1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

On second thought, Do I really need 4 X 4?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ERdept, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Oct 26, 2007 at 8:10 PM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was going to use the upcoming truck purchase for rare, but hard offroad use. About 4 times per year on campouts, since my knees are bad and I can't hike in, I figured I'd drive in.

But what do you think if I really was wishfull in my thinking and that my hardest use will be fire roads. Basically dirt roads that are cleared, but unpaved.

Do I really need 4 wheel drive, or can I get by on the 2 wd with factory rear lockers?

I rethought this in order to be realistic with myself AND to save money on the purchase.

2. Oct 26, 2007 at 8:13 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    id say you would probably be fine with a prerunner since the roads are cleared somewhat anyway. i've seen many 2 wheel drives go places that 4x4 trucks have gone, its about how you drive the terrain.

3. Oct 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    Yeah, I grew up on roads you are talking about and I think you will be fine.... unless there is crazy rain and mud, or snow.....

4. Oct 26, 2007 at 9:18 PM
    ERdept

Member:
    OK, I can save money this way. I guess that I was really optomistic about needing a 4 x 4 before.

5. Oct 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    when i bought my tacoma in May of this year i said i'd never buy a non-4x4 truck but i bought the 2wd prerunner with the trd off-road package that includes the rear locker, and i must admit that even with the stock wheels and tires, it surprises me everytime i climb through a 3 foot deep creek without the locker even on. i did ALMOST get stuck in my backyard tho lol, it rained a ton and it's mostly clay so its slick as hell, combine that with the stock tires and the fact that we do donuts in the yard so it was just pure deep clay. now that i think about it, my roommate in his 4x4 crewmax tundra almost got stuck too, i know his speedo said 70mph sitting in one spot just spinning. now either my 2wd with the locker is as good as his 4wd (which is not the case) or i'm just that much of a better driver than he is altho he'd never admit it haha......so point is 2wd with the locker is plenty, especially with better tires

6. Oct 29, 2007 at 8:53 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I'm gonna have to say go with the 4x4 as long as you can afford it. You can save alot of money by not getting it but if you ever need it, even just once you'll be glad you paid extra for it. It would suck to drive into the campground and then have a downpour and not be able to get out. I say go for the 4x4!

7. Oct 29, 2007 at 9:37 AM
    surfponto

surfponto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Leucadia (Sunny San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 2.7 ltr
    ATC Bobcat slide in camper 8 Dakar leaf springs in back
    It is nice to have low-range and a transfer case with the 4x4 especially if you go down some steep hills off road. It is nice to be able to keep your foot off the brakes and let the truck gear down the hill.

Otherwise on fireroads etc. I would think a Pre-Runner would work great. Better gas mileage too. :)

8. Nov 4, 2007 at 5:10 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    4x4 4 sure, don't cheat yourself because you THINK the conditions will be passable with a locker rearend. I can only imagine the pain in your knees after trying to dig the truck out of some sand or mud, buy the equiptment made to get you where you want to go.

9. Nov 4, 2007 at 8:00 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    hey jedi quit hating on the 2wd idiots such as myself haha, i do enjoy the 2wd off road racing more tho...i like the drifting aspect of it

10. Nov 4, 2007 at 8:38 PM
    ERdept

Member:
    Thanks for the encouraging words.

I guess logically it makes sense to get any item of higher capability than you need, in case you need to use it up to its limits, the capability will be there. Versus, not having the capability and then wanting it, when needed at the moment of truth.

11. Nov 4, 2007 at 8:40 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    i was just happy i got my taco, i wasnt too concerned with 4x4 because i dont go offroad much at all, but definately get the 4x4 if u know u will be going and using it

12. Nov 4, 2007 at 9:22 PM
    ERdept

Member:
    The cheapest way to 4X4 is a FJ or a Tacoma? Looks like the FJ to me.

13. Nov 4, 2007 at 9:33 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    i dont like the fj's too much, i'd rather have a taco but i'd drive an fj if somebody gave me one

14. Nov 4, 2007 at 9:50 PM
    ERdept

Member:
    Darn, I knew it in the back of my mind that I'd really have to spend more. Oh well, guess you only live once and this truck will last me for 53 years.

15. Nov 4, 2007 at 9:53 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    haha, that it will. we'll be on here with our beloved 2nd gen tacomas and ninety years old, our great grandkids will be on here with their 12th gen tacomas trash-talking our ground-driving vehicles incapable of flight

16. Nov 5, 2007 at 8:14 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Are the FJ's with 4x4 less than teh Tacomas? Either way i think the 4x4 is definately the way to go.

Turd: you can still drift witha 4x4, just dont turn it on and you can drift all you want :)

17. Nov 5, 2007 at 8:29 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd absolutely go with the 4x4 if there is even a chance you'll use it in the future...if you don't get it, you will end up kicking yourself when you need it...I'd have to agree that you always want something with more capability than you'll likely need.

18. Nov 5, 2007 at 9:02 AM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    the easiest drifting i've ever done was in my AWD wrx. all i had to do was start turning and hold the gas, i didn't even need to touch the steering wheel cuz it just kept spinning in circles haha

19. Nov 5, 2007 at 5:28 PM
    NVR_QUIT

NVR_QUIT My goodness, my Guinness!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd Christmas
    USA!!!!
    Vehicle:
    08' TRD Sport, 11' TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" lift...
    Here is some good advice I received when I was deciding...

First and foremost, if you do get the 4x4, can you afford the differance in payments? If the payments aren't an issue, then don't let money be a factor in this choice.

once you've answered the first question, then look at... It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I don't have any mountains here in Florida, but there is the beach with thick sand and ton's of mudding places that lead to excellent camping spots. I use my 4x4 at least once a month. If you don't use it, all you have to do is activate it for a few minutes for that month just to keep everything lubed.

There really is no BIG differance in gas mileage, and let's say you take a fire trail a day after it rained. You might need that 4x4...

But like I said, ask yourself that first question; first!

I got the 4x4 TRD Sport and I couldn't have been happier with my purchase. Now, should I choose to get into a hairy situation, I kow I'll be able to get out of it. I'll never second guess myself or the ability of my trucks performance. Still your call, but I say 4x4...:D

20. Nov 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    I agree, although I use my 4wd a pretty good amount on the trails around here (Central Cali), someone who doesn't 4x much could still benefit. Just don't be bummed out when you look at a trail you could have done if you had 4wd, or when your 4wd buddies keep going up the trail and your left behind. Think of it this way do you want to be the prerunner pulled out by the 4x4 or the 4x4 pulling out the prerunner. :)
    No offence to the prerunner and standard taco owners, all tacos rock! 4wd is just better IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top