1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new owner help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ccal, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Dec 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    ccal

ccal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carmen
    kirtland ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma trd
    2.25 leveling kit
    hey all im a new 2014 trd double cab owner, I just recently installed a leveling kit that was supposed to be 2.25 lift. before the lift I measured the front of the truck and it measured 34" from ground to under the fender in the front and 36" in the rear. after the lift it measured 37 in the front and 36 in the back, plus I installed the front differential drop kit that came with the lift, is this where the extra height came from? I figured if I ordered the 2.25 leveling kit it would put it a .25in higher in the front not 1inch. also after this leveling kit was installed I took it for a alignment and my front tires look like \ / thisafter the alignment is there something else I need to buy to make this leveling kit right? please help thank you

2. Dec 15, 2014 at 6:35 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I've never run a lift on the 2nd Gen Tacomas.
    But I do know that Toytec recommends the Camber be set to zero and toe .04 degrees. With their lifts.

As for the front being higher. I thinking it might settle after a while.
    But I'm not sure it will settle a full inch?
    I'd never consider a leveling kit my self. I actually use my truck with a good amount of weight in the bed. And I don't like my headlights pointing to the sky with a load in the bed.

Surely some one that knows more than me will be along soon with better help. Good luck.

3. Dec 15, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    hawkeye89

hawkeye89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '14 Spruce Tacoma DCSB
    Tailgate Antitheft, Locking storage bins, sliders, caltrend seat covers, seat warmers, bike racks, tonneau cover
    I read a few times that different drop kits are bad for 4x4 tacomas. Someone else can answer why

4. Dec 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    skootx

skootx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    The kit may "settle" over time and give you closer to 2.25. Depends if it's spacers which won't settle, or coils/shocks which will settle.

The diff drop will not add any height. They are not at all bad- some say they do no good. The only harm is a touch less ground clearance. I'm putting one on mine.

On the alignment, if your kit is indeed giving you close to 3" of lift, you need aftermarket upper control arms to be able to get the wheels aligned.

5. Dec 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    ccal

Member:
    First Name:
    carmen
    kirtland ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma trd
    2.25 leveling kit
    thanks skootx that's what I was wondering about is the upper control arms, yes the lift is supposed to be a 2.25 lift but for some reason it is at 3" so I guess I have to look into the control arms,,and I have to bring it back to the alignment shop , any idea what numbers I should be telling them to try to get to like 0 toe and 0 caster or camber?

6. Dec 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    Mcdees84

Mcdees84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB-TRD O/R
    Here is a great read on your alignment issues. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...earance-driving-report-light-racing-ucas.html

As to your lift, I think we need a little more info on the lift. Some shocks (like bilsteins) are adjustable. Others, like OME are not. I would hold off on buying new UCAs because they're expensive and it doesn't sound like you actually want that much lift. So, if you can bring the front down, you might be ok with the stock UCAs. If you keep it at 3" then you should get them. Also, you can just add a leaf to bring the back up higher and get the look you're after.

7. Dec 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM
    ccal

Member:
    First Name:
    carmen
    kirtland ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma trd
    2.25 leveling kit
    Mcdees I have a 2.25 spacer lift kit that came with the differential drop kit and sway bar relocation bracket from fat bobs garage .com, it's for a 2014 trd .

8. Dec 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    Mcdees84

Mcdees84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB-TRD O/R
    Well, if you did a 2.25 spacer and got 3" of lift, that doesn't really make sense since you're using the factory coilover. Are you sure you didn't accidentally get shipped a 3"? Also, have you called the company and asked them. They should be able to help you out. Also, as others said, the diff drop has nothing to do with height - it just "supposedly" helps relieve pressure on your axles caused by the increased angle from lifting the truck.

You should check into an add-a-leaf for the rear if you want to bring it up. Not too expensive and if you were able to install the front yourself, you can do that yourself.

Products Discussed in

To Top