Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

FROM NJ TO CALIFORNIA AND BACK IN MY TACO

Old 01-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #1
Ilovetac05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lowell
Ilovetac05's Tacoma Gallery
FROM NJ TO CALIFORNIA AND BACK IN MY TACO

whats up guys and girls of taco world i am planning a trip across country in my 2005 tacoma it has 187k miles runs like a champ was wondering what you thought about taking it across country if anyone has done it and what should i do to prepare the truck and myself for this epic journey thanks in advance for any advice all is welcome i plan on leaving the end of April heading to Sacramento CA from Somers point nj oh yea and ill be towing a 6x12 single axle box trailer cheers taco world
Attached Thumbnails
FROM NJ TO CALIFORNIA AND BACK IN MY TACO-img_5158.jpg   FROM NJ TO CALIFORNIA AND BACK IN MY TACO-img_3770.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
One Tire Fire
Bandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: USAF firefighter gone legit
Name: Matt
Bandit's Tacoma Gallery
I'd do the normal stuff: check tires, lug nuts, ubolts, wheel bearings, brakes, battery, spare tire and spare tire cable. If you want some cheap peace of mind I would replace all your u-joints before you go. The sealed lifetime ones are like $8-$10 each. If you don't have one I'd pick up a Ultra Guage or Scanguage so you can monitor everything while you drive. Extra lighting would be a huge plus too. I've driven my Tacoma with a trailer to NY and back to VA in a day before. Took the basic tools with, a floor jack, extra wiring in case I have to rig something up on the trailer or truck, and I never road trip without a 5gal gas can. If you get stuck in traffic somewhere it could be a lifesaver for you or another stranded motorist. Don't forget to look over your trailer too. Borrowing a 2nd full size spare for the truck would be wise too.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
One Tire Fire
Bandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: USAF firefighter gone legit
Name: Matt
Bandit's Tacoma Gallery
I have a list of members on here who volunteered to help rescue or aid stranded TW members in case of trouble on trips like this (was called T.H.R.E.T. Tacoma Help, Rescue, and Extraction Team) which was dissolved. The list isn't huge but I can PM you my cell number in case you run into trouble. I'd set up a TW Live account and to send in pictures or post a distress message since posting online can be easier than a phone call in low signal areas.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Matt thank you so much man it means alot to me to have support i am nervous about the trip i have a couple months to plan but its going to be the first time im really really road tripping im excited and stoked to be a part of a community that is going to be able to come along with me through TW!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Dave thank you for the welcoming i have no idea where i posted this nor how to move it but i appreciate all the help!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
mikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant futuremikevee has a brilliant future
Name: Mike
mikevee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
Welcome to TW

You'll get more attn if you have a mod move this to the appropriate section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetac05 View Post
Dave thank you for the welcoming i have no idea where i posted this nor how to move it but i appreciate all the help!!!!
Dave hahahahaha
Old 01-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEWBIETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about it, toyota is dependable if you thought it wasnt you wouldn't have considered taking something with 180k+ across the country
Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Danny2002Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Danny
Danny2002Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'd consider taking mine with 280k cross country.. (sorry its a first gen but still)
Old 01-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
SilverComa is on a distinguished road

SilverComa's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it's as big of a deal as it might be in your mind, if you don't currently have any worrisome mechanical issues. But it wouldn't hurt to make a quick runaround your vehicle just to check. Just trying to give you some piece of mind before the long journey. A road close to home is no different than a road 2 or 3,000 miles away

About 6 months ago, before I had my Tacoma, I hauled a fully loaded 4x8 UHAUL trailer with my 2010 3.6 Cadillac CTS on my move from Savannah, GA to Austin, TX - I had absolutely no issues. Granted there was only 75k miles on the Cadi, so it's just food for thought.

I just had my oil changed, fluid levels checked, tire pressure set and was off.

Good luck to you and enjoy the journey, it sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #11

I should add to that, I did drive very conservatively, only about 60mph max so as not to kill my gas mileage. But even with a sedan, I didn't notice a huge difference in my braking ability. Just take it easy.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #12
They call me Greekbro
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
How well have you kept the truck maintained?
- Spark plugs
- Transmission fluid change
- Diff fluid
- Serpentine belt
- Radiator flush or coolant change

Any common sense basic maintenance
Old 01-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 View Post
How well have you kept the truck maintained?
- Spark plugs
- Transmission fluid change
- Diff fluid
- Serpentine belt
- Radiator flush or coolant change

Any common sense basic maintenance
I dig the red Toyota emblem on your grill. Looks good man.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #14
thank you guys i just got a set of spot lights from claycrusher! stoked to put them on i was thinking about a storm trooper top for the trip what do you guys think of those things
Old 01-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #15
karmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
karmatp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetac05 View Post
whats up guys and girls of taco world i am planning a trip across country in my 2005 tacoma it has 187k miles runs like a champ was wondering what you thought about taking it across country if anyone has done it and what should i do to prepare the truck and myself for this epic journey thanks in advance for any advice all is welcome i plan on leaving the end of April heading to Sacramento CA from Somers point nj oh yea and ill be towing a 6x12 single axle box trailer cheers taco world
Impressive you included all of this in one sentence.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #16
08TacoTrD is just really nice08TacoTrD is just really nice08TacoTrD is just really nice08TacoTrD is just really nice08TacoTrD is just really nice
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely adjust the trailer tires to the right PSI. Don't want to get a blowout at speed.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
ObiWan Tacomi is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: FDNY - Bedstuy / Williamsburg
Name: Joe
ObiWan Tacomi's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine. Just make sure you criss cross the safety chains before hooking them to your receiver area. State Troopers love when you forget to do that shit. Easy tickets.

I tow my 6x12 all the time without an issue. Do check the trailer tires often though- I had one blow out on me a little while back.