1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie looking to buy first Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by VA Hiker, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    VA Hiker

VA Hiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Good afternoon, everybody,

I am looking at buying my first Tacoma.

Because of funding constraints I am looking at either a new 4 cylinder/4wd/access cab Tacoma
    or
    a used (2005-2013) 6 cylinder/4wd/access or double cab truck.

My dilemma is that I usually buy used low (under 60k) miles vehicles.

After doing research on this site, however, I am concerned about 2nd gen 2005-2009 (or 2010?) frame rust.

Would you not consider 2005-2009 or 2010 vehicles or would you just try to be careful? I know what surface rust looks like, of course, I can hit the side of the frame near the catalytic converter with a hammer, but if there is some sort of paint or coating I won't be able to see the rust and I certainly won't be able to see inside the frame.

I'm torn because there seem to be some deals on 2007 Tacos in my area...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions...

VA Hiker

2. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome!

3. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    ArcherTaco

ArcherTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Greeley/Windsor, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toy-Tec Kit, Tool box fit to bed, Dipped badges, cab lights, running boards, Flowmaster exhaust
    As long as you take a look and make sure the rust bug hasn't bitten one of the trucks you're looking at I would not be too concerned about it. If i were you I would go test drive both the 4 and 6. The other question is what is your ultimate goal? do you want it to sit on 33's? then I would suggest looking at the 6. If you want a run around DD truck there is not a single problem with the 4 and it gets a little better mileage.

Either way Welcome! :cheers:

4. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

5. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    You just have to go look at each vehicle that interest you and take a good look at the under carriage. I just sold a 1st gen Tacoma that had no rust. That's because I took care off it and under coated it long ago. Your mission should be to find a truck that someone took care off.

6. Dec 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    sleestak

sleestak Active Member

Member:
    My 2006 has 160,000 miles on it and if you looked at it you'd swear the frame was from a truck that's only a couple years old. The biggest factor in the frame condition is care and location...despite what you might think they don't just self destruct if you look at them wrong. I spray my frame down about every 3 weeks in the summer and about every 2 weeks in the winter or shortly after major snow events prompt chemicals and salt to be used on roadways.

Would I like to have to worry about the frame less...sure. But it wouldn't stop me from buying one that's in good condition.

Just spend your time and find a truck that has been taken care of as the previous poster mentioned. You're unlikely to find an '07 for a reasonable price that has under 60K miles (might as well look newer at that point). I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on one that was in the 125K range at the right price though.

7. Dec 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    VA Hiker

VA Hiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Thanks, guys for the feedback and the warm welcome. So my take away from what you have said is that a close visual inspection of the frame should be sufficient, and that if the frame is ok, not to be afraid of somewhat higher miles.

One of the things that worries me about the rust thing is that I live in Northern Virginia and some of the interesting trucks I've come across on Auto Trader are North of me in Southern PA.

That's encouraging about the miles, I might be able to find a nice double cab for my dog.

On 4 versus 6 cylinder, one thing that has me thinking about the four banger, in addition to the mileage, is that there are a couple of 4wd four bangers listed for sale near me that have caps, very attractive....

Thanks for the reassurance - I really want to join the Taco club and I really want to be able to haul trees and mulch around for my volunteer activities...

VA Hiker

8. Dec 12, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    sleestak

sleestak Active Member

Member:
    Your location makes the likelihood of finding a rusting frame more likely. If the frame has been taken care of (cleaned) regularly, you will be able to tell in that region. The most telltale spot for frame rust through is on the frame next to the catalytic converter about 2/3s up the truck on the driver's side. If the frame has simply been painted to cover up rust, you should be able to tell by overspray or covering of things like brake lines and wiring.

If you have the ability, it might even be worth looking for trucks from places like CO, WY, OK, TX, NV, UT, etc. that are in drier regions and less prone to the rusting problems. A couple hundred bucks for a ticket and the gas money back might be worth the peace of mind to you.

9. Dec 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    tacofan13

tacofan13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand DCSB 4X4
    Welcome to the site.

Products Discussed in

To Top