1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Replacement: Dealing with Corporate - seeking advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BassMaster06, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Jan 14, 2015 at 10:04 AM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Thanks man! I pretty much have done all of that. Im waiting on a call back from corporate who is supposed to be dealing with southeast toyota to see what they can do. Last time i spoke with my case manager she told me that since i dont have any holes yet they probably wont be able to do the frame replacement, despite knowing that my dealership has flat out stated that i need a new frame. I was told that there are no holes yet, but there is significant rust between the body and the frame, and spots on the frame that are very thin where holes will soon form.

I think im going to call my dealership and ask them what all their frame inspection entailed. I recall reading that they're supposed to take a hammer and hit the frame to test for perforation. I dont know if that was actually done with mine. Can anyone give me more info on them using the hammer to inspect the frame? If they're required to do this, having some form of documentation describing that inspection process would be helpful to have when i speak with my case manager. Thanks, I'll continue to keep this updated.

2. Jan 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Apparently they did use a hammer to inspect it, or so im told. I think I'll do it myself as well. After speaking with the corporate case manager and the head service rep at the dealership, they said since there are no holes, they won't replace the frame. Lmk how things go at fred Anderson. Hendrick wont even do the anti-corrosion application because they "cant get the parts and dont have the certifications".

3. Jan 21, 2015 at 11:41 AM
    lionsm13

lionsm13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Black Hills SD
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5
    As I said I was given the same run-around and went as high as you can go in corporate and was D E N I E D.

Your options are as follows:
    1. Find someone who is willing to sandblast your frame and re-coat it.
    2. Trade it in.

I opted for number 1 as I plan on keeping the pickup.
    I am replacing the inner rear bumper and outer cover as well.
    Also redoing.replacing the taligate at the same time.

I will have spent $2 k in it all said done cut and dried extra in addition to the $22 K that I spent on it in the first place for an 07 DBLC 4 x 4 Sport/TRD V 6 w/73 K on it for mileage.
    I don't know if this was a smart move or not?
    What ya'll think?

4. Jan 21, 2015 at 2:36 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Just another update. Last week corporate got back to me and shut me down. No holes - no replacement. BUT the dealership never did a hammer test, confirmed by my service rep, even tho corporate assured me they did. The same day corporate called me to tell me no, my service rep, who has been nothing but help in all this, called me up to tell me toyota had just released something that allowed all states to be able to apply the anti-corrosion compound, and also allow the "non cold weather states" to be able to seek frame replacements on a case-by-case basis. He asked me to bring my truck back in so they could re-inspect. He put me in a 2015 black double cab and said hed need my truck for a few days. That was this past friday.

The latest: my service rep called me 15 minutes ago, they inspected the frame and submitted the claim with pictures and a recommendation to Totota on monday to get it replaced. Now the dealership and I are waiting to hear back from Toyota with their decision. They expect to hear back tomorrow. :popcorn:

5. Jan 21, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    See my above post. If this new ammendment to the service campaign holds any water, i might be in luck. My service rep strongly believes this is the ticket to getting me a new frame. I dont know if the hammer test resulted in holes in my frame, but i think its highly likely based on the condition of several spots on the frame. If this falls thru i might look into the options you listed. Thanks for the info. I'll update as soon as i hear back

6. Jan 22, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    Tachi2006

Tachi2006 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma, 1990 Landcruiser
    Got a question on this frame rust. I am about to buy a Tacoma 2006 4dr from a friend. I have been under the truck and from what I remember I saw no issues with rust. However reading this post it looks like rust is an issue. The truck spent its life in Florida and now is in Hawaii. Is this something I need to be concerned about? Due to salt air in Hawaii, corrosion can be an issue. Thanks

7. Jan 22, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    I know most of the rust on my truck is from all the salt they put on the roads during the wintertime in the northeast. I think that's the case for the majority of us that are experiencing rust issues. I cant speak for the effect of ocean/salt air and how it effects the frames on these trucks. There are several other threads on here that probably get a lot more attention than this one where someone might be able to chime in and give you some advice. I would take it to a reputable mechanic shop and have them put it up on a lift and look it over very thoroughly for you before you buy it. Good luck

8. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Update: my dealership called me this morning to tell me that Toyota approved the frame replacement on my truck! I'll be in a loaner for a while. For you guys that are goin thru this stuff, dont give up, be persistent and hold your ground.

Benzdriver81 likes this.
  9. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    ubnpast

ubnpast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Central Jersey
    What kind of eta for the new frame? I've been told 4 months by one dealer and approx 1 year from another.

10. Jan 27, 2015 at 12:23 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    They told me itd be at least a month, but im in SC so they probably dont have near the volume of trucks that a dealership up north would have, but then again they still have to get the parts in. I'm waiting to speak to my service rep at the dealership now, I'll report back what i find out

11. Jan 30, 2015 at 6:50 AM
    wattysreef

wattysreef Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Melbourne Beach
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    3" Toytec lift; 2" Toytec AAL
    If you are outside of the LSC like I am then please get involved. I am in the process of having counsel file a class action suit in Florida. The attorneys would love to have others from various states involved as well. PM me and I can pass along the contact info. This is is all done contingent and will not cost you a dime.

Products Discussed in

To Top