1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$1500-$2000 for Frame replacement at Dealership?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Einstein, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dec 10, 2014 at 6:19 AM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Hi All,
    I took my Tacoma for the frame recall and even though the recall letter says "Replacement at no cost", the dealer has given me an expected expense figure between $1500-$2000 in consumables and breakables that Toyota does not cover. Initially they told me that there was no holes in the frame but needed some repairs done(around $2025). Here the events chronology

I took the truck for an Oil change and to inspect the frame, before the frame inspection finished, they gave me a list of fixes neede in order to drive the truck to the coating place. When I saw the cost they were applying(see email below) I refused to any of them, I have a good mechanic nearby plus the knowledge that a DENSO radiator costs $80 at rockauto, bulb $0.53 and blades around $8 bucks.

Well, at first(by email) they told me that they will do the coating, then around 5pm they called me back saying that "unfortunately" -For me- they found a hole and need the frame replacement. So they wanted my "ok" in order to place the order for the frame that will take around 4 months to arrive and $1500-2K for breakables and consumables. (Almost the $2025 they wanted for the repairs, is that the target here? 2K if you go for coating or frame replacement)
    All this smells very fishy and I just want to know if any of you had gone trough with the replacement and what was your final expenditures.

The way I see it I don't want to pay that amount of money, I'm not at fault for a defective product Toyota made or the cost of replacing it.

[FONT=&quot]Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 09:08:02 -0500
    Subject: Status update on you Tacoma

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]E,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Our technician has finished his inspection and the oil change on your Tacoma. He is halfway through scraping the frame for the recall and will be finishing that today. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He does have a few recommendations for you at this time:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The radiator is leaking coolant badly and he found the coolant reservoir empty when it arrived yesterday. Until the radiator is replaced, he is saying the truck in unsafe to drive, which poses a problem for finishing the recall as it needs to be taken to a body shop off site to have the corrosion resistant compound applied. Total estimate to replace is $520.00[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The timing cover is leaking from the passenger side, and is recommended to be done at the same time as the radiator if you're going to have it done. Estimate with radiator $1700.00[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Front brake pads appear thin, tech is recommending full brake inspection to check condition of rotors and calipers $52.50[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Battery failed the health test, tech recommends replacement $178.00[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One license plate bulb is burned out $35.00[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Both wiper blades are worn/streaking $60.00[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please let me know if we can perform any of these repairs for you while the vehicle is with us. As noted, the radiator is the biggest concern at this time. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for choosing Victory Toyota![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Service Adviser
    Victory Toyota of Canton
    46352 Michigan Ave
    Canton, MI 48188
    734-495-3500[/FONT]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. Dec 10, 2014 at 6:23 AM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
  3. Dec 10, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Thanks Scottalot, the funny thing is, that the leak is not in the radiator. I spotted the leak a few months ago and located it at the water pump bearing, almost unnoticeable so didnt jumped to replace it right away. the coolant they found is prob what i have dropped when filling the radiator.

At first they told me that they will do the coating, they called me back saying that "unfortunately" -For me- they found a hole and need the replacement. So they wanted my "ok" in order to place the order for the frame that will take around 4 months to arrive and $1500-2K for breakables and consumables.

4. Dec 10, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    I would contact a Toyota rep and tell them what the dealer is trying to pull off.

5. Dec 10, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Thank you Guys, I will Contact Toyota Directly, I think the recall website has a link.
    Many odd things here, The truck has only 78K miles(garage kept during winter), and the frame had almost no visible rust in frame, the e coat was opaque black but was still there, so I wonder where the findings were located.

6. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    you should be paying ZERO dollars for the frame replacement. any other work they need to do, they need to get your consent and you can say NO. if i were you i'd get my truck and take it to a different dealer.

7. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    For that kind of money for a battery, you could just about pick up a DieHard Platinum AGM.

A license plate bulb is about $2 and takes 2 minutes to change. Heck, most of the mom and pop parts stores around here will swap a bulb for you for nothing hoping you'll think of them for service should you ever need it.

Even very expensive wiper blades should only be $40ish and take 30 seconds to change.

Never heard of a dealer charging to look at the condition of the pads and rotors. Rotors probably aren't "thin" at that kind of mileage and as noted pads are not expensive or difficult to change.

Coworker just had a new frame put on his '06. Didn't cost him a dime. He even got new leaf springs for nothing.

8. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    ha... screw them. it's still your property. get in, drive away.

9. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    ^^This.

Most of the stuff on the list they gave you initially isn't related to the frame replacement and you can pick away at those as you see fit, depending on severity.

10. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    I'd ask that dealer for a written or emailed estimate of the $2K to replace the perforated frame under recall, then forward it to Toyota corporate.

11. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    These dudes are the epitome of the term Stealersip. Agree with what everyone is saying. Most of that stuff you can do yourself.

12. Dec 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    Mizzouborn

Mizzouborn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma PreRunner
    Thorley Headers Dual Exhaust Flowmaster 40s Bilstein Shocks/Struts K&N Air Filter
    Like others have said....THIS..........the frame replacement is not associated with anything else so tell them TGFT

That estimate looks like the same one they gave me when I took mine in for the spiral cable recall but at least yours looks more professional than the one I got.

Do the other work yourself other than "resealing" the front of the motor and unless you're getting "pools" of oil in your driveway, don't do that one.

13. Dec 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    Ive read the opposite here on TW where member did pay for frame replacement.

14. Dec 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    $35 for license plate bulb replacement and $60 for wiper blade replacement should be a huge flashing sign of you're being dicked with. $95 for $20 worth of parts and 10 minutes of minimal effort.

15. Dec 10, 2014 at 11:38 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '19 4R ORP
    Fuck yo' overlanding
    Are they replacing your frame or inspecting it and srcaping / applying CRC?

The letter says nada about a replacement, even states that an offsite body shop will be spraying the CRC.

Letter looks like they found some problems unrelated and are giving you an estimate. It may be high - but it's a dealership.

:confused:

16. Dec 11, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    lyodbraun

lyodbraun Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 TRD Sport
    Nothing yet
    I had my frame replaced and it cost me nothing.they did not break anything while doing the work either, and if they did I wouldn't pay for it anyways, not my fault they break it.. I would be going to a different place don't even let them touch it get your truck and never look back at that place...

17. Dec 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I said no to the recall, now my vehicle will be held hostage unless I sign whatever they put on the table. This drama is good for a Soup Opera.

Erick,

I apologize for taking so long to respond, but your question required me to ask my service manager to get an answer.
    Unfortunately, if a frame fails inspection, Toyota will not pay to coat the frame with the compound, as the existing rust will continue to eat away at the frame beneath in any case.
    We have tried with other customers who have had failed inspections to appeal to Toyota to have the extra parts paid for with the frame replacement and have been unable to get them to cover the expense.
    My tech has finished the oil change on your vehicle and it is ready to be picked up. There will be, of course, paperwork needing to be signed for you to take the vehicle before we can let it leave. It is not recommended to drive the vehicle in it's current condition.

I will be here until 6pm tonight and service is open until 7pm for you to pick up.

Service Adviser
    Victory Toyota of Canton
    46352 Michigan Ave
    Canton, MI 48188
    734-495-3500

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  18. Dec 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    Einstein

Einstein [OP] Member

Member:
    Plymouth Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    I need to take my truck to Cleveland then....

19. Dec 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    My frame replacement is scheduled the first part of 2015. I have already purchased new shocks, struts and a new rear bumper for free installation. I even ordered these parts from the dealer. Their quote was pretty high and I told them what I could get them (specifically the struts) and they matched the price. Their bumper price was $60 less than the closest aftermarket I found. So far, this has been a great experience for me. The service manager has been more than accommodating.

I hope you find another dealer to do the work. I can take a lot but I cannot tolerate someone trying to take advantage of me and that sounds like what is happening.

20. Dec 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    the dealers should be accommodating. they are making a ton of money off each frame replacement on Toyota's dime.

Products Discussed in

To Top