would save 6% of 22k in sales tax which would add up to $1320 being equivalent of a $23,320 private sale. In Delaware it would be 3.75% which is $825 in trade in tax savings.

18. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    Fair enough Doc, and I agree they hold the value better than most vehicles.

I'm just a cheap bastid about some things.
    As soon as I see the salesman grinning, I feel like I'm getting rooked somehow. :eek:

Props to you from an old Jarhead! :)

19. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    TW ask a question and get all the unwanted advice/comments you could ever need.

OP. If you are ok with 22k go get your ram or other full size.

Ram 1500 is a great truck. Almost bought a new one last year but really didn't want another full size. So I waited a year and ended up with a Tacoma that fits m and my needs perfectly.

I'd stay away from the ecoboost after seeing my friends and Co workers have them and have problem after problem. They traded back into v8s or went diesel. And the diesel trucks have a whole other set of stuff to fail and have problems with as my friend with the duramax has found. His is in the shop more than on the road.

20. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    Toyotaguy

Toyotaguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Sockmonkey decals - cold air intake - tanneau - window vent - bug shield - seat covers - yellow fogs - fog anytime mod
    Have an 09 Tacoma, over 6' tall and live on LI dealing with the gas prices among all the other money spent to live here. As now looking getting an RV trailer next year I will probably look to trade for a Chevy otherwise love my Tacoma and trading in is only for my needs.

To sell privately you will get a better price but watch as you can save on the tax trading in so consider both options and where the dollar falls in your favor.

Products Discussed in

To Top