1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough Shift / Slams into 4th Gear

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MountTacoma, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Dec 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    MountTacoma

MountTacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4WD Auto
    I have a 2011 TRD Sport 4wd Automatic with 105K. Lately I've noticed rough shift between 40-50 mph, usually after letting off gas, then easing back on the pedal to accelerate. Sometimes it feels like a shudder - like it's searching for the gear - and then it will slam into 4th. It will never do this when driving with shifter in 4th, only does it in D. Usually occurs on level roads, not under load or uphill. Happens without cruise control. I brought it to Toyota dealer, they reset the ECU? and said it has to re-learn its shift points.
    I left the dealership, went for a drive, and it still has the same problem. I brought it back. They are trying to figure it out. Could it be torque converter?
    Not sure if second issue is related, but every now and then I get a rough idle with foot on brake in gear at stop light - it will "cough" for a few seconds then clear up. Never occurs in neutral or park, or in motion.
    Any ideas???

2. Dec 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Could be the torque converter. When did you change the trans fluid?

3. Dec 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Full drain and refill of the trans cures like 90% of the problems people have with these trans.

4. Dec 9, 2014 at 5:03 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. Jan 14, 2015 at 7:35 AM
    MountTacoma

MountTacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4WD Auto
    Dealership #1 did a diagnostic while I drove, sent the engine data to Toyota Corp and they recommended a transmission flush 3 times. Still had rough shift and rough idle after that.

Dealership #2 did a diagnostic while I drove the vehicle. Tech noticed engine misfire before we left the parking lot, while foot on brake in gear. It was cylinder misfire on the diagnostic. I had a cracked spark plug that was installed 10K ago. Cylinder misfire was causing rough idle at a stop and rough shift from 5th to 4th. New spark plug installed -- problem solved. It was covered under warranty since it was a Toyota plug installed at dealership. No charge.

Dealership # 1 - refunded service charge since it had nothing to do with the actual problem.

6. Jan 14, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    It's rare that I have anything good to say about dealership service depts., but in this case you got lucky.

#1 - misdiagnosis - but service $$$ refunded
    #2 - found actual problem and fixed.

We should all be so lucky.

Glad your problem was resolved.

7. Jan 14, 2015 at 8:21 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM