Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Has Anyone Bought And Used The Poplock ???

Old 10-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
Has Anyone Bought And Used The Poplock ???

I have a shell,which provides some tailgate security, but was thinking about the Poplock. Good or bad? Install hard or easy? Thanks -Rich
Old 10-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
hey rich the pop and lock is a really good investment buy it makes you feel more comfortable and its pretty easy to install comes with directions im getting mine real soon!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #3

Where do I get a Star bit. That is for the tailgate pad?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
fitter565 is on a distinguished road

fitter565's Tacoma Gallery
Any place you can buy tools..
Old 10-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if u plan have/plan on getting a tonneau/shell and plan on keeping anything in there for any period of time, a pop lock is a very good thing to have. I had a low-profile tonneau on my s-10 that locked inside the bed and i got a pop lock for the tailgate and the entire bed was like ft. knox...lol
Old 10-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #6

By the way is there a N.Cal alliance? Also check out my question about polish, wax etc for my Black Sand Pearl truck. Thanks!-Rich
Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
TJOPILOT will become famous soon enough
TJOPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
Simple as hell. If I can do it anyone can!

Old 10-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Easy install and nice feature.

Hey TJ, you gonna remove that sticker on it?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post

Hey TJ, you gonna remove that sticker on it?
I was thinking the same thing!!

I've got a pop-n-lock...easy & cheap. It's not crime-proof but only a 'deterant'.

The only thing I wish it would have - is a metal handle with more sturdier/beefier components. But then again... if they want the tailgate and/or whatever is inside....let 'em have it. Just don't steal my truck!!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
TJOPILOT will become famous soon enough
TJOPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah guys, that was post mod. I took it off a day later. Had to match the tinted tail lights!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Had a Pop n lock... Took it off after 1 winter. It was unusable after just 1 winter in NY. The key hole was jammed with salt/sand/corrosion so I couldn't even get the key in to lock it. I'm just glad I didn't have it locked over the winter. It would be a real PITA to get it off.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #12
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Had a Pop n lock... Took it off after 1 winter. It was unusable after just 1 winter in NY. The key hole was jammed with salt/sand/corrosion so I couldn't even get the key in to lock it. I'm just glad I didn't have it locked over the winter. It would be a real PITA to get it off.
Thanks piercedtiger, That's a good heads up. Now that you mention it, when I use to run a shell on my truck, the same thing would happen to the lock cylinder in the handle. Even with that damn rubber cover. Hmmm, gotta re-think this...wonder if graphiting weekly will keep it from getting gummed up?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 AM   #13
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Thanks piercedtiger, That's a good heads up. Now that you mention it, when I use to run a shell on my truck, the same thing would happen to the lock cylinder in the handle. Even with that damn rubber cover. Hmmm, gotta re-think this...wonder if graphiting weekly will keep it from getting gummed up?
You could try it I guess... For me, the little door/flap thing couldn't move enough to get a spray straw in to spray WD-40 or PB Blaster when I tried them. Needless to say I could not get enough in to even start cleaning out the lock.

Anyway, between that and the fact there's only 6 keys for pop n locks (with the key number stamped on the front of the lock ) I decided it wasn't very secure anyway.

About the only thing it did was force you to yank up very fast and really hard to get the tail gate open. So the normal person would try it, it wouldn't open, then they'd asked me to do it. So I think I only actually locked it 2-3 times.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #14
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I think the pop-n-lock is mediocre. I've heard of too many people that have had the lock busted by just yanking on it.

Of course, I still keep mine locked. It will keep the casual thief at bay.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
You could try it I guess... For me, the little door/flap thing couldn't move enough to get a spray straw in to spray WD-40 or PB Blaster when I tried them. Needless to say I could not get enough in to even start cleaning out the lock.

Anyway, between that and the fact there's only 6 keys for pop n locks (with the key number stamped on the front of the lock ) I decided it wasn't very secure anyway.

About the only thing it did was force you to yank up very fast and really hard to get the tail gate open. So the normal person would try it, it wouldn't open, then they'd asked me to do it. So I think I only actually locked it 2-3 times.

Well that's not very encouraging...

Did you ever find a Tailgate Lock that acutally worked? Is there another one or better one out there?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #16
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Well that's not very encouraging...

Did you ever find a Tailgate Lock that acutally worked? Is there another one or better one out there?
No I never found another one. Not sure if there IS another one.

I more or less just left it on since even unlocked it didn't open right away. It adds plastic extensions for the lock bars so that when it's locked the small movement left in the handle wouldn't open it. That extra play in the bars meant you had to jerk the handle up to get the bars to yank back fast enough to release the latches so you could open it.

That meant the average joe couldn't open it without it being locked, but became a pain in the ass for family/friends that didn't know the "trick" to getting it open.

I have a Bestop canvas topper now after my BakFlip leaked, broke, and fell apart. Since it's canvas I didn't see a point in leaving a lock on the tailgate. I just don't leave much in there besides some ratchet straps and my Hi-Lift now.