1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clicking noise at speeds above 35mph

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rleip21, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Dec 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    rleip21

rleip21 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 2010 tacoma 4x4 trd off road manual v6. For a while now I have had this clicking noise that would sound exactly like a stone is in my tire. I usually here it with window down at about 35mph and above. Obviously no stone or screw in tire. Seems like it is coming from drivers side. If I put in neutral still makes noise so not engine. Anyone have a clue.
    Thanks
    Ryan

2. Dec 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    When was the last time you greased the u-joints?

3. Dec 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM
    rleip21

rleip21 [OP] Member

Member:
    Never greased the u joints. Do they have a grease fitting on them.

4. Dec 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    M R duckcall

M R duckcall Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Trd sport
    Procomp 3 in suspension lift 33 in tires and 17 in Moto metal rims
    I have the same issue in mine. Grease u joints at every PM I think it may be where the lower bumper is riveted to the aluminum crash bar

5. Dec 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    sparkystaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    On the offroads, you should be able to se a grease zerk sticking out of the u-joint cap on the rear shaft, on the front the zerks are in inside of the u-joint,"or center of the cross" just stick your finger in there and you'll feel it.

If your lucky greasing the joint might stop the clicking, if it doesn't then it's time to find which joint is bad and replace it.

With 4yrs of never being greased you might have to replace all 3 in the rear shaft.

6. Dec 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If Greasing it effects the sound it is a good troubleshooting step, but if it is clicking it is too late already. The only good way is to remove the drive shaft to verify the U-Joints are sound or not. If you have one worn out I would replace all the joints at the same time.

7. Dec 9, 2014 at 4:45 AM
    Pavlovsdog

Pavlovsdog Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 2WD
    Probably Ujoints, but with that being said I had a weird one that was similar. A slight rhythmic click from the drivers side wheel. I took the tire off, and somehow the retaining clip came off the brake pads. I put a new one in and the brake rattle went away...

8. Dec 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    rleip21

rleip21 [OP] Member

Member:
    I will go ahead and grease the u joints and see what happens. My truck is a trd off road. The only thing is it only has 10000 miles on it so seems kind of weird that u joint would be bad even if I did not grease them. I guess I will find out when I grease and take a ride to see if noise changes. Thanks for all your help. If that doesn't work I will look for the clip. On that are you talking about the squeeler clip when pads run low. Or something else.

9. Dec 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    There's a retainer clip on the brakes which will be obvious when you look at them.

10. Dec 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    rleip21

rleip21 [OP] Member

Member:
    Well greased the u joints all 5. Back 3 took a couple pumps of grease. So probably were a little dry. Front would not take any. Drove my truck. No change in noise. Checked retaining clip in brakes was fine. Forgot to check front bumper rivets. Found one mud flap clip broke. Does wobble not sure if that would cause the noise. Going to order some. Any other suggestions besides close my window? Thanks

11. Dec 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    This is what the stealership would say.

Anyway is the click only when turning? Or it does not matter?

12. Dec 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    rleip21

rleip21 [OP] Member

Member:
    It does it all the time when above 35 but is worse when turn to right. I saw videos of cv joint bad and was more of a lower pitch sound. So don't think it is that. I also saw front bumper aluminum brackets but tried shaking them no movement. So puzzled. Figure if I take it to the stealership they won't figure it out or they will just start replacing stuff and cost me a fortune.

13. Dec 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Silly, but i wonder if you have a cracked rim or something wrong with the lug bolts.
    If you or have you rotated the tires to see if it's still sounds?

14. Dec 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    sparkystaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd

15. Dec 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    rleip21

rleip21 [OP] Member

Member:
    I basically pumped them up till it was hard to pump. Did not have grease leaking out. I will try and rotate tires.

16. Dec 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Hopefully, when you rotate the noise will come from another wheel area well not hopefully. ......you know what i mean. Lol.

17. Dec 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    sparkystaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    You need to keep pumping, it will get hard to pump cause of the old dried grease in there, pump some more and you should hear a little pop and grease should come out of the u-joint caps, probaly just one cap at first. In a couple of days grease them again till you can get grease from all 4 caps at the same time.

Idea being to push the old grease out of the joint with new grease, if that doesn't work then it's too late, the joint is probaly bad which would cause your clicking noise.

18. Dec 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    X2

19. Dec 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    rleip21

rleip21 [OP] Member

Member:
    Okay so greased the u joints properly and no change in noise at all. I checked the old grease for metal but saw none. So I drove again and tested. I found that the clicking goes away when turning left. The clicking gets worse when turn to the right. I have tried to shake everything to see if it was just a piece of plastic and the only loose part is the mud flap which I ordered a new clip for. So any new suggestions. I could be wrong but I don't think it's ujoint if sound goes away when turning left. Thanks again for your help.

20. Dec 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Cracked rim or hub? Maybe some the lug bolts are broken? Idk just suggestions. Did you rotate and see if the noise moves.

Products Discussed in

To Top