1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another rattle/vibration thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by F250, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Jan 1, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    F250

F250 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Ok so I've read all the threads, I'm just not 100 percent sure this is what I'm dealing with. This morning my truck started a random loud rattle on acceleration and driving. It sounds sharp and metallic, with some rotational sounds, and stops as soon as I stop driving. It almost sounds like a heat shield rattle, but coming from underneath the truck almost like it's coming from the transmission or something.

After a few minutes of driving it developed a shudder/vibration on accelerating from a stop, and also when stopping.

I looked at the carrier bearing, I've got probably .5 inch plus play in every direction. Could this be the cause? More importantly, am I damaging the truck if drive it for a few days until I can get it fixed?

Stock suspension, wheels and tires. No accidents or damage or mods since I've owned it. Just finished a 2000 mile road trip over Xmas with no sounds or issues. Almost exactly 90k miles.

2. Jan 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    F250

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    I checked them pretty thoroughly. I also found the shifter cable (i think) bracket right by the rear transfer case had come loose and the cable was rubbing against a heat shield bracket. That was definitely a source of some of the sound. But the sound hasnt changed since i fixed the rubbing cable.
    My biggest issue is a heat shield rattle doesnt explain the vibration on accelaration and decceleration. That vibration is something that wasnt there AT ALL a few hours ago.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Jan 1, 2015 at 3:16 PM
    F250

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    Update: drove it around a little more, I don't think it's the drive shaft. I think it's actually the rear brakes that started grinding. It explains the sound and the slight vibration. I'm going to pull the rear wheels and get into the brakes tomorrow and see what I can find.

Products Discussed in

To Top