1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad that I want to Trade 2013 Baja for 2015 F150 2.7 Eco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr Ribby, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Am I losing my mind? I got to check out a new 2015 F150 2.7L eco boost yesterday at the dealer for fun, and to say the least its impressive. Is it a Tacoma, no! With a combined mpg of around 22, and some extremely decent 325 hp and 375 lbs torq. I have an uncle that works for Ford, which gives me the ability to get the A plan for those who are common with fords purchasing plans. I haven't done any real math, but a full size truck that comes out cheaper then what my Tacoma price tag has got me intrigued. Am I wrong for possibly wanting to trade in my Tacoma? Either way I would probably end up buying a used Tacoma down the road for a project because they are just too much dang fun!

2. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:35 AM
    SSG665

SSG665 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma
    I'm waiting on the 16 Tacoma but have considered an f150 myself.Long term dependability is my main worry.I would put money on the fact the ford will have way more problems than the Toyota a few years down the road.One thing that really turns me off from the 2.7 is the start and stop garbage.No way I want to be driving to work and the motor is shutting off and then starting back up during my commute.That alone can't be good on a motor...

3. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Get what you want, don't let a site of tacoma enthusiasts dictate your vehicle purchases.

4. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    SSG665

SSG665 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma
    Large is correct,get what you like.I really like the f150 myself after driving several,just had really good luck out of my Toyota's...

5. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    The OP will get to know the service manager very well. Do purchase the extended warranty, as it is an American vehicle.

6. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    Balockay

Balockay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Cleburne, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD ORP
    Just look at the build thread
    Your Tacoma is more American than that Ford.

7. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:57 AM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert Well-Known Member

Member:
    It has been my personal experience that ...

Ford makes a great attractive product. On the other hand, it falls apart at around 80k. Resale value ain't great.

Same with Chrysler, except falls apart at around 60k.

My tacoma is the first, ever in life, vehicle of any kind that I drove home without having a single thing to fix.

I have had my tacoma for one year. My dealer wants to buy it, give me the same payment, same brand new tacoma. Only other time I heard such an offer was with my previous car, a Honda accord. I'm going to drive this a second year and get my payment lower.

I buy this cause it's made in usa. I used to be strongly opposed to buying anyting other than ford gm or chrysler - I used to work in detroit. I finally got so so so tired of taking it up the arse. No more.

8. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:59 AM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Never ever would I make a decision dictated by TW :D! I will have to sit down and see if I would be able to sell my Tacoma back for close to what is owed on it or possible more, its a 2013 Baja with 27k miles. Love it to death, I just miss some of the perks of a full size truck, standard 6ft bed, towing capability's, and now it looks like the MPGs of the f150 are slightly better then the Tacomas. I too will have to wait to see what Toyota gives us on the 2016 Tacoma. I would love some extra MPGs! Its kind of a catch 22 though because I moved to the Tacoma from an 2004 f150 Lariat that was completely loaded at the time. Its the little things that kill the Tacoma from beating out the full size trucks, the sliding rear windows, the moon roof, the outside temp, the stuff you use everyday. That being said last winter I was one of the few trucks out in the snow when the state closed all our local roads. Long story short, I got stopped by a trooper in a 3500 and was told to go home, and not 10 mins later I was pulling him out from a snow drift. This little truck has heart, and would be really hard not to own one down the road just for fun. Unfortunately it will probably come down to payments, paying $600 a month for a truck is a killer and a half!!!! if I move over to an F150 I would be under $500 and might owe less then what I owe now for pay off.

9. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:00 AM
    The109

The109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    If I needed a larger truck or a truck that could tow more I'd have no issues trading in my Tacoma. I would not trade it in just to get a few more mpgs though.

10. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:01 AM
    OICU812

OICU812 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2014 FX4 F-150 I drive daily for work.
    Let me clear up some BS for you all...

Btw I have the V6 Ecoboost

Gas mileage is horrible. At BEST I get 16.5mpg, it's far past being broken in
    The skid plates are plastic and junk, they'll rip off first time you actually off-road it, changed all mine and paid 800 bones to do so.
    Stock suspension blows a monkeys ass, plan on changing it out if you want to off road or plan to get bucked around like an old sally.
    Paint is marginal, noticed lots of chipping.

At only 15k miles I'm starting to notice lots of slop on the front end.

I don't own a bolt in this truck, I drive it very respectful anyhow and these are observations I've made.

I've had 3 Tundras prior each with over 150k of hard oilfield miles with only minor mainetenece. I have lost faith in North america built trucks. When this POS is miled out I'll be getting a Tundra again.

Conclusion: Don't trade your Taco, you'll be disappointed unless it's strictly a city truck.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  11. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    I hear ya! I'll be interested to see if the local dealer I do maintenance with offers to buy my truck back... :rolleyes: sure would make things easier! Then I would have choice of 2016 Tacoma or 2015 f150

12. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Interesting, I have heard similar statements about that engine. I'm assuming its the 3.5 V6 eco? Some misinterpretation is represented with the turbos, Like MPGs with any turbo it depends on how you drive it. Ill be interested to see what the mpgs are with this 2016 tundra deal, possible Cummins engine on the way? I guess I will be waiting patiently :(

13. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    I wouldn't put much stock in the mpg quoted. I have talked to people with the larger v6 eco boost that are getting 15-16 real world mpg. Not vouching for their driving technique just relating what they have experienced.

14. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Ha! I learned that on all the past vehicles I have driven. Unfortunately that is part of the killer with the Tacoma, I cant hold back on the gas pedal! My family still owns the 2004 F150 I was previously driving and my father manages to squeeze 14mpgs out of her and then ill hop in and get 12/13. If gas stays this low though MPGs may play less of a problem.

What I would like to see Toyota do is increase the gas tank size!!! that pesky tank is a killer!

15. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did Top Gear drive the Tundra to the north pole? That was an awesome show! I like the Tundra as a full size option. But the tacoma is so convenient.

16. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    Doesn't the Ford use those high dollar, easily breakable, spark plugs that look like Hot Surface Ignitors used in furnaces? A mechanic friend of mine had to buy a special SnapOn tool to remove them when they break, I think he said the tool cost $100? And he said a spark plug change can get very pricey.

17. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    Taco Libre

Taco Libre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JohnnyHildo
    Saskatoon, SK
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black 4x4 Access-Cab TRD OffRoad
    Rear TSB, 5100s @ 0, Toytec 3" lift, Total Chaos UCAs
    it is definitely a bonus that toyota's are assembled in north america but i would say the biggest perk is the other point you mentioned. the other "domestic" vehicles turn into rattle traps considerably earlier than they should. my buddies that own fords seem to spend a lot of time they'd rather not at the stealership.
    that being said, esthetically i do think they make a nice looking truck.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  18. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    This was actually a huge problem with Fords Triton 5.4L It was a recall that was never really solved the right way. Unfortunately I was one of the many 5.4 owners that ran into the problem. Over time the plugs would get stuck and have to be drilled out. We where told that we could replace them before or just wait till they go out and deal with it from there. My father and I took the chance with just waiting it out in hopes that only 1 or 2 would break after a long period, and boy were we wrong. All but 1 broke and had to have them drilled out. Little after $1000 later... we were both a little irritated to say the least. That being said the truck ticks like a diesel due to a bad piston ring, but has 145k+ miles and still runs like a striped *** Deer to this day.

19. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    SuperJakeTheSnake

SuperJakeTheSnake What is this place?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Jacksonville NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    They use glow plugs on their diesels if that's what your talking about?

20. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I get 22 mpg in my EB, motor and tranny are a beast and can pull an 8k lb trailer at 80 mph. Also I paid for it as much as some of you guys paid for your bajas / TRD pros and it's fully loaded

Products Discussed in

To Top