1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$1500-$2000 for Frame replacement at Dealership?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Einstein, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dec 11, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES

X2

Link to parts list posting
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/263311-frame-rust-recall-2.html#post9200116

Post Contains an image file of the Toyota listing of parts to be replaced for frame replacement. Items in Red get changed. Included Brake lines, LCA and Rear leafs and a lot of misc parts. OP and others should compare this to what the dealer wants to charge for replacement parts for a frame swap .

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. Dec 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Wow. What a bunch of low life scum s***. That's insane, I've never witnessed what a true stealership is.

I would go in and not sign that paperwork, explaining how all the truck was in for was the frame recall, not an inspection. And show them how their "findings" of problems are BS

3. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I must be the only person on any car / bike site, ever, that doesn't hate on dealers.

I read the same email posted above that everyone else did. I'm not seeing a problem. The service manager was courteous, he presented a series of problems that had been noted and offered a fix for each one. Even if the OP doesn't want to have the dealer repair these things, he's at least more informed now and can make a better educated decision about future repairs then he could have before the dealer looked at it.

So it appears the truck got a decent free inspection and is either getting a free new frame, or free CRC application (unsure as the OP is unclear on this). I did not see anything written which suggested that the OP is somehow on the hook for $2000 worth of extra bits used in the frame swap, nor have I seen any evidence from anyone who has had a frame swap that there was any charge for extra bits / broken bolts / etc.

Bottom line - a dealer is in business to make money; not to volunteer their services, parts, employees, etc. Are they more expensive than doing it yourself? Absolutely. Is there a reason to go apeshit over their pricing? Umm... no, just don't have them do the work. Do it yourself, find a reputable independent, a different dealer, whatever.

I have never had a "financial" bad transaction with a dealer - because at the end of the day, I'm the guy that makes the decision to spend my money. If I had a "bad deal", that would be on me, not on them.

4. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Your not the only one. I've had great dealing with dealer service departments.

The dealer is performing what is called upselling. They all do it, just some SWers are more agressive than others. Its how they make money.

The things they listed as being required to be changed, should have been suggestions. Those are important things to be looked at, and it was good that they told you about them, but they can't hold your truck hostage.

Someone in that dealer has informed you incorrectly. All those things listed, are considered normal maintanance items. Tell them you will work through the list as you find time/money to do them.

I really have no preference of dealers, besides location. Just have a talk with that Service Writer and have him explain why the truck is unsafe to drive. If the frame is indeed cracked, then yes, its unsafe to drive. If you just have a bad radiator, then you at worse, will be stranded.

5. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    be a asshole.contact the dealers GM(general manager) call the toyota rep and customer care and check your local laws on them holding your car,im only familiar with California only.
    warn them that your going to yelp them,and contact your local BBB and contact a lawyer and pay about $100 bucks to have them send a nasty letter to your dealer.
    you have to be a dick. i worked at the dealer and saw what works.they dont want a bad name in the public eye.

and if they dont want to give your car (truck) back call the police and believe me you'll get it back that hour.

and fyi check over what you signed as you might have fucked your self already.

6. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    Bpassmore8

Bpassmore8 Brian13DCSB

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport
    Debadged, N-Fab step bars, LED cup holder lights, LED dome and map lights, TRD stickers, HID retrofit (Morimoto Mini H1 6.0, BHLM, HomerTaco ghost raptor grill, OME 885s with 90021 up front, 60091 in the rear with trim spacer
    Man, some of you guys are brutal on the dealerships. Yes, they tend to cost more. If you don't want to do something then just don't do it. A bulb is cheap. If it worth the extra $33 to have someone else do it then pay it. I am a service advisor at a Lexus dealership. I don't set prices but if the tech is doing something on the car he has to get paid and my percentage of the labor comes out of that, too so you have to be charged something. He can only cover what Toyota will let them so just don't bite his head off for being the middle man. Call Toyota as someone mentioned and be nice to the writer as long as he is nice to you. Go down and see a leak if you don't believe him which is a perfectly normal request. Just have to defend the poor service advisors who get lumped in to the "stealership" remarks

7. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    if your a service writer you know how crooked dealers are.dont BS here
    i was the sales manager and have been a mechanic sense i was a kid and you and i know thats the truth.
    service advisers are there to up the repairs to get more money,its sales in that dept too!!!!
    dealers will fuck there own thats how bad they are!!!

8. Dec 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    Bpassmore8

Bpassmore8 Brian13DCSB

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport
    Debadged, N-Fab step bars, LED cup holder lights, LED dome and map lights, TRD stickers, HID retrofit (Morimoto Mini H1 6.0, BHLM, HomerTaco ghost raptor grill, OME 885s with 90021 up front, 60091 in the rear with trim spacer
    I said we are more expensive so I'm not sure where I am lying. Some writers are dicks just like some people in any industry. I sell when it is needed, I send pictures of leaks and torn bushings and I tell people when an oil leak is a seep and will easily go till next time and recommend they wait. If they want to do it early, great. The guy at the mom and pop place makes more money by selling more services so he is no different than I am, I just work for a place that charges more. And it is *since. You don't need to come at me for something I didn't say. I was mainly asking the guy not to be a dick to the writer because it isn't his fault the frame is rusted, it needs a battery, bulb and the timing cover is leaking and the dealer/Toyota don't want to do repairs for no labor or free all together. He didn't seem like he was being a dick that was meant to be a general statement.

9. Dec 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I don't know how I got sucked into this thread and let it derail so bad?

Hey, Tardo: You nead to dial it back a notch. We are not saying you are wrong or right, you just can't paint all dealers as theives. They are a buisiness, and the first rule of being a buisiness it to remain a buisiness. To do this they have to OFFER services that may or may not be important to the customer. You don't like the offer, you go somewhere else.

I agree, sometimes the rule of making money will shade a dealer or an independant to try to get you to buy something you don't need. To avoid this, be educated about your vehicle.

It is what a buisiness is...to make money.

I don't think we have all the facts from the OP, I'm sure there has been a miscommunication between the SW and the OP.

He is doing what thousands or others should be doing, gathering info, so he can have an intelligent conversation. I'm not sure what you are offering is to be considered quality information, more like a strong opinion. Thats okey, we get riled up on topics we find important to us. I do to.

One last point, regarding the opening post. This truck will have a completely new frame. If he plans on keeping the truck, he will get those other things repaired as needed. The truck will then be a reliable vehicle for several hundred thousand miles.

10. Dec 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    TacoHunter805

TacoHunter805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If ever in a situation where a dealer tries to do hold a vehicle hostage simply call local law enforcement (you may want to threaten to do so first). They can not do that, it's illegal. They also cannot force you to sign anything before your vehicle is released.

11. Dec 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    I had a frame replacement done on my 03 Taco afew years back. It cost Toyota over $13k. It cost me $0. The truck was worth about $10k.:eek:

12. Dec 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    Interpret this as you will.

As I posted earlier, my truck was scheduled for the spray and while they were prepping, determined it needed the new frame. This was 45 days ago. I don't drive it much and just noticed the front skid plate is gone and I know I would have heard that fall off. I just called the dealer and they said they felt it was too rusty and would replace it with a new one.

The interesting this is that the skid plate is aluminum and was fine. I think they took it off, forgot to put it back on and now its gone. Im ok with that as I'm getting a new one.

Now I am ready for all the comments of "how in the hell did you not notice that for 45 days" and it is well deserved. I guess I just didn't look under there.

13. Dec 23, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Hi Guys,
    Here an Update in the Frame Saga. I finally went to pick up my car, signing just the note in the oil change work order stating that I was aware of the corrosion and didn't want to do the recall at the time(more I didn't want to pay the extra $1500) as Scottalot Suggested I asked for the Breakdown of the $ 1500, and guess What they wanted to change my steering and suspension; front and rear. U bolts? WTF were they thinking?
    See the list below.

Then I ran as quick as I could, last thing I heard was -"Well I'm going to leave the open the option for you to come back and do the recall".

So I took my Car to another dealer. Serra Toyota in Farminton Hills MI. And to my surprise, the service clerks(Jerks) are Kids(20's). What I don't understand is the attitude, it is like if they were trained to be Dickheads. There is a difference between what I want vs. what you want me to have. What I want Wins because is what I want...

So I explained this moron by phone all what happened at the other Dealer. I supposedly just had to take my car there and take the loaner (and they will go from there with the recall at no cost). When I finally went during my lunch hour, there is no rental ready, because was pending upon inspection; and inspection takes about two hours. So Im loosing money now because I have to stay there instead of working, plus he is asking me for the same info I gave by phone(I think he wasn't even typing back then)

I Bite the bullet for a while. Then after a couple hours another guy comes to tell me they will proceed with the coating because they didn't find hole. I asked them to check the Cars Log in their system and they found the report from the other dealer for which they went ahead and looked again. Then He asked me, Did you told Daniel This? There was no need to reinspect it then, we could have just gone from this

At this time I'm ready to punch somebody. he goes in and this time the Service Manager is the one looking the case and frame, finally found the whole, showed me where it was and hooked me up with the rental and send me on my way. he says any other repair will be optional, and I will be contacted.

I let him know I'm well versed in the case, for information gathered at Toyota Headquarters, the frame comes will all bolts needed and extra items for the replacement; so we will see.

By Now I'm driving a Kia Sportage 2014(what a piece of crap) with huuuge blindspots and Lisol+whorehouse smell(ass+cigarretebutt+beer). Is increadible How bad this cars are treated. lol

The Guy said It takes about 30 work hours to replace it and about 6 weeks from now.

[​IMG]

IMG_0351.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  14. Dec 23, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    assholes. glad you got your truck back.

15. Dec 23, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    i posted this in another thread, but i will add it here to share my experience:

my truck sat at toyota for 10 weeks. no parts ever came in. i tried many times to get the truck back from them but they told me "no way" because of liability issues. i finally went in yesterday and told them i was literally not going to leave until they gave me my truck. needless to say they gave me my truck back. has a small hole in the frame where they punched through by the cat. i don't mind. i'd rather drive the death trap until the parts get in than have it freeze and get crusty on their lot.

16. Dec 23, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    And I also have the Leaf Spring recall, but no parts for that yet they Said. That will be the next Ordeal.

17. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Status Update!
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for following up on the ordeal. Today March 16th after 120 days (better said, after expending this harsh and snowy winter driving a Prius); I have my truck back. And guess what? The 2nd dealership(Serra Toyota, Farmington Hills MI) gave those extra things that the 1st Stealer (Victory toyota Canton MI) wanted me to pay $1500-2000 as "breakables" not covered by Toyota plus rear-shocks under "Goodwill replacement". So I got frame, brake lines, leaf springs, Ubolts, rubber bumpers, lower control arms, rear shocks and a few items more.

Shop around guys, this world is full of Crooks...

Toyota took a big hit on this one, over 13K on parts and labor plus 2K for the 4 month rental, thankful I lost only 4 month usage of my truck. I will post later a copy of the bill for whom interested.

so the summary of the recall comes to "If you can spare a 4 month wait I Strongly recommend Serra Toyota in Farmington Hill MI" and "Fuck Victory Toyota in Canton MI"

18. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dang.

Glad she's back. :)

19. Mar 16, 2015 at 1:19 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Congrats !

As A favor to others that may run afoul of the bad stealership I suggest you contact Toyota Corp for an explanation as to why their dealerships are not controlled, monitored, or properly informed by Toyota. I'd love to hear their response.

20. Mar 16, 2015 at 2:16 PM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Here you have, this is the bill with all Materials:

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top