1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In need of help with JBL stereo system

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Russell92, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    Russell92

Russell92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hemet
    Vehicle:
    O6 prerunner sr5
    I am replacing my JBL stereo with an after market one (head unit, speakers, subs, and amps) the toyota wiring harness without JBL system does not fit in the truck. The harness that is compatible with the JBL system has the power pack and is pretty pricy. and really no need for the extra power. what do I do to install a new head unit? Is the JBL harness the only way to plug in my stereo?

2. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    I'm a little confused by how this is worded. All you should have to do to replace the factory HU is purchase the correct wiring harness (this will come with the headunit if you purchase from crutchfield.com) You will then take the harness and connect it to the harness for your new headunit.

3. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    Russell92

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hemet
    Vehicle:
    O6 prerunner sr5
    http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/2005-up-toyota-tacoma-double-cab.html#Replacingyourfactoryradio

read this.

what im trying to do is not go this route i have new amps and everything else. im trying to figure out how i can avoid using the jbl harness. would i have to cut the factory plug off then wire the headunit? i dont want to use the factory jbl amp. im sure someone on here has dealt with this.

main thing is, is not to pay the extra money for the "special expensive harness"

4. Dec 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    Tdogg11

Tdogg11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 Dcsb Sport SR5
    Just purchase the headunit you want and it will come with the wiring harness typically. Then buy the Pac Tato for your truck. I got mine for $50 from Amazon brand new. Then you can use the new head unit with the factory speakers, amp, and sub. Without the factory amplifier, the speakers and sub wont work. The amp powers everything, thats what the Pac Tato helps control.

5. Jan 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Yeah, I got yah now. As posted above your best bet is to by the PAC harness I'm sure with a little shopping around it can be acquired for a decent price. If you want to try, you could look for a local audio shop to do the cutting and rewiring, but I would just dish out the money for the harness. If their is one thing I have learned through my past installs with car audio, is not to cut corners. Your going to want to keep your wiring as clean and easy to understand as you can just incase something happens and you need to swap out a head unit or add something to it. Best of Luck! Make sure you add some pictures when you get it swapped!

6. Jan 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM
    Russell92

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hemet
    Vehicle:
    O6 prerunner sr5
  7. Jan 4, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I have the JBL head unit and installed a Pioneer 4400. I used the Pac TATO JBL integration harness. When I first installed it, I had the dip switched on the side of the unit in the wrong position and it sounded like absolute garbage. The base was stupid loud and muffled. After figuring out how the dip switched were supposed to be arranged it sounded awesome using the factory amp. I did end up going back to stock because I wasn't a fan of how my phone paired with the Pioneer unit, or lack there of as it would randomly drop it.

Products Discussed in

To Top