1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For those who have gone from wrangler to tacoma and vice versa..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GEORGE STRAIT, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Jan 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT [OP] (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    I just wanted to get some input from fellow offroaders..

If you had a Wrangler and went to Tacoma, any regrets?

If you had a Tacoma and bought a Wrangler, any regrets?

I expect to have a child within the next couple years and would like to get something with a backseat when the time comes. I've always liked Jeeps, but I love Tacomas as well.

Obviously, Tacomas are above and beyond the Wrangler in terms of reliability, but resale value is a wash.

I don't really need to tow anything, but I won't ever buy a "boring vehicle".

2. Jan 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    Penten

Penten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Iowa
    Actually both have high resale values if you take care of them.
    Wranglers can tow as well.
    Neither are boring just depends on who YOU are.
    More backseat room in the Tacoma.
    However my Wrangler blew the motor at 130K My Taco is at 235K

Regret for wrangler is not having a removable top
    Regret for Tacoma is not buying one sooner

Thoughts based on 98 Wrangler and 97 Tacoma however.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. Jan 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    Capt. Obvious

Capt. Obvious Fearless Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    6" body lift, LEDs errwhere, Jesus mural on the hood
    I went back and forth between a 4-door Wrangler and the Tacoma when I bought mine, with the same things on my mind (children in near future).

I ended up with the Tacoma for the following reasons:
    1) Reliability (not a Chrysler product)
    2) Better, quieter interior with more creature comforts
    3) Cargo capacity
    4) Better fuel mileage
    5) Higher towing capacity

4. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I agree with all of these except #4. We had a 2009 wrangler unlimited Sahara with a 6 speed manual and oem 255/70/r18 tires and a 2013 tacoma trd sport access cab with the automatic and the jeep got significantly better gas mileage. I barely broke 20mpg with the Tacoma and the jeep was almost always 23.5. Both hand calculated, both on the same gas, both on the same type of driving.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Went from Tacoma to JKUR (2013)

No regrets.

6. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    Capt. Obvious

Capt. Obvious Fearless Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    6" body lift, LEDs errwhere, Jesus mural on the hood
  7. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    I went from a diesel Liberty to the Tacoma. The Jeep was the very definition of a piece of shit. The engineers who designed it should be horse whipped.

8. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    Why not get a 4runner? It's not boring, a Toyota and has more space than the Jeep...best of both worlds. ;)

9. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM
    DenverMojo

DenverMojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Evergreen, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 6-spd
    I went from a 98 TJ with a 6" lift and 35" tires to a 2013 Tacoma Double Cab. The reason I went from Wrangler to Tacoma was specifically because we now have a kid. The 2 door wrangler just wasn't going to be easy with a car seat. The wrangler was also a lot more offroad oriented, which I didn't feel as good about as a daily driver with a kid in there.

I should also mention that when I had the Jeep, I also had a suped up Audi A4 which was more of my daily driver. I sold both and replaced with the Tacoma. For me, the Tacoma is the perfect "in between" vehicle that I can use as a daily driver and still hit offroad trails on the weekend. The Audi was faster and more fun as a daily driver and the TJ was a ton more capable offroad. So, there were some compromises had on my side, but I have no regrets and am happy with where I landed.

10. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    Texas50

Texas50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Brazoria County-Texas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport.
    OME 885's,Light Racing UCA's,Bilstein 5100's all the way around, Deaver AAL. Cooper 265/70/17
    I looked at 4-door Jeeps and bought my Tacoma instead. I gor wat more for the money and spent way less... Jeep's are great but I couldnt bring myself to spend $4,000-$6,000 more for less comforts.

11. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM
    Bengt18T

Bengt18T Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chambersburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco DCSB TRD Sport
    I went from a 2010 JKU Sport to a 2012 JKUR to a 2013 Taco TRD Sport DCSB with a 2008 Tundra SR5 Crewmax in between.

The Rubicon was a great Jeep overall. The 3.6 was peppy (especially with the lower Rubi gears) and the transmission was much better than previous versions. The ride was pretty good but but had the typical "loose" feeling when hitting bumps IMO due to the solid axles and suspension design. Of course it was extremely capable offroad. I didn't like the seating position/wheel hump (i have a bad back and it aggravated it), or the fact that yes, it had a mysterious leak into the passenger floorboards with both the soft top and hard top on (every Jeep I've ever known leaked somewhere). The interior was much improved in quality/feel in 2012. Plus Jeeps are cool and there is TONS of aftermarket support for them.

The Taco's engine and auto tranny are what I would call good/adequate. Not quite as powerful as the Jeep but get the job done. Mileage is slightly better with the Taco but not much. The ride is better in the Taco and feels more "connected and smooth" IMO due to the IFS. It is good offroad, but no where near a Rubicon. The interior of my 2013 is about the same or slightly better than the Rubi. The seats and interior comfort IMO is better than the Rubi, but a weirder seating position. It can pull more than the Rubi and obviously has a better. Entry and exit are also easier due to a larger rear door and no tub wrap around at the sill. The aftermarket is large but not as big as the Jeep's. And Taco's are cool too.

Overall I liked them both a lot. The Taco suite me best right now for overall comfort, accessibility, and usefulness with a bed.

12. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    With a family in the near future I would be concerned with safety which narrows the vehicles down to a 4 door Tacoma or a 4Runner. Both capable, safe, and not boring lol

13. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:47 PM
    Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Go Pokes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    Clazzio leather seat covers, CBI T3 front, SOS sliders, SCS Ray10s, 285/75/16 Duratracs, debadged, extra bed D-ring tiedowns, Advantage TorzaTop, OEM bed mat, custom center console organizer, Husky liners, remote start.
    I owned a '95 Wrangler and honestly it was a piece of junk, but have been impressed with the difference in quality with the newer models. I would never buy one again because of my previous experiences with Chrysler products.

14. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    My buddy bought a Rubicon last August a couple of weeks after I bought the Tacoma. We went down to Moab to camp and wheel his CJ. We swapped vehicles and I drove the 200 miles home. Both vehicles are stock and I didn't have the Leer yet. Personally, I like the Tacoma better on the road and it's more comfortable. Offroad, it's close but I'd say the jeep has the edge. All things considered, I wouldn't give up my Tacoma for a Rubicon.

15. Jan 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM
    DenverMojo

DenverMojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Evergreen, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 6-spd
    I should add that when I bought my Tacoma, I was also looking at a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon. I obviously opted for the Tacoma and have been pretty happy. My only gripe with the Tacoma is that there is no option for front sway disconnects (and I don't want to remove the front sway bar, as some have done).

16. Jan 15, 2015 at 1:16 PM
    SIZZLE

SIZZLE Pro-party

Member:
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    A little a this, a little a that...
    I've had a TJ and two tacomas (1st & 2nd gen). The Jeep wheeled better and the removable top/doors were cool. Otherwise the tacomas were better in every way. Taco FTW

17. Jan 15, 2015 at 1:18 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Made me chuckle Haha :thumbsup:
    +1

18. Jan 15, 2015 at 1:21 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    The entire Jeep Liberty epidemic is something that should be wiped from the face of the earth. I didn't know a single friend or acquaintance that had a good experience with there's.

19. Jan 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    AL417

AL417 Active Member

Member:
    I have both. The Jeep (3rd one) is pure fun with the top and doors off in the summer and in the winter it handles snow with no problems. The Tacoma beats it in creature comfort and safety. Both vehicles have been extremely reliable. Since you're talking family and car seats, the Tacoma may be better for you. As stated earlier both have great resale value.

20. Jan 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM
    deepshax

deepshax Active Member

Member:
    Port Monmouth NJ
    Vehicle:
    14' OR AC
    I have a JK and a Tacoma. Very different vehicles and each have their pro's/con's. Even the bigger JK's have a very short wheel base, and going straight from the JK to the Tacoma it is very evident. The JK also has solid axles front and back (believe I have a 44 in the rear and a 35 up front). The two door is pretty small but has a bit more interior room than my AC Tacoma. The JK also has a bit more giddy-up. For my uses in the woods and on the beach fishing its pretty hard to beat the Tacoma due to the bed. Kayaks, deer, fish, dirty/wet/bloody clothes get tossed right in the back with no worries. Also makes a good home base up in Montauk. If Jeep was still making Comanche's that would have been my go to. Ive owned an XJ which I also loved. I replaced the XJ with the Tacoma, hard to beat that straight 6. I didnt like the 4 door JK, uses the same engine as the 2 door...with the longer wheelbase and extra weight it felt pretty sluggish. I also like the interior of my Tacoma better then the JK. JK is nice in the summer with the doors and sides off, i like running it with just the top part on.

Idk, kind of hard to call out engineers on the design of any Jeep, at least their frames aren't rusting out :/

Products Discussed in

To Top