1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A couple of questions from a new owner and a story.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kieran, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Jan 18, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    Kieran

Kieran [OP] Friendly Neighbourhood Canadian

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 TRD OffRoad
    None yet.
    Hello.
    Firstly I would like to introduce myself (already did so on the new member forum but want to expand on the story). A month ago I totalled my car. It was a dark, wet, foggy, unlit construction zone and I was far from home. Probably one of the worst experiences of my life. In a couple of short hours I discovered how shitty car accidents are and how great the southern hospitality is.
    I found myself needing a new car and quick. When I got back to Toronto I started looking for a Tacoma. I was after a 2009-2011 V6 AC. I found a silver 2010 for a great price and bought it. The night before I picked it up my plated and registered truck was stolen off the dealer lot. Needless to say I had to start looking from scratch. I ended up finding a 2009 Barcelona Red Manual TRD OffRoad. I am over the moon and sort of glad the other one got stolen.
    Now on to my question.
    From my understanding in 2009 they released Hill-Assist as standard. Now when I look in the manual it said "if equipped." Now when I try a less than tactful hill start I am sure it is not equipped. What models had this and what didn't. I figured a TRD would have it. Is there a way to equip this after the fact? I am not 100% adept at the park break start at the moment as the relocation from my other cars is throwing me off.
    There is a distinct lack of gauges and fuel consumption data. It's my understanding that most people went with the ScanGauge. Now what's the thought on Ultra Gauge for a OEM style install in the sunglasses pocket. I want any installs to look factory or fairly close so I was planning on getting a aluminum plate routed with a cutout and mount for it. But the downside of the Ultra is the buttons are on the back. In the process of surface mounting it I could relocate the buttons to the plate but don't want to void warranties if it's not a must.
    Other than those two questions right now I am stoked to have joined the Taco addiction.
    Thanks for your time.
    Kieran

d3e4f4d7459592293edf6cc418b881b9_107e2ee5e673cd1d48642d5b2a895b750b80211a.jpg
    1c8a370967a194ed584539d5741a00e9_7a2ce82c45b0ec420083faf130feff05cb7d666b.jpg

2. Jan 18, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    cyakker

cyakker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SD (at least we're not Mars)
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC, TRD-OR, V6
    Pretty sure the 2009+ hill assist modes were standard on TRD Off Road automatics only, so you've got the right year range & trim package but not trans. No input on other queries.

Crazy about a purchased/plated rig getting swiped before pickup. Musta been fate.

3. Jan 18, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    gazingwa

gazingwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Slower Lower Delaware
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner Doublecab 2.7
    OEM: Backup Camera, Bed Mat, Wiper Switch. Aftermarket: Fog Lights, Pop and Lock, Truxport, MS2's Debadged
    I don't know if it can be added or not, but you might just want to live with it this way for a while and see if you get used to not having it. My last car was a 6spd Subaru Forester, it had hill start assist. The hill start would get in the way of a smooth start on steeper hills, it would hold too much and release hard making for a jerky start. My car before that was a 6spd ecoboost Fusion, its hill start was even worse(especially slippery weather as it used the rear wheels to hold but the front wheels to drive) but it was much easier to disable I never used it on that car.

4. Jan 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    To have hill start assist, you need to have downhill assist which, as stated, is not available on manual transmission models

5. Jan 18, 2015 at 9:01 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    toronto eh... check this site out; www.sontt.com, all toyota's from your area! nice truck.

6. Jan 18, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Another thing to consider when choosing between Ultragauge and Scangauge is that the Ultragauge cannot be programmed using additional codes. I've managed to add rudimentary AFR, full transmission temperature, and some other neat readings to my Scangauge using codes that can be found on this website. The Ultragauge doesn't allow for that sort of programming.

Manual means not hill start control on this truck as others have mentioned.

I installed my Scangauge with the rear view mirror kit. It looks very good IMHO. Maybe not factory but very close.

7. Jan 18, 2015 at 11:23 AM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Hill assist is only for auto transmissions. Sorry.

8. Jan 18, 2015 at 11:52 AM
    Kieran

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    None yet.
    Thanks for the replies. I understand now that hill assist is auto only. I guess I assumed it only made sense that it would include the 6speed. I figured manual trans would benefit more from it. I guess I will practice the e-break start a bit. I used to be good at in my E28 and E30 BMWs but maybe I got a bit rusty..
    From my research it seems ScanGauge despite its archaic display it offered the best features. I will do an aluminum plate over the sunglasses holder or mount it by the rear view. I need to assess how I want to use it and what kind of ergonomics I need.
    Thanks for your help. .

9. Jan 18, 2015 at 4:42 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Also the Scan Gauge has the buttons on the front while the Ultra Gauge has buttons on the back. If you are mounting the unit where back access is limited you will be better off with the Scan Gauge. I got the Scan Gauge as I mounted mine in a pocket so would not have back access.

10. Jan 18, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    doingresearch

doingresearch Active Member

Member:
    Manuals have always had hill start assist. It's called the hand brake.

11. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:57 PM
    Kieran

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    None yet.
    I am finding the dash mounted park break a little cumbersome to work on hills. I am used to it when its mounted in a normal position but these truck ergonomics are getting the best of me.

12. Jan 18, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Hold it in the quarter turn "release" position but hold pressure on it. As you release the clutch, ease off on the E-brake pressure. You won't move an inch even on steep hills.

Freedom-0_e2771d5f6c32af9c30081ab288b7a058694719db.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top