1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing undercoating

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rubs742, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    rubs742

rubs742 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Quartz Hill
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota
    Recently had my truck undercoated in NY. Told them not to touch my toytec coil overs. Long story short they did and said i never told them. I just want to know how i can remove the undercoating from the coil overs without scratching them all up. Anybody know?

2. Dec 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    Don't know if this would work but Eastwood makes an undercoating remover that you brush/spray on. I'd imagine you'd have to mask everything and it would be pretty messy.

3. Dec 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    It would depend on what was used as undercoating, If fluid film was used, just a soap degreaser would work with a presure washer. Maybe call the shop and ask them what would take it off would be your best bet.

4. Dec 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Start with the least invasive product and work from there. I'd start with something like gasoline on a rag and see if that works. Keep in mind though, anything that removes the undercoating might also take the powder coat off the coils, leaving them unprotected.

5. Dec 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    4myTaco

4myTaco SmaSh it Up

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Plainfield, IL
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    OME 3" lift up Front, LR UCA's, All-Pro Expo leafs in back, 17" XD Addicts with 285/70/17s, OEM Roof Rack, Westin Light Bar, Relentless Tailgate plate, Weathertech's, Blue Sea Fuse Box, Iggy's Switch Holder, Pioneer avh-3300bt Radio, LED Interior/License Plate Lights
    It's extremely frustrating to hear about all of these dealerships spraying all of the suspension parts when doing undercoating. Anyone with knowledge of cars/trucks should know that that stuff doesn't need to be sprayed and is doing more harm than good. I worked at a Toyota dealer as a Porter/Detailer during the first gen recall when they were doing undercoatings. A rep came to the dealer and showed everything that should and shouldn't be sprayed, and the suspension parts were definitely in the should not category.

I don't see a good way to get the undercoating off without removing the shocks first. Even then, it is going to be difficult to get off. I don't know what the undercoating remover would do to the seals in the coil overs, it may ruin them and you would have a much bigger problem to deal with.

Products Discussed in

To Top