1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma V6 rated as poor?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bra, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dec 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    Well I hate it when you hate that people hate that you hate it when people insult the tacoma. :stirthepot: Try saying that three times. :D

2. Dec 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I hate

3. Dec 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Soooo......
    :eek:

4. Dec 29, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    FritzTKatt

FritzTKatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego area
    6" Fabtech, sub-humanoid operator
    I meant that the ranger is a very capable truck and I am familiar with it, it's a very popular platform, with decent support, and known strengths and weaknesses. I am not saying that one is that much better than the other. And I even clearly state that I see more tacos than rangers, but far more rangers than anything else. I'd say 50% tacomas, 40% rangers, and 10% other. That means a lot. If the others were anywhere close in their overall performance, the split would be far more even.

Noone can argue that going between different vehicles isn't often odd at first and take familiarization. So far I like the taco a lot. I also keep my expectations real. I don't expect it to do very much, except run strong, and be reliable. They have a reputation to uphold.

In the end, think for yourself and figure out what you NEED, then what you want. Get something that will do the job and make you happy. I couldn't find what I needed and really wanted, so I went with need and got a taco. Turns out, this matches very closely with what I wanted, and didn't even know it at first. The tacoma, to me, seems like a very solid platform, with a reputation for holding strong after many years and miles, and that's what I need and want. I don't mind wrenching, in fact I love it, but things becoming a problem are what I hate, this shouldn't do that. I know at some point things will break, they always will.

EDIT: the above pictured ranger is NASTY! I'd rock it.

5. Dec 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM
    FritzTKatt

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego area
    Thanks doording. I've been here for a few days now and it's a pretty good forum. Lots of good stuff, especially MAINTENANCE, mods, tutorials, lots of good BS threads too. And there's enough guys to make keep new posts coming often.

I don't see a lot of "help my truck is broken" threads. That means a lot as well. If there's this many people around here driving the same truck, and only a couple guys have stuff break now and again, it sounds like it's a good truck. The maintenance thing is very popular as well. It seems a lot of other forums don't really talk much about it, just expect you to know it. Well, yeah, I know the concepts of doing most everything on a truck, but this is my first taco. No way in hell I would know exactly how to change my spark plugs. The yota's seem big on maintenance, and that likely accounts for the lack of things actually breaking. Everyone also seems to do a writeup on how they fixed things when they do, or comment on another writeup with typically meaningful feedback. Having all these writeups makes it much easier. Repair manuals really don't tell you a damn thing.

My haynes just says "remove and replace spark plugs"... WTF? There was no "remove this stupid bracket or you can't get a ratchet in there without 3 u-joints and 5 extensions..."

Specifically to the more butthurt fellows about what CR said: ____ CR, we know they're full of it. Whether they're just idiots or on someone's payroll is another thing, but obviously they didn't really test the vehicle. Get over it, the taco will live on... (until they redesign the ranger with a SFA and V8 from the factory hehehe :trollface:)

6. Dec 30, 2014 at 3:56 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I am a long time consumer reports reader, like 40 years. Some cars they buy and test, others they get data on from their yearly surveys. They haven't tested a Tacoma lately so all their data is coming from users who subscribe and filled out the surveys.

And they take no ads...perhaps if you would read the magazine and understand their methodologies you might respect their conclusions.

Howard

7. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    FritzTKatt

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego area
    I've read CR a few times, and in my experience they do have generally good reviews, but I do feel it's not right to report on subjective reviews and not actually test the product. Regardless of a poor review, I would put money on it that the sales of the taco will not be adversely affected. Anyone that needed a small truck was already going to buy a taco. It is sad to see a product you know to be solid - a good buy - given a bad review but it does happen with everything. Leave it be.

8. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    Tommiet

Tommiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charlotte Area
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    "list of worst car values"

I believe the story is that the Taco is not a great value due to cost and/or high resale.

9. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    KCEpp

KCEpp Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 DC 4x4
    Exactly. They score it low based solely on things that most truck drivers won't use it for.

"Oh no! It's not comfortable to drive across the country!"

10. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD

11. Dec 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I was totally being sarcastic.

12. Dec 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    In the viewpoint of CR, someone reporting on the survey that "it didn't drive like my Volvo, and was terrible getting the kids to school and going to the supermarket" would be a valid response. Since driving the kids to school and going shopping are criteria they measure for.

On the other hand, someone saying that there is tons of aftermarket support for wheeling and it can take a 33" tire with minor mods would be ignored since it is not one of their review criteria.

Surveys can only measure what they are designed to measure...

Howard

13. Dec 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    the only thing poor about my V6 engine is the gas mileage.

upgrading to a full size V8 truck should help with that though.

14. Dec 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    CRs idea of a "Truck" is the Cadillac Escalade. :rolleyes: Cause I see SO many of those hittin the trails and back-country....

Products Discussed in

To Top