1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

frame replacement increase or decrease value

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yosh1975, Jan 17, 2015.

?

Service Bulletin Frame replacement increase, decrease, or neither value

Poll closed Feb 16, 2015.
  1. increase

32 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. decrease

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. neither

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. Jan 19, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    Then, sure. I would think a new frame would make the truck more desirable and potentially worth more to a buyer. Ultimate " value", like trade in value, or insurance replacement value, wouldn't change.

2. Jan 19, 2015 at 11:45 AM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    I'm with Beavis. I wouldn't buy a reframe. To me, it's just like a vehicle that's been in a major collision. There are so many other vehicles to choose from. I also wouldn't buy any used vehicle from salt states. And if I lived in salt states, I would have a winter beater.

3. Jan 19, 2015 at 2:47 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    My thinking is this....

After March 2016 Toyota will take no credit for your rotted/rotting frame....

They are washing their hands of this issue and you are on your own...!!!!

Buying a used Taco with a NEW frame IS better than one that was not... (the NEW frame should last longer than the OEM)....????

Therefore "I" will pay more for the new frame used Taco than the OLD frame Taco..

If my thinking is right ...... the new framed Taco IS WORTH MORE....!!!!

4. Jan 19, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    wonderman2384

wonderman2384 Active Member

Member:
    philadelphia pa
    Vehicle:
    great truck looks good
    kn air filter
    has anyone from the Philadelphia pa area had there frame replaced yet ?If so how long did it take ?I am going into my 9th week and still no movement .

5. Jan 19, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    Pigeon

Pigeon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Eria, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab Long Bed
    Personally I remember when I was shopping for trucks Id see people advertising new frame as if they thought it somehow made the truck worth more. I would expect to pay less for a veh. that had to have a frame replaced, that just means its rusty.

If my truck had a rusty frame it would obviously make the truck more valuable to me if I got a new frame. But as far as resale value the fact that the truck was rusted bad enough to need a frame replaced is a definite turn off.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  6. Jan 20, 2015 at 4:45 AM
    wonderman2384

Member:
    philadelphia pa
    Vehicle:
    great truck looks good
    kn air filter
    yes I have been driving a 2015 highlander nice SUV. but 9 weeks and still no movement on my taco seems to be a long time .that's way I was wondering if Toyota has started to ship new frames to pa .

7. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:29 PM
    thepezident

thepezident Member

Member:
    Hey, I'm up in Lehigh Valley area.
    Just took my Taco in tonight. They told me 5 months for a new frame.
    And they sent me home in the truck. should they have done that?

Also, did you have to haggle to get an SUV? They were going to give me a Camry.

8. Jan 22, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    wonderman2384

Member:
    philadelphia pa
    Vehicle:
    great truck looks good
    kn air filter
    they also gave me a new Camry and I drove it for 1 week I went back to the dealer and told them that I had to have a 4x4 .. and they gave me a new highlander .I was at the dealer just yesterday 1/21/15. and still no movement still do not know when new frames will arrive.truck is still parked same place it was 9 weeks ago. Someone from the dealership called 2 hours after I arrived at my home asking me if I would like to have my taco appraised for Black book value on a new Toyota . do you know anyone in PA that has had there frame replaced yet? 2nd GEN,I am not sure if Toyota frames have arrived in our state yet. let me know.

Thank You.

9. Jan 22, 2015 at 6:37 AM
    wonderman2384

Member:
    philadelphia pa
    Vehicle:
    great truck looks good
    kn air filter
    If you did not get a loaner than they should have had you signed a waiver at least that is what they told me. because they had no more cars trucks SUV . to loan my dealership has over 100 Taco,s for new frames.

10. Jan 22, 2015 at 9:37 AM
    BTR

BTR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    After getting my frame replaced I would not buy a reframed truck.

If the frame was so rusty it was actually starting to separate then there are several other rusty parts that were not replaced during the frame swap.

1 of my shocks disintegrated during frame replacement due to rust, my intermediate shaft was rusted solid, the steering rack is rusty and will have to be replaced eventually, and lots more.

Just because the frame was replaced doesn't mean you are clear of issues it just brings MORE attention to what else may be going on.

check my thread and you tell me if simply replacing the frame in this case will make the other potential issues go away

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...2006-tacoma-how-bad-rust-scale-1-10-pics.html

11. Jan 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    yosh1975

yosh1975 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    northeast ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 std 4x4
    So what will you be doing with your Tacoma? Did shop replace any other parts, like the shock?

12. Jan 23, 2015 at 7:49 AM
    BTR

BTR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    yeah they replaced the shocks for 400$

I'm going to keep it till the wheels fall off, the prices on a new Tacoma are up there, doesn't help me much that they hold their value well too.

13. Jan 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    I live in winter states and my 09 frame looks as good now as it did new.

14. Jan 24, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    thepezident

thepezident Member

Member:
    This is a copy/paste from another thread I'm in.

According to PA state inspections, the truck would not pass inspection with a hole in the frame.
    So, when asked, the dealership said that when my inspection runs out, then they would put me in a rental.
    We asked, if it is not safe to pass inspection, then how is it safe to drive now?
    No answer from dealership on that....

For now, I am in a 2015 Camry SE with 650 miles on it.
    Mrs. PEZ told them we needed something larger. They "pulled strings" and are getting us a Highlander.
    What we really need is a truck with a hitch. That's why I bought a truck with a hitch.
    We were told they dont rent out vehicles with hitches for liability reasons.

So I asked, when I need to pull a trailer in the next few months, what do I do?
    They had no answer.

I think it's really wrong of Toyota and the dealerships to send people back out with these rusty frames knowing they wouldn't pass inspection.

15. Jan 24, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    thepezident

thepezident Member

Member:
    So, we have a boat.
    5 months from now puts me in Mid-June.
    I was planning to be in the water in April.

And because of it's condition, how can I trade it in?
    And even if Toyota was going to give me something for it on a trade....it would have to be on a Toyota product.
    So, I'm really backed into a corner.

16. Jan 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    My 03 Taco had the frame replaced. When I went to trade it in, the dealer's first question was if the frame was replaced. When I told him it was, it became a desirable trade. I was offered $7,500 for a 10 year old base reg cab that needed $2,500 worth of work to get it to pass inspection.
    When a frame is replaced, they also replace many other components such as the brake lines and the springs.

17. Jan 24, 2015 at 5:07 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Simple way to look at it: without the frame replacement, a truck that needs one is for all practical purposes worthless (except for parts). So having a frame replaced would be the only way to MAINTAIN resale value in that case.

More complicated because it depends on the person buying: if the customer knows Tacoma's they'll already have an expectation formed about the recall TSB. If it's NOT been performed, they may be worried to know why. An uncertain buyer might want a discount.

18. Jan 24, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    That's a loaded question even if the frame issue wasn't part of it. No two used trucks are 'identical' even if so equipped...since they've both seen different service with different wear and tear, different repair histories., accident histories, etc. So to make such a comparison you have to make a pure hypothetical assumption that even THAT is identical.

We have a situation of two identical trucks with rotted, unsafe, frames. One has been replaced, the other has not.

Which one is worthless?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  19. Jan 24, 2015 at 5:44 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    Good, more for the rest of the population :) Also the frame is not coated, the body is painted and clear-coated giving it protection. Unless you offroad and scratch the hell out of the body then it will be fine.

This is an unrealistic point. Your argument would mean you would never buy a new vehicle because it has the chance to loosen over time and therefore is unsafe. Even the "service manual" says to check drive-shaft and body mounts every so often for routine maintenance. Not that anyone does routinely.

shocks,(like brakes, rotors, tires) are a wearable item and not covered under any warranty other than the intended mileage for them. Blame the shock manufacturer if yours rusted as they are not really Toyota's.

I think if the frame cannot pass inspection that for legal reasons they should not let you off the lot without signing something making them not liable anymore.

Also, if the truck has a factory tow package ('05+ only had this) then how are they liable when the truck is rated to handle the towing? sounds fishy :(

20. Jan 24, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    But as others have stated, a frame replacement would not diminish the value if you knew about the situation. uninformed buyers will have no clue and will do no research.

a replacement frame puts the vehicle back to factory working condition therefore holding the correct book value. those that know Toyota and see a frame replacement will consider this a better option knowing critical parts have been taken care of.

Also the frame replacement is still covered up to 15 years after manufacture date. after that it's up in the air if you get a dealership that cares enough and/or Toyota

Products Discussed in

To Top