1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whistling in the doors? On days with high winds in 15 taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Loganlewis12, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Dec 21, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    Loganlewis12

Loganlewis12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    15 double cab trd off road 4x4
    Have a new 15 taco and have noticed in last few weeks that traveling on days with high winds there is a very annoying and loud whistling sound that sounds like it comes from around the doors..don't even have 5k on it and was wondering if anyone else had same problem?
    I travel long distances and in montana where high winds is common..am going to mention it when I go in for first oil change

2. Dec 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Try and locate(as tough as it may be) prior to your visit as to at least to give the technicians as much help. Chasing whistles, rattles, pings, hooker moans etc. are a nightmare.
    Maybe they can adjust the door latch of the culprit to shut a bit more tight if you can pinpoint area.
    GL

3. Dec 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I recently started having this issue on my 13. Really strong cross winds coming from the direction of the passenger side will make the top of my driver side door make a very annoying squeal.

If i put my fingers up between where the door meets the truck, I can feel the top of the door slightly move outward when it makes the noise. As the door moves away the seal is being compromised allowing the air to get in further and causing it to squeal.

4. Dec 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    I have the exact same thing! It sounds like a damn kazoo.

5. Dec 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    If you have an OEM roof rack, it will make wind noise when it is open.
    On checking your door seals, try sliding a slip of paper closed in the door.

6. Dec 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    That's exactly what it sounds like. I'm not really sure what the fix would be. I haven't taken it to a dealer because they won't be able to reproduce the noise.

7. Dec 22, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    MPLS TACO

MPLS TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CHad
    MN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    3" Lift with UCA, Grillecraft grille, XD rims w/ 285/70r17 duratracs, leer xq cap,
    I have this and it was created once I put the topper on.

8. Dec 22, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    MIne does it also. Mine sounds like a straw through a drink cup lid almost. It sounds like it is coming from front gasket area or rear doors but I just cant pinpoint it. Happend at about 75 mph with a headwind.

9. Dec 22, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Mine has done it since day one. Dealer couldn't replicate.
    I thought it was the passenger door, but now I think it has to do with the windshield, up around the top passenger corner. If I put my fingertips up there during the howling, that's where I feel the most vibration.

10. Dec 22, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    there's a known "kazoo" noise from the windshield seal at fast highway speeds especially with crosswinds.

Try pushing (hard) on the windshield glass up near the rear view mirror when you hear the noise and see if it changes/goes away.

If that works - you can confirm by putting blue painters tape to completely cover the top windshield seal and see if it goes away.

Present that info to the dealer.

When I did though - all they did was replace the winshield seal, and that didn't actually solve the problem.

Somewhere on TW there's a thread that describes applying some caulk in the gap for a permanent fix.

11. Dec 22, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    its the door seals.... i had my windshield resealed and it still does the same thing.

Going to try and get toyota to replace door seals to see if it helps that as well as the constant creaking from the seals.

12. Dec 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.

Thanks, I'll try that out

13. Dec 22, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    kg5ie

kg5ie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    '14 PreRunner
    UltraGauge
    Seems to be a "feature" of all Tacomas. My 14 did it on the way home from the stealership. Service manager says "that's normal".

14. Dec 22, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    IIRC, the fix is actually under the hood, in the hood seal at the front. I thought they were inserting a small flexible hose or something into that so it would not compress as much when the hood is closed.

I will see if I can dog the thread up.

James

15. Dec 22, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  16. Dec 22, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD

Everythings 'normal' at the dealership. Sounds like a simplistic solution, but I clean all the seals and dirt off the rubber and where it contacts with just a clean cloth and water once in a while and it helps. Mine makes more noise when its dirt city in there.

17. Dec 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    [/QUOTE]
    This is exactly what mine is doing.

18. Apr 7, 2015 at 2:04 AM
    jboswell972

jboswell972 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Garland
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TSS
    None yet
    First long road trip with new Tacoma found out I have an annoying door squeal. Driving west bound with a north wind so I have a crosswind. Noticed a intermittent door squeal at numerous speeds. I have video but will not let me post need to convert. Trip was 6 hrs so I needed to do something, I stopped for a break and cleaned door frame and seal and proceeded to drive with intermittent squeal I barely bumped window switch for driver side window just enough not to create wind noise and drove the remainder of trip with no squeal. I've noticed several other post on here with videos with same exact noise. Has Toyota came up with a TSB to fix issue.

Concerned first time Toyota buyer, coming from a Ford.

19. Apr 7, 2015 at 5:52 AM
    sawed off

sawed off Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner 2wd 2.7 SR5
    I have 2015 prerunner access cab and mine makes noise in cross winds also, but its not that bad. I was thinking it could be the mirrors, I had Honda crv with same problem and dealer said it was mirrors. Just something else to consider.

20. Apr 7, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    it seems like it might not be from the door seals but the little plastic piece on the bottom corners of the windshield. I pulled them off and used some clear RTV to seal them up so they cant vibrate, we will see if that solves it. But i could easily see the passenger side piece causing the noise which i always felt like it sounded right from that area.

Products Discussed in

To Top