Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Breaks upgrade?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:09 AM   #1
singlecab07 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
singlecab07's Tacoma Gallery
Breaks upgrade?

I'm in need of new brakes pads anyway i know, and maybe new rotors. because i just had a 4 wheel alignment at the toyota place. they wanted to check out the rotors because it still had a little shake in the wheel, so here's my question, just let the check it out and slap some new brake pads on and call it a day or is there something better i can spend a little extra cash on? i have a lot of plans for my truck so i'm getting all the little stuff fix and upgraded first. please forgive the lack of knowledge. hook me up! your advice is much appreciated,
Attached Thumbnails
Breaks upgrade?-my-truck.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 AM   #2
Maineiack will become famous soon enoughMaineiack will become famous soon enough

Maineiack's Tacoma Gallery
I believe EBC makes a decent pad and rotor package. From what I have heard about the single cabs is that the clutch is the weak point. Totally different subject but figured Id bring it up anyway.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
Ill check it out, on stuff like this I don't mind spending a little extra and getting the best, and why's that? Got mine in july of 2013 and so far haven't had any problems so far, but a little squeak while I'm pressing down.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:44 AM   #4
Yotaglenn is on a distinguished road
Yotaglenn's Tacoma Gallery
EBC makes great brakes and rotors but are expensive compared to regular brake pads. If you are really pushing the truck and or towing I would say go EBC. If you dont then they really aren't worth the money. Im running the EBC Yellow stuff with their cross drilled and slotted rotors and for me are worth every penny. They are super sticky and take a very long time to over heat. With the stock pads and rotor I had over heated the brakes 4 times in a 1000 miles. The major down fall with the EBCs is the amount of brake dust they make and the yellow stuff pads eat way at the rotor. So about every other pad change you will be changing the rotors also.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:00 AM   #5
Thanks man this is just the kinda info I wanted, so for me it would probably end up being a waste since most of my driving is back and forth to work. With a little fun here and there because it's my daily driver, any suggestions for something eles?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:23 AM   #7
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
I have Brembo rotors and Hawk pads sitting around gathering dust, but I've heard that combo is night and day vs stock brakes...I'm just waiting for my brakes to finally die on me...and not catastrophically, just squeal more lol
Old 01-12-2015, 03:51 AM   #9
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
No really, tell me how you feel about ceramics lol.

My stopping power is about the same as its been the whole time, starting to squeal a little here and there, so I know it's getting close to needing pads.

Back in my early days, before I knew anything about cars....I toasted some pads on my eclipse so bad I was digging trenches into the rotors and didn't have the cash to replace them so I just let it go and just figured I had a pebble or something stuck in there lol. Finally took it to a shop and he showed me the giant lip I had on the rotor and how it looked like a record lol
Old 01-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #10
Yotaglenn is on a distinguished road
Yotaglenn's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest semi metallic brake pads, stay away from full ceramic pads I have never had good luck with any full ceramic pads. As far as a brand I can't really help you there. One other thing, have your rotors turned when you do pads.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:35 AM   #11
Bajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Hawke LTS brake pads on my truck. I installed them at the same time I put my ARB and winch on so I'm not sure how much they actually helped. The stock pads still had plenty of wear left on them but I figured it couldn't hurt. They do produce more dust though.

My guess is that in order to show any real difference you'd need to do a complete job including upgraded pads and rotors and a set of braided SS brake lines.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
Thanks guys ill look into it. Iv never had a problem with the stock ones but hell if I gotta change then might as well upgrade them is what I was thinking.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
Pcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant futurePcyc has a brilliant future
Name: Fritz
Pcyc's Tacoma Gallery
Porter feild r4s - dusty but awesome!