1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

prop(drive) shaft "bump"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by heliman79, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Jan 11, 2015 at 5:04 PM
    heliman79

heliman79 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    loxley al (baldwin county)
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 prerunner v6
    my truck has that notorious "bump" or thud after accelerating from a stop, ive heard it is something to do with the prop shaft, and there is a TSB to fix it, its never been that much of an issue to me..unless the ac is on. ive noticed if i go in to neutral when coming to a stop and shifting in to drive it doesnt do it. does the tsb fix eliminate this? its gotta be stored energy from the shaft coming to a stop then re engaging the rear end.

2. Jan 11, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    pull the slip yoke out of the ass end of the trans, put some good grease inside the female end of the slip yoke, should help.

3. Jan 12, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    heliman79

heliman79 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    loxley al (baldwin county)
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 prerunner v6
    i noticed upon examination the u joint and mount bolts to frame, shaft passes through looks fairly new, the steel is nice and shiny, leads me to believe it was serviced with the previous owner..odd that it still "bumps" is the problem lubrication( or lack therof) related then?

4. Jan 12, 2015 at 4:24 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    yes.

The prerunners have no slip joint on the rear half of the shaft. To account for the need for the driveshaft to extend and contract the shaft actually slips in and out of the rear of the transmission. This is where that bump comes from as it binds up untill there is enough pressure to make it slip at that joint. Put a bunch o grease on the bitch and it will solve your issue for a bit of time.

Very similar issues occur on most chevy full size trucks... i learned to live with it on mine as greasing the slip yoke every 10k was a pain.

Products Discussed in

To Top