1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sponsorships?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MTFirefighter, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dec 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    MTFirefighter

MTFirefighter [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colfax, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma V6 5spd
    ARB front Bumper with Rigid D2 dually.... hopefully many more to come
    Alright I got some ?s. I have a 2014 access cab tacoma v6 6spd. I love my truck but don't have the funds to customize it the way I would like. I want to go wheeling with the rest of y'all but don't have the equipment. (It's mainly stock) I am volunteer firefighter so my truck does get some run time off road and on but I'm trying to find some way to get more power and equipment for off road? (lift, tires, supercharger, those kind of things) I know some people that have gotten part sponsors for their cars but never a truck? I have seen like car sponsors.com just hesitant to try one of those...

1) has anyone every got sponsors for parts in their tacoma?
    2) how did you go about it (website,calling,etc)
    3) what do you think good idea or bad?

Thanks

image.jpg

2. Dec 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    That website is shananigans.

If you want sponsors you need to give them something to make it worth their while, nobody is just going to give you free stuff for your daily driver. What do you have to offer them? If nothing, then you'll get nothing. A sponsorship can vary from a 5% off coupon to a full blown overhaul and everywhere in between, so don't assume that a sponsored vehicle goes from 0-Hero overnight, you'll still be spending a lot of money if you want a lot of changes.

My best advice would be to save your money, you can afford a brand new truck, modifying it shouldn't be a bank breaker. If it is, work more/save more/spend less.

3. Dec 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Hey there Ryan, just wanted to give a shout. Nice to see other Montanans on here.

4. Dec 10, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    MTFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colfax, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma V6 5spd

And I understand that I would have to offer them something as well... It just an idea I've been throwing around lately... I now it takes time as well just I've come into a situation were my bank is broken.... Medical bills and an ex that took the rest... There is a linger story but not going into that shit... Like I said just an idea was wondering what people thought?

Good to see another member on here from Montana... I live in great falls and know of only one other member that lives in town.

5. Dec 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    Capt. Obvious

Capt. Obvious Fearless Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    6" body lift, LEDs errwhere, Jesus mural on the hood
    I've been sponsored in the past for previous cars, so let me shed some light on the topic for you.

Unless you are a celebrity or a friend of the owner of the company, NO ONE is going to just give you free parts, especially high-dollar parts like wheels, bumpers, performance parts, etc.

Even most of the bigger names in the car/truck aftermarket world aren't very large companies. They don't have big marketing budgets, or even particularly high margins on their products, so even if you do have a vehicle worth sponsoring, they can't afford to just give you stuff. If you do get a sponsorship, it will most likely just be a discount on any parts you buy from said company. The best discount you can expect will be parts at cost. And again, the margin on most parts isn't that high, so don't be surprised if that discount doesn't make much of a difference.

What about your vehicle is so special to deserve a sponsorship? Are you well-known in the automotive community? Do you have a history of magazine features for previous projects? Do you have previous wins at major automotive shows or events? Are you part of a race team that is competitive in your circuit, with major wins/championships won?

Is the vehicle platform you're building a popular/relevant platform? At this point, the 2nd gen Tacoma is 10 years old, and there is a new generation coming out soon. Most companies will stop development on this platform soon and turn their attention to the new generation.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  6. Dec 10, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    The guys I've known who had successful sponsorships handled them all like they're businessmen. All companies they were interested in being sponsored by got sit down, face to face meetings where the car owner(s) had a written proposal and specific outline of plans for the car that covered why it'd be beneficial for the company to provide sponsorship, then they were given sponsorships of varying degrees (usually discounts on parts, which is why I said it still costs money, bigger changes = bigger money).

You're basically entering into a business transaction with the companies you want parts from, it isn't a "I want this. Can I have it and I'll put a sticker on my car?" situation at all.

You can decide to pursue it, but there's a right way and a wrong way, car sponsorship websites are the wrong way, and so is the "I can't afford the parts I want so I want sponsors" way. Put together something realistic, with whatever assurance and game plan you have to make it worth the companies time to exchange parts/discounts for advertising on your vehicle (which is what sponsorship is about) and go forward, but it's not quick or easy. You have to sell them yourself, your vehicle, and your vision for the partnership (not literally). You are the one who has to do THEM a favor.

Good luck! Stay safe on the fire line.

7. Dec 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    MTFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colfax, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma V6 5spd
    Thank you for the insight! I think you guys are right in the fact that saving is the best way! Time for a better job I guess!

Thanks I will keep all this in mind in my decision!
    Always safe!

8. Dec 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

Products Discussed in