1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EZ Down (do not order it!)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Viper-2, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Oct 26, 2007 at 3:40 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 [OP] Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I ordered the new EZ down tailgate damper for Tacomas and got it yesterday. It cost $69.99 plus shipping. I was going to review it and ask for a group buy, I have been in touch with EZ down and Denise from there for a month or so. They just debut the new EZ down for the 05+ Tacoma (2 weeks ago) and I was going to be the gineau pig. I was excited to get this as I really wanted that feature. I am dissapointed to say the least.

1) The tailgate cable gets too crowded with the EZdown piston and tail screw so it binds and makes no room to shut the tail. I could NOT shut my tailgate with the EZ down on the truck more than 85% of the way...useless.

2) I was major dissapointed in the damping effect. In their video it shows the Fords tailgate lowering at a nice pace. not too slow and not too fast. This one comes down really quick, far too quick...it needs more damping. I was thinking how I may have returned it just for that if problem #1 didn't exist.

3) Install was okay but not nearly as easy as on the American trucks. The stupid bracked they make you use and remove the far tailgate bolt is strange. The tail bolt uses a star pattern and I hate those. They strip like mad. On the US trucks there was no need for this bracket.

The engineers really dropped the ball on this one. I assured I installed correctly (the directions are not that hard) a few times over. My wife and i were left thnking "what the hell were they thinking? Are they serious?" I am going to speak with them today to find out what's up and give them some feedback I am sure they didn't want.

Not worth $70...nor $10. Yet. I will let you know how it goes if interested.

Keith

2. Oct 26, 2007 at 3:55 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I am sorry that stunk so badly.

Thanks for letting us know about it. I am interested to see if their customer service is better than their engineering...

3. Oct 26, 2007 at 7:51 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    give em hell viper!

tato187carlos likes this.
  4. Oct 26, 2007 at 8:45 AM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I spoke with Cindy at EZ down a little while ago. She heads up the development department & sales for EZ down and Stabilus.

We went over some of the problems and she asked if I could do a writeup and take some pictures of the problems. I balked at first (after all I'm not their engineer) but she offered to let me just keep it and she will give me a full credit right there if i would help out.

I said cool. Fact is, she said it's a new product and it seems to be a cable binding problem. She said the damper problem would get better after about 15 to 20 revolutions of up/down on the tailgate so I tried that and it still is too soft.

She also said they (sales team) were going to Las Vegas this weekend and this product was to debut there! I laughed and said: Man, you better not have anyone try it on the spot or they'll be hell to pay. She said she was going to call them right away to have the Tacoma set stopped.

Now I wondered: I don't know how this works but shouldn't they have tried it on all the Tacoma types first? I mean, assuming it is a trim line thing? I doubt it is: after all I never heard of the tailgate being different on any model Tacoma...at least the PreRunners after 05.

I took pictures and informed them of the problem. I told her if we could get this problem fixed we could sell a lot via a group buy. She said she would love to work with me on that when we clear this issue up.

I'll let you know what happens...

llamasmurf likes this.
  5. Oct 26, 2007 at 9:17 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Viper - - I must have missed some part of the story - - Didn't they try it out on a Tacoma when they designed it?? That is really a problem with a lot of things - whoever designs and sells an item should be made to use it themselves for a year before selling it to the public! ! ! Good luck with your development of their product! !!

Don G :)

6. Oct 26, 2007 at 9:19 AM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Yeah you would think so huh. I am going to talk to her at length on Monday and ask her that very question.

7. Oct 26, 2007 at 5:10 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Was your tailgate stock or did you have any extra weight to it ala gatorsaver? Almost ordered one but thought I would wait for a review first.
    Thanks for that and please keep us informed if they fix it.

8. Oct 27, 2007 at 4:02 AM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    It's definitely a cable problem. There is no room for the stock cable to fit so it either pops out or jams up and the gate can't close.

It's an obvious flaw. I'll certainly keep you updated though.

9. Feb 26, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    TRDfly

TRDfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    I had the same problem!!!!!

Anyone know who else makes something like this THAT WORKS??

10. Feb 26, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    cool, yeah I would be interested in this after the bugs are fixed, do they also offer hood dampers?

11. Feb 26, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It cant be too difficult to make your self. you can buy a strut from Pep Boys for around $20.00, and them make it work on your truck.

12. Feb 26, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    I have it, love it, it works great.

Marc M

13. Feb 26, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    808trdsport

808trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner
    6000k HIDS, double tint in the back and tint front side windows, CGS cat back exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter
    when i spoke with Cindy she told me what to so about the cable.
    while holding the tailgate slightly open, pull the cable out towards the side of the truck. Do this a couple times and shut the tailgate. this worked for me. She also told me about the struts they used are the only size they could fit in there. So the rate of dampening is different than the videos. Cindy was real helpful, but basically said thats our product.

14. May 22, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    tato187carlos

tato187carlos Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Off-Road
    I just received my kit today, and got damn was I surprised what a piece of **** it is. The same problem everyone is talking about it true. The tailgate can't close properly. I finally got it to shut and when I opened it, from the pressure it popped out from the bottom part that holds the tailgate in. Ok, they made this terrible product , but why is it still in the market up for sale? I just emailed them today about it. Hopefully they refund me my money.

15. May 22, 2019 at 9:16 PM
    NYCTaco52

NYCTaco52 Half man, half goat

Member:
    First Name:
    Somehow known as Stewart, but named Ben
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    Well there goes my question, on to the next one

tato187carlos likes this.
  16. May 22, 2019 at 10:13 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    Maybe I’m spartan and old Skool as they come but I just let my tailgate drop. I don’t need some fancy pants shock system to lower my tailgate slowly.

llamasmurf likes this.
  17. May 22, 2019 at 11:11 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Way to much junk being made these days,old school is always going to be better.Let the tailgate down by hand,like people have been doing for a hundred years now.

18. May 23, 2019 at 4:49 AM
    Gregthespy

Gregthespy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic TRD Sport 4X4
    Subbed for the outcome, I too bought this piece of junk and wondered how they tested this and thought it was a good idea.

Closing the tailgate with it installed is like trying to stuff 10lbs of crap into a 5lb bag! And when you do get it closed it jams your tailgate to the passenger side and risks rubbing the paint together.

I hate it, but since I only paid $20 shipped for it, I chalked it up as a small loss. I put it back in the package and hung it on the garage wall.

I’m glad the OP is at least letting them know how poor of a product it is. I was mostly getting it so my young boy wouldn’t smack himself in the head with the tailgate when opening it, otherwise I’m fine with lowering it by hand.

19. May 23, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    Hmm... That's too bad this item does not work. My tailgate with a steel re-enforcement plate is heavy. Interestingly, I was looking at a 2016 GMC Canyon Tuesday night just to see what it was like. It had a damped tailgate (all steel) that came down nice and slow. It looked like it had some kind of torsion spring device at the hinges perhaps. I didn't see any gas struts on it. Maybe that is a better way?

Products Discussed in

To Top