Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Parking brake seized?!?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
bpayne97 is on a distinguished road

bpayne97's Tacoma Gallery
Parking brake seized?!?

At the lake and launched the boat. Got back, loaded up and came back to the cabin, no problem. Moved my truck 50' and parked now it won't move? Anyone experience that?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
Calypso699 is on a distinguished road
Calypso699's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpayne97 View Post
At the lake and launched the boat. Got back, loaded up and came back to the cabin, no problem. Moved my truck 50' and parked now it won't move? Anyone experience that?
I've had this happen to me after washing my truck and parking it overnight. Once it was so bad it took about 30 minutes to disengage. I kept pressing the gas while in drive until it finally broke itself loose. Not sure if I did any permanent damage but I was pissed at the time. I've noticed a pattern though...in all cases my truck was parked overnight on a slope (driveway or hill).
Old 01-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso699 View Post
I've had this happen to me after washing my truck and parking it overnight. Once it was so bad it took about 30 minutes to disengage. I kept pressing the gas while in drive until it finally broke itself loose. Not sure if I did any permanent damage but I was pissed at the time. I've noticed a pattern though...in all cases my truck was parked overnight on a slope (driveway or hill).
Do you use your parking brake often? The reason I ask is I never did when I had an auto, now thar I have a 6 speed I use it every single time I get out.

I wonder if it has to do with rust or residue on the mechanical bits
Old 01-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
put it in reverse, then into drive. My truck does that when I put it away right after a bath.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Calypso699 is on a distinguished road
Calypso699's Tacoma Gallery
I'll remember the tip about putting it in reverse for the next time it happens.

@jackwithcorona - I got in the habit of using it way back when...not sure if I should or not with an auto but since I park on hills occasionally I like to have it on.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso699 View Post
@jackwithcorona - I got in the habit of using it way back when...not sure if I should or not with an auto but since I park on hills occasionally I like to have it on.
It's definitely a good habit to be in. I was look most people and lazy with the auto.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
toomanytoys84 is on a distinguished road
toomanytoys84's Tacoma Gallery
I had this happen in my ranger. 4 low and some throttle broke it free. I was in a bad mood that day. E brake never stuck again. It also never worked again.

I set my ebrake a couple times a week to keep it "adjusted", seems like a good habit to get in. I rarely park on a hill so I just set it and release it a couple times a week2AR-FE*
Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Snapped the e-brake line on my 1991 toyota, drove through a creek and then parked it overnight in freezing temps.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
jimbo808 is on a distinguished road

jimbo808's Tacoma Gallery
I had this happen a few times after pressure washing after mudding. Just gotta stomp on the brakes really hard.