Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Condensation on passenger side

Old 01-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
braik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud of
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Condensation on passenger side

So I have a weird problem. I bought Weathertechs practically as soon as I bought the truck. They've always been in there and I couldn't do without them really. The problem is, they get condensation under them... but only on the passenger side. I know, I don't understand it either. At first I thought condensation is just what happens with these mats, and I'd have to deal with it. It didn't happen all the time, mostly after a rain and when it cools down outside. You know, when condensation usually happens. But it finally hits me that I can't remember a time when I found condensation under either of the driver's side mats, and I find that... odd. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't know if this makes a difference, but it usually stinks. Not like mold though... my wife says it smells like cat piss. Very pungent. And I trust her nose over mine.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Just passin' through..
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Somethin' ain't right.

Have you checked your cowl vent for soaking wet debris? Pulled your cabin air filter? I don't live in humidityville, but I've never had condensation issues under my mats.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
braik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud of
braik's Tacoma Gallery
I have. The smell is definitely coming from the mats, the wet I wipe off reeks of it (it's clear BTW). And I have an access cab and it even happens under the rear mats. But not the driver's side. It's not people doing it either. I don't have passengers for weeks at a time and it still does it.

It's happened since I've had the truck, I've changed the air filter twice since then. Haven't checked my cowl vent, I assume you meant that may be the source of the smell.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Just passin' through..
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you have a bunch of leaves and other debris in the vent holding water it could be both the cause of the smell and also (I think!) possibly a source of water entering the cab. But since noone else has replied with more info than I have, that's what I got. You could dry buying some Damp Rid and keeping it in the truck to absorb excess moisture and seeing if that helps.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by braik View Post
So I have a weird problem. I bought Weathertechs practically as soon as I bought the truck. They've always been in there and I couldn't do without them really. The problem is, they get condensation under them... but only on the passenger side. I know, I don't understand it either. At first I thought condensation is just what happens with these mats, and I'd have to deal with it. It didn't happen all the time, mostly after a rain and when it cools down outside. You know, when condensation usually happens. But it finally hits me that I can't remember a time when I found condensation under either of the driver's side mats, and I find that... odd. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't know if this makes a difference, but it usually stinks. Not like mold though... my wife says it smells like cat piss. Very pungent. And I trust her nose over mine.
I had this exact same issue and just posted about it in the Weathertech excessive gaps thread. I never figured out where the water came from. I assumed it came from snow or something off of my wifes boots. Once I figured out where the smell was coming from I took the mats out and sprayed the back of them down with cleaner and let them air dry, also coated them with febreeze a few times. Heads up, for me the smell was worse on the mat itself than it was on the carpet. The water sat under the mat for quite some time before it started to stink...which is why I was never able to pinpoint the source.

For the carpet I just use the wet/dry shop vac. It took several coats of febreeze and scrubbing/drying to get the smell out.

It hasn't happened since.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
braik's Tacoma Gallery
I'll check it out when I get off work. Thanks man.

I had a similar problem in my old impala, had a guy install a new window and he ripped the rubber under plastic cowling. "I'll fix it tomorrow man, I swear". Never saw that fucker again. But if I ever do...
Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I had this exact same issue and just posted about it in the Weathertech excessive gaps thread. I never figured out where the water came from. I assumed it came from snow or something off of my wifes boots. Once I figured out where the smell was coming from I took the mats out and sprayed the back of them down with cleaner and let them air dry, also coated them with febreeze a few times. Heads up, for me the smell was worse on the mat itself than it was on the carpet. The water sat under the mat for quite some time before it started to stink...which is why I was never able to pinpoint the source.

For the carpet I just use the wet/dry shop vac. It took several coats of febreeze and scrubbing/drying to get the smell out.

It hasn't happened since.
So you're thinking it was just water that never quite left? Maybe... although last time I had the sides of the carpet up (thorough cleaning) I didn't notice the padding was wet. And yeah, the smell is worse on the mat. Must be something about that plastic. I understand the water stinking, I just don't understand how the water is getting in there in the first place. It almost soaks the carpet, and no one is tracking it in. If it was condensation, then why isn't it under the driver's side mats too? Just confusing.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Just passin' through..

Maybe your heater core drain is dripping onto the floorboard?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
braik's Tacoma Gallery
So I checked again today (misting and cool outside) and it's wet again. I checked all up under the dash and there was no sign of dripping or water of any sort. It's like water just appears under my floor mats. What gives?