1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma V6 rated as poor?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bra, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dec 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    they call a Tacoma with TRD suspension stiff!!!! they are so freaking high!!!! my company has 4x4 f150s, and they ride MUCH stiffer then my trd Tacoma on and ESPECIALLY off the road. the trd suspension has the right amount of "give" in my opinion.

2. Dec 25, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Every time this subject comes up, all the butt-hurt fan boys rage against Consumer Reports, for telling the truth. The Tacoma is old as dirt & was mediocre even when new.
    Why did I buy one? Toyota reliability and all the other choices in 2010 were even worse.
    Legitimate criticism by Consumer Reports, and other automotive magazines, of the Tacoma does not invalidate your decision to buy one.

3. Dec 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    I like mine :) but, it's a '09.

4. Dec 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok. I was resisting replying to this thread but can't any longer.

The media has gotten to the point where we apparently can't form out own opinions, or do our own research.

I personally test drive the tacoma and loved the way it rode and handled. Then I bought it. Is that so hard to do?

USA Today and Consumer Reports are not only irrelevant but they are wrong as far -- as I'm concerned. I don't need them to tell me how or what to think.. That's why I stopped reading all their crap. No only about the way a truck handles, but also about current events and everything else.

It's a lot more fun and a relief. I encourage all of you to do the same thing. Do your own research. Form your own opinions.

Merry Christmas!

5. Dec 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    Chuck Wagon

Chuck Wagon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road, Double Cab
    Don't know about Y'all, but highlighted here was the only reason I needed to purchase my '14, TRD-Off Road. Never once did lack of creature comforts, 400hp, soft-touch surfaces and living room couch accommodations even cross my mind.

6. Dec 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    MtnMan307

MtnMan307 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR, 2017 Prius 4 Touring Lyft Car
    Weathertech floor mats, Bilstein 5100s front/rear, TSB leaf springs, Pioneer head unit, Mini D2S headlight retrofit.
    I actually find my '05 a pretty comfortable pickup. I had a 2011 F150 before it and it seemed designed more for a bigger, wider person. The Taco has better ergonomics and fits me better as an average guy.

7. Dec 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road

Puleez, Maybe yours was mediocre and a POS but mine is friggin awesome. Consumer Reports criticism is no more legit than your asinine claim that the taco is mediocre.

8. Dec 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    LegitGreenTaco

LegitGreenTaco Photosynthesis.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular cab base A/C fixed now.
    Westin lights, Westin Light bar holder, New front bumper, Custom floor matts, Steering wheel cover, board in bed to keep groceries from rolling around, new radio, New flat bed cover.
    I trust consumer reports.... usually...... they are right about most things (the jeep) but they have a weird hatred for the tacoma. It is designed as a workhorse if some specs. If you want a certain car buy it. Listen to your heart as well as your brain. and the fiat 500L is on there and I test drove one. it sucked.

9. Dec 25, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I saw one in person. It sucked sitting in one, image test driving one.

10. Dec 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    It's a truck not a luxury sedan. I expect a truck to ride like a truck.

11. Dec 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Not a butt hurt fanboy, I just think Consumer reports has become a bit passe with their reviews. They've been rolling with this same review for years. With the internet these days, you can find reviews everywhere. Consumers has let me down with a few of their recommendations. I bought a top rated washing machine based on their pick and it took a shit a week later. I bought a toaster on their pick that smoked one side of the bread and barely touched the other. These days, we can look for reviews on numerous sites to get a better overall view of products. We dont have to rely on their "experts" anymore.
    They don't like the Tacoma, and haven't for years, but it's quite apparent that it doesn't affect sales. They want all trucks to ride like a luxury car. Unrealistic.

12. Dec 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    Martimus

Martimus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    'neath a cactus
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    I wouldn't sweat their review. I'm fairly certain that it was bought and paid for by someone. Ever notice that when a car receives an accolade in one of these rags, the rag coincidentally has several ads from that manufacturer in it?

13. Dec 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    I don't ever read CR. I had a brand new '96 Isuzu Trooper and they ripped it to shreds. It was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. But enough people believed the review that it helped kill off Isuzu. They went from fair reporting to sensationalism. I take any review of anything with a grain of salt.

14. Dec 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    Shelf Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:

I quit the magazine years ago, but still have the cheap 12 buck a year online scrip. I'm finding myself using it less and less though these days. I think they're dropping the ball too much with their reviews on a lot of products, and the constant pitches to donate $$$$ to them are getting real stale.

15. Dec 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I bet many people like you it's fanboys defending the truck, but that's not it.
    Here let me explain.
    CR wrote that main problem, pretty much the only they could find was bad handling due to stiff suspension, especially on TRD version of truck.
    Well F me, duh.
    It needs to be stiff so it does not bottom out when your wheel drops two feet down in the hole or from the rock or from the log.
    So their complain is absolutely stupid.
    They my as well complain about knife to sharp or water to wet.
    Therefore,Their criticism is in fact not legitimate at all.

16. Dec 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    My '95 Rodeo will be 20 yrs. old in July. Presently 276,000 miles. Terrible vehicle.

USATODAY picked the Dallas Cowboys to finish 4 and 12 this season. Great work USATODAY.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  17. Dec 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    Martimus

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    'neath a cactus
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    I'm quite familiar with Consumer Reports... and I stand by my statement. The fact that they don't get paid op front does not guarantee that they don't receive other forms of compensation.

Search Google and you'll find countless examples of people questioning whether or not CR shows bias in their reviews. Are they biased? Absolutely! After all CR is staffed by humans and all of us have biases of one sort or another.

18. Dec 25, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    Shelf Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Consumers also was in love with the Chevy Avalanche which to me was a sport ute with a removable plastic gate to pretend it was a pickup.

19. Dec 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    Martimus

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    'neath a cactus
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    Well I guess that gives us something in common... we've both offered up our opinions regarding CR. Merry Christmas! ;)

20. Dec 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    CR is honest, not on the take, but it is based in NYC and reflects the needs of the upper middle class liberal New Yorker, like my family:) My father's yearly holiday present to the entire family is subscription of CR to EACH and EVERY household.

I find it great for kitchen appliances and household gadgets and the like, but NOT for high end equipment, like SLR cameras (Nikons are too heavy, Canons are to complex but they loved the POS Olympus OM-1).

To CR, a pickup has to function like an open back station wagon since they ignore things like hauling, towing and off road. On the other hand, they used to recommend the Toyota pickups as the best used vehicles due to their reliability.

Howard

Products Discussed in

To Top