1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new here. need help please.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Al ready, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Dec 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    Al ready

Al ready [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    N.M.
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner sr5
    3" pro comp suspension lift, K&N intake
    Im trying to install a new head unit for my 2007. the aftermarket wiring harness does not connect to the factory wiring harness, and the local audio store says the is a amp inside the dash that the aftermarket wiring harness hooks up to. can anybody tell me where this amp is at? or can somebody give me a link to any previous conversations about this? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dec 11, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    You would have to be more specific about your stock unit. Is it standard? JBL? I just hooked up a Blaupunkt in my Taco and did not see any amp in the dash (non-JBL). A check of the internet shows there is an amp in JBL systems. Now if the amp is part of the head unit then you cant plug into it because you took it out. If the amp is a separate unit in the dash then trace the harness from the stock head unit back to the amp and plug your new harness where the original harness plugs in. If you do not find an amp on the opposite end of any of the wires that you unplugged from the stock head unit then you do not have an amp and the stereo shop is wrong.

I bought from Crutchfield and they sent a harness that was plug and play. If your stereo shop can not provide a plug and play harness or a diagram then I would return the head unit and move on to a more reputable store.

3. Dec 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    I have a non-JBL and there is no amp in dash. Sounds like you either have a JBL truck and a non-JBL harness or vice versa.

4. Dec 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM
    Al ready

Al ready [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    N.M.
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner sr5
    3" pro comp suspension lift, K&N intake
    thanks for the input. it is jbl and I traced it to two different amps or what appeared to be amps one under the dash right in the center and the other under the center console

5. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:04 AM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    i COMPLETELY gutted the entire audio system on my 2006 within a couple hours of buying it new. it had jbl. if you are NOT going to install new amps for upgraded hi's/mid's and subs , the best thing to do is run new speaker wires from the headunit to the speakers. DO NOT USE A PAC ADAPTER! it uses resistors to adapt the signal, you will lose MAJOR power and MAJOR sound quality! any high quality headunit has better sound and just as much power as the jbl oem crappy amps. if you are planning on using aftermarket amps for hi's/mid/s and subs, ignore the oem harness all together. run new power, ground, remote, RCA's, speaker wires, everything. it sounds like alot of work, but it really isnt, and it WILL save you ALOT of time in the end, sound 100x better and open you up for much more options and add-ons later.

just my 2 pennies worth :)

6. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:18 AM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    I'm so glad the audio bug never bit me. I'm not a fan of wiring and everytime I read a stereo thread, I get sweaty palms just thinking about all those wires.

7. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:35 AM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    wires are your friends :) they do all sorts of nice things for you :)

it is an addiction brother, once you start... you cant stop! LOL! but sounds great!

Products Discussed in

To Top