1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel shake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MSgtUSMC, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Apr 28, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    MSgtUSMC

MSgtUSMC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oro Valley, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Off Road Long Bed
    Icon extended travel 2.0 coilovers, ICON 2.0 rear reservoir shocks, tubular uniball UCA's, 1.5" AAL, 285/70/17 KM3, 17x8.5 0 offset 4.75BS Method 308 ROOST Bronze wheels, 30" bumper mounted LED light bar, Redline hood struts, Peak Performance LED H11 bulbs, LEER 100XR shell, AVID off road sliders, RCI IFS, transmission and transfer case steel skid plates, Caliraised bed stiffener, faux TRD Pro grill, Bushwacker pocket fender flares. Kicker speaker upgrade, Weathertech floor mats, hiflo filter and TRD CAI inner fender to airbox gasket, trailer brake controller.
    :confused:Installed my 5100s this past weekend, I am getting a serious shake at the steering wheel, when I take my hands off the wheel you can see it shaking back and forth. Alignment done, either my tires need balanced or can you get drive shaft vibration all the way to the wheel. It seems to be the worst between 45 and 60 mph. Any suggestions or ideas to stop this.

2. Apr 28, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    I would make sure you torqued all of the wheels down the same, have all of the lugs tight, and check the balance on your wheels.

If you rotate them to the back and find the vibration in the rear then it is def. your tires, so you would need to get them balanced.

3. Apr 28, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    Krp2nite

Krp2nite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine was doing the same thing. Got the wheels balanced and all 4 were out of balance. Had them rotated too. Gone now.

It doesn't cost anything since I bought the tires at pepboys, so since they are mud tires anyway the guy said they could check the balance at each tire rotation.

4. Apr 28, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    I was running MT tires and had a death shake in my steering. I have the tire rebalance but it didn't fix the shake.

I went back to my stock wheels and when I pulled my driver wheel I found I had dried mud in all the vents of my brake rotor, I clean it and put my stocks back on and I don't have the death shake anymore.

I think it was either the dried mud in the rotor or that one of my MT tires is out of round.

5. Apr 28, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Most likely the dried mud.... Anything stuck in/on the wheels can cause an out-of-balance condition.

Did you ever put the MT's back on?

6. Apr 28, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    No not yet, they were killing my MPG's. I will put them back on in a few weeks.

Products Discussed in

To Top