1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this a good choice for a lift kit?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chasegarrison4, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Jan 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    tacoburrito

tacoburrito Well-Known Member

Member:
    boston
    Vehicle:
    2013 regular cab
    5100s. eibach coils. 285/75/16 km2s. leer cap
  2. Jan 14, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    Bjwilms7

Bjwilms7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Billet grill, 20% tint, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich tires, 3" smittybilt nerfs, weathertech guards, Toytec 3" lift (Bilstein 5100s front/rear, Eibach, AAL), LR UCA's
    Goes on Tuesday the 20th! Can't wait!

3. Jan 14, 2015 at 11:41 AM
    jhcole

jhcole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB 4x4 TRD-OR MGM
    ToyTec 3" w/ Bilstein 5100's
    I've been stealing enough threads, I chose to create my own to get some specific feedback on my lift install

4. Jan 18, 2015 at 6:19 AM
    jhcole

jhcole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB 4x4 TRD-OR MGM
    ToyTec 3" w/ Bilstein 5100's
    My lift is installed!

Not without major alignment issues of course...

I brought my truck to Express Oil Change/Tire Engineers for the post-lift alignment. After fooling with it for 2.5 hours they told me it could not be aligned to be within spec for caster.

I asked what the numbers were, to which they told me "really bad, RS 2.5deg, LS -0.5deg". Not only that, but they told me it was going to be $99.99 since it took so long (normally ~$60). They refused to print off the numbers ("we don't do print offs when they're out of spec") for me so I'm not sure what my truck is even at. Visibly looking at the truck from the front, the RS front wheel looks to have extremely positive camber, but they claim camber is in spec. When driving the truck pulls left violently, and if you take your hand off the wheel, the steering wheel "home" bias is about 9 o'clock. So in conclusion, I paid way too much for who knows what at this point, likely nothing.

Now before the UCA advocates say I told you so, I understand UCA's would have made achieving ideal caster (2.4deg) more likely, but 2.5deg cross caster range is unacceptable. They should have been able to achieve in spec camber, toe, and a caster of around 1.5deg both sides. My result is purely a result from technician lack of caring/knowledge. Not only this, but my new truck smelled like cigarettes upon return, and grease smudges all over steering wheel/door panel/kick plates/etc. I'll be calling AMEX to dispute this charge for sure.

So, my plan is to go ahead and order Light Racing UCA's from Fat Bob's, expedited shipping, and put them in the moment they arrive, and take it to Toyota for an alignment. In the meantime I'm worried to drive my truck at all until they get here, but would hate to pay the money to align three times in one week.

Anyway, here are a few (poor) pictures of the lift result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top