1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LIFE IS HARDER WHEN YOU'RE DUMB!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 92dlxman, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman [OP] drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    well, heres a story! but first, a little back-story.

since i started driving, i dont think i had anybody tell me i drove slow. ever. as i have gotten older, i have slowed down a bit, learned about hurried lane changes (rear-ended the car i was trying to pass :eek:) when i was 18 or so; but in my old age of 25, i would consider myself a pretty moderate driver.

went to meet a couple of friends in the mountains on friday, by myself, and on the way down, noticed it was just me and a nice windy road. i hit it hard. like pissed off and 16 hard. not a car in sight just me and my headlights bookin it like a moron.

fast forward about 2 mins and here i am coming up on a hard left and i knew it was gunna be a screecher. stepped the rear end out a bit to help me around (im panicking now) and was abruptly heading toward the mountainside. granite with patches of dirt. i think of my son, my wife, and how im going to ruin my brother's wedding that im the best-man at tomorrow. what a piece of shit.

i cranked hard right to soften the blow, and the truck was officially on its own. i cant believe it actually responded because it over-steered to the right, and whether i pushed the clutch in, or what happened, the truck was basically going in a reverse sideways direction.

boom. i was basically stopped and blurry, but knew i was on 2 wheels if that, and waiting for the roof to cave. it felt like it took 20 mins for the wheels to come down and surprisingly, they did.

im expecting sirens, good semaritans, just people to be surrounding me by now, in the mountain night it must have been heard for miles. i look left, look right, and nothing. just me. no glass, no airbag, no signs of a crash. im ok, but i'll never make it home for the wedding. i turn the key and she starts right up.

im expecting the truck to grind into gear, but it goes in smooth, it pulls itself off the mountain and im driving without the slightest pull or wobble. amazing. i can hear what sounds like tire rub whenever i turn right. a car passes opposite me and i get a glimpse of my gas-cap floating in the wind.

you guys wouldn't imagine the self-loathing i was going through on the drive home. stupid. selfish. idiot. i knew better. should have known better. all this "your going to kill yourself one of these days" i heard over the years.

alas, its been a few days and im looking up now. i've had and ignored too many close calls, God had to go to slightly more drastic measures and i think i get the point. the road is not my playground, and i am so incredibly thankful that not another person, or their property was involved. just granite and dirt.

stay tuned for pix and the fix!

2. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    you're*

3. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    tundrataco

tundrataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastern townships, quebec
    front bilsteins 2.5" lift, rear aal 2.5" lift, flowmaster 40 series muffler, kenwood headunit, ultraguage, allpro bolton sliders
    glad ur ok dude

4. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Oh dude. Dude. [​IMG]

5. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    :popcorn:
    Glad you're OK

6. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    [​IMG]

lucky for me, this is it. only on the driver's side, and suspension and axle seem fine. tailight was ejected, bumper corner pushed in, and the bed-side is scrap.

[​IMG]

removing the bumper was easy. the two furthest back bolts on each frame-rail, and the two bolts covered by plastic caps that go through the bumper and attach to the receiver. the bedside was strait forward. remove fender flare and tie down rail, and its easy to see what holds it on. have your little fingers ready

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  7. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    Fiddy

Fiddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    stock
    nice story

8. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    [​IMG]

inner bedside and splash-gaurd. really shows of the creases, but im going to see how well i can hammer it out just in case

9. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    this is the main offender. the bumper i can make, the bedside i was already planning on buying, but this support i really want to save. this was before i put any pressure on it, but using the jack and massaging it with all i have in my hammer collection is getting it pretty close

[​IMG]

10. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 taco Barclona Red
    beather mod Bugsheild backup light mod egr vent
    wow.. god must be watching you.. now with that lesson.. better not do again.. majorty you need your brain check

11. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    OICU812

OICU812 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't really know about the whole God part but heh you're here to tell story. Most of us learn such lessons young some older but better to learn it and live then not and simply die. Trucks are made daily it'll all be alright indeed. :)

12. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    lucky is an understatement, i dont know how to feel about the fact that i got this chance, (i was probly doing about 60 when shtf, with the fishtailing scrubbing speed down to something a little more collision friendly.)

many people dont make it down that hill, they front end into the moutainside, roll, go of the edge, and die. you guys dont know how thankful i am.

13. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    TCRAWFORD

TCRAWFORD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Debadged, WeatherTechs, Wheelers Type A steelies, 265/75/16 BFG AT K/O
    Crazy story man glad you are ok. Damage seems to be nothing compared to what could have been.

14. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Sometimes it takes an incident like this to make us wake up and appreciate all that we have to lose! Sheet metal is easy to replace....fathers, brothers, husbands, family & friends are not! Glad you came out of it with just a bent truck! Good luck on the repairs (might consider adding a bit of heat to the various hammers).

15. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Dang dude

I can't say you're stupid though, you just had a lapse in judgement, it happens to all of us.

16. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    You're not dumb if you learn from this. Glad you're OK man, but just remember, as fun as speed can be, slow and steady often wins the race in the end. I had a close call a few years ago that slowed me down too, in my case no damage was involved. I did a 180 on black ice when I thought it was bare pavement at highway speeds narrowly missing a few other vehicles in the process. I give God the credit for my survival too.

Good luck with the repairs.

17. Dec 29, 2014 at 5:24 AM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    We've all done stupid stuff. I wrecked 13 years ago really bad. 140MPH, pot hole, spun out, rolled 7 times into a telephone pole. Walked away without a scratch.

Learned big time from that one. I think the fastest I have driven in the last 13 years is 80mph.

Luckily in both our cases we walked away without an injury.

How did you explain to your wife the damage to the truck? Did you tell her the whole story or omit some details?

18. Dec 29, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRD OR 2007 Lexus GX
    Glad you're ok dude.

A similar situation happened to me yesterday, but luckily with no loss of control. It was in the morning just after sunrise and I was headed to meet up with a local guy to buy a bed mat from. I had encountered a few extremely slow drivers on the local roads and that got me a bit impatient because I wanted to get back home on time to watch the football games.

I get on the freeway and haul ass towards my destination. This guy I'm meeting lives in an area I'm not familiar with so I'm glancing at my gps to see how much further I have to go. The off ramp winds up around a mountain and I'm still glancing at the gps now and then when I realize I'm entering a long sweeping left that calls for 20mph when I'm still going 50mph! My heart rate quadruples and I know I can't hit the brakes or I'll just plow into the guard rail and tumble over the side. I apply the slightest amount of throttle in hopes of it being just enough to pull me around the corner and not too much that I start spinning tires.

It felt like forever getting around that corner, but I made it without a screetch from the tires. Thank goodness it was dry out or I would have been screwed for sure. I need to stop thinking that this truck sticks to the pavement like the STI I traded in does.

19. Dec 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    MikeyBaja

MikeyBaja Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mikey
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '13 TX BAJA
    Well 25 years old is young, so don't beat yourself up about doing something stupid.
    But I can't imagine taking such a risk with a family at home. They're just as lucky as you are.
    All in all the important thing is everyones okay, and you know how selfish and stupid it is. no matter how far you see no cars on the road, it takes a second for one come around, especially after a sharp turn that you lost it on. Think of someone else's wife or son that you can put at risk just because going fast is the cool thing to do

20. Dec 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert Well-Known Member

Member:
    You are not dumb. Sounds like you are smart.

You will need help figuring out why you sometimes feel like it's fun to risk killing yourself, such as the day before your brother's wedding.

Then you will need help planning on how to deal with that.

Do you agree?

Best wishes.

Products Discussed in

To Top