1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another deer hit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by A3umph, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Jan 16, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    canuck guy

canuck guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    23TRDOR
    Glad you're ok. Not too much damage considering.
    I hit one on the barren prairie of Saskatchewan a few years ago. Almost totalled a 3 year old car. Severly damaged fender. headlight area, grill, hood, shattered windshield and roof.
    RCMP constable in Saskatoon said to me, "we just shootem here in hunting season".

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Jan 16, 2015 at 8:09 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I killed a deer with my Nissan while running deer whistles....

3. Jan 16, 2015 at 12:42 PM
    prerunner 06

prerunner 06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Springfield OH
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 DCSB
    Pre-deer whistles deer-2, me-zero.
    Post deer whistles 10 years running deer-zero, me- happy.
    Put em on correctly and they work.

4. Jan 16, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Knew that'd be in here when I read the title on homepage ;) :laughing:
    At least it wasn't a moose ... They don't give much ... Trust me, I speak from experience.

I like the Constable. :)

Good luck with the repairs Op.

5. Jan 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    LOL

6. Jan 17, 2015 at 5:43 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I hit one once. I saw it at 55MPH and thought "no fuckin' way", slammed the brakes and swerved into a dirt culvert. I narrowly missed the deer with the front of the truck and it submarined under the bedside and made it away (so says the driver behind me who was kind enough to pull over and make sure I was okay).

That was one of the times I really was glad I had the lift and no ABS. If I had my old sloppy suspension that deer would have been toasted under the back end of the truck and I wouldn't have gone into the ditch without harm to the truck or myself.

7. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM
    A3umph

A3umph [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    outside of KCMO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR
    Yeah this was on 291 just outside Liberty inside the KC city limits. The deer are way to thick in the city around here. I wish they would allow more of the bow hunts in the city beside the few they have at the parks now. Thin these out a little.

8. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    A3umph

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    outside of KCMO
    Vehicle:
    I sure wouldn't want to hit a moose or an elk. That kind of body mass compared to the deer around here would have really made for some damage.

9. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Hitting a moose can quite often be fatal for the driver because they are so tall the body mass comes through the windshield

10. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Too many people more accurately , but that's a different thread

11. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:22 PM
    A3umph

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    outside of KCMO
    Vehicle:
    A guy I work with hit a deer on this bike on the way to work. Hit it dead center and split it but it still dumped him. Same road I was on but about 8 miles farther down. Others had already stopped to help him and he ended up riding it the 5 more miles to work. Our company is really strict about being late and not calling 1hr before shift start so he came on and worked an hour before they would let him take off without penalty and go to the doctor. One reason I don't ride the bike to work much until mid summer when it's nice and light out in the AM.

12. Jan 18, 2015 at 3:44 AM
    Catamount

Catamount Member

Member:
    Southern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Raceline Renegade 6 rims,General AT2 265 75/16, Weathertech vent shades and floormats, Toyota neoprene seat covers.
    Don't kid yourself. I got cleaned off my bike at around noon by a doe that shot out of the woods and hit me broadside. It can happen at any time. When it's dark out, look for their light reflecting eyes that seem to glow. Unfortunately a moose's eyes do not reflect light.
    Your company's "late" policy sounds... ummm... unreasonable.

13. Jan 18, 2015 at 3:45 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Oh yea I'm familiar with the area. Lots of deer over there. You're right we did a lot of thinning in the parks on the Kansas side but they need to do it in about a 50 mile radius of KC. There are plenty of families, organizations, soup kitchens, that need the food.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  14. Jan 18, 2015 at 3:58 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Deer whisles do not work. If you have them, and haven't hit a deer, it is coincidence, nothing more.

Think about it, you're doing 55mph, the wind is moving through the whisles, the sound is behind you. They have tested these on MythBusters... waste of money.

15. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    A3umph

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    outside of KCMO
    Vehicle:
    I know it can happen anytime but you can spot them farther back when light out, you don't have to have the light hit the eyes.

Our company's late policy is unreasonable but it's in our contract and they allow no tolerance (can't show any favoritism by allowing an infraction to go unpunished). I know firsthand as I tripped down the stairs one morning. Knocked myself out and broke my ankle. When I came to and crawled back upstairs I call someone to take me to the ER. Went from there to the company medical office, explained what happened and turned in my paperwork for short term disability. I received 1/2 point for no call 1 point for more than 2 hours late. If it had been a day with overtime scheduled points would double. 8 points and your fired.

16. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:39 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    When I hit the moose it was @ 5:30AM in July, daylight in Alaska that time of year; she came out from behind an overpass and there wasn't enough space/time to avoid her. I left very long brake skid marks on the hwy, guy following me worked on base and I talked to him afterwards. He said I hit the brakes as soon as she showed at the roadside heading across, there just wasn't enough space for me to have avoided her. I was going 55MPH or slightly less when she showed. There are so many factors in the equation.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  17. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    I'm sure it's totally out of your control ... But DAYUM, that really sucks! :(

18. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Agreed. One of the worst company policy I've seen.

19. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    A3umph

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    outside of KCMO
    Vehicle:
    It does but it was over 6 years ago. Points roll off after a year. I'm never late or miss anyway but still it sucks. Last contract they took away being able to call in sick. Only if they have enough people to cover you. So basically you have to show up and then if nobody in on vacation or out FMLA then you can use a personal day and go home. So now we just have masses of people getting FMLA so they can't get points. But we do have a poster telling you if you get sick don't come to work and spread it around, screw that your making me come in everyone is catching what I have .... I'm staying.

Products Discussed in

To Top