1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME DAKAR OVERLOAD SPRING REMOVAL?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ca Taco, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Dec 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    Ca Taco

Ca Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    El Cajon
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg cab 4x4 2.7 auto
    The stock rear springs on my 2012 single cab 4x4 took a negative set right off the dealer lot. The soft springs allowed the axle to change angle upon takeoff and stops resulting in driveshaft vibs, driving me nuts. I removed the stock overloads and installed Icon AAL's which ended the vibs and improved performance through high speed dips (Fox shocks helping). Now, the main leaf has taken an "s" set causing the AAL's the flaten almost negative again. I just received a set of OME Dakars today and was surprised to see two HUGE overload springs mounted on the spring pack. As I need as much articulation as I can get, I will remove the OME overloads as the main spring pack is twice that of stock without them. My question is for those who have already done this. Any flatting problems with the Dakars with the overloads removed? I've read posts where recommendations were made to retain the lower overload. Your thoughts?

image.jpg

2. Dec 5, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Why did you buy Dakars if your prerequisite was maximum articulation ?

agunday21 and ChadsPride like this.
  3. Dec 5, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    Ca Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    El Cajon
    Vehicle:
    Maximum articulation would require abandoning the stock configuration completely. As I cannot modify the gas tank and emission related components (Ca smog visual inspection), I'm forced to stick with a leaf spring configuration. After studying my options (i.e. Deaver) I settled on the most cost effective option: EMU. I have a nice fab shop and skills to fabricate but I can't get past the stupid CA reg's. I wanted to design a cantilever setup (JK), but the dang gas tank is in the way of linking the rear end and there's no room to three or four link the rear from the back and allow the installation of the horizonal mounted shocks. The IFS limits the potential unless I go to long travel, which I won't at this time as I'd need to change to glass fenders. The dang thing has taken me over stuff in it's current configuration which I'd never thought possible. I just need to fix the blanking rear springs.

4. Dec 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    There are a couple guys here that have removed the upper overload and others remove the 3rd leaf down from the top as per ARB spec but I think you would be the first I have heard of removing both overloads

5. Dec 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM
    Ca Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    El Cajon
    Vehicle:
    Even if I pound them flat, they have to be better than what I have now. Overloades kill droop, but lack of overloads kills springs. I'll go with the later. I appreciate your posts and please share any insight you might have regaring my objective. Thanks.

6. Dec 5, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Looking forward to your post install height to include in my Dakar measurement thread

7. Dec 5, 2014 at 9:10 PM
    Jareds Toyota

Jareds Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD Sport
    why not remove the third leaf and the upper overload??

mgw24 likes this.
  8. Dec 5, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    I am running Dakars with the top overload removed. The Dakars fixed all my issues with the stock springs.

9. Dec 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM
    n.gardner

n.gardner Spacer Hater

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    OME 3" 887s + Dakars 1" 4 Crawler BL Pro-Comp Uniballs Nitrochargers + Super Bumps Diff Drop + Drive Shaft Drop
    little stiffer i think, but i still em

10. Dec 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Not one in the know, how do overloads adversely effect flex? Presuming that your OL have an arc like a slight frown, I figured that this makes sure the rest of the spring pack doesn't bend beyond spec. Is removing it worth the risk of damage?

OP. Contact these guys. They may have some ideas for your linking desires.
    http://giantmotorsports.com
    Check out their DD Link kit.

11. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    I also removed one of the overload leafs for no other reason than I didn't want the full lift height. That way it keeps the same spring rate and about 1/2" less lift. That along with my 5100's up front with OME 885 coils it made the truck pretty much perfectly level. It has an ever so slight rake.

freddy2923, scottalot and Norton like this.
  12. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Now that I can see doing.

13. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    I have top overload removed and the pack performs great. I didn’t do this to limit the height I would get from them, but to allow the pack to flex better on uptravel. With the longer overload leaf in place on up travel the pack would run into it real quick which would in turn run into the bottom overload. This hindered the flex of the pack when offroading, specifically at moderate speed over bigger bumps. By removing the top overload I can now say the pack performs real well and is in fact my favorite riding pack (street and offroad) out of the other packs I tried. It also still supports the weight rather well since the shorter over load does a good job supporting the rest of the pack.

Personally I wouldn’t remove both overloads, performance wise I just don’t see the benefit. The shorter over load gives the pack a progressive type feel slowing the upward momentum before striking the bumps. If you do decide to remove both I’d recommend you adding some tall progressive style bumps to both limit the amount of reverse arch and to help soften the impact.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    rlx02 and Norton like this.
  14. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

How did you deal with the retainer clips and rivets when removing the bottom overload ?

15. Dec 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    typo sorry :eek:, I removed the top (longer) OL and said bottom. I corrected my response.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  16. Dec 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    the overload spring wont effect droop.... thats likely going to be your shock topping out before the spring is at full droop.

And if you can flex and hit the bumpstop... then your at max flex. That stated removing the longer overload is fine, but it sounds like you should of gone with something like the Allpro Standard pack if you want some flex.

17. May 10, 2015 at 5:47 AM
    magnetic11

magnetic11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    Fab fours front and rear bumpers, B.A.M.F. weld on rock sliders, softopper, removed mud flaps and D-Badged everything. Icon 2.5 Extended Travel coil-overs, Total Chaos upppers, 2.0 Icon extended travel shocks with the resi's and Dekar Leaf packs.
  18. May 10, 2015 at 5:48 AM
    magnetic11

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    Fab fours front and rear bumpers, B.A.M.F. weld on rock sliders, softopper, removed mud flaps and D-Badged everything. Icon 2.5 Extended Travel coil-overs, Total Chaos upppers, 2.0 Icon extended travel shocks with the resi's and Dekar Leaf packs.
    Are you not running shems with this set up?

19. May 10, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    fourpointTRD

fourpointTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Humboldt, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD OR 4WD
    Bilstein 5100s x4, OME 883 with 1/4 inch spacer on driver's side, OME TP04 leaf spring trim packer, Wheeler's Superbumps rear, black FJ Trail team wheels, Gorilla Wheel Locks (73631T), Huskyliners xact contour, Rockymounts Clutch SD and Driveshaft, Toyota OEM Bedmat, Plasti-dipped badges and front emblem
    Sub'd
    Was thinking about the wheelers 5 leaf HD to get less lift than the Dakars.

20. May 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    magnetic11

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    I installed the shims because they came with the kit, but are they really need if I deside to remove one of the overload springs?

Products Discussed in

To Top