1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reason #695 why ABS sucks!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrFunker, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:00 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    yep.

2. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:01 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Ha! Fair point! :)

To clarify, the tires make it unstoppable when you're trying to go, but make it easier to stop when you need to!

3. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:07 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I understand the frustration ... I haven't posted this before, but I experienced the over-sensitivity of the ABS in my truck early on. Over time, I just developed techniques to avoid ABS engagement ... the problem exists, and I do believe is probably amplified in the ATRAC/VSC equipped trucks...mine is a simple SR5. I just don't believe Toyota is going to change it, so I post the techniques I use to avoid it.

Coffee :cheers: You have a good day! :cool:

4. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:10 AM
    GreatCanadian

GreatCanadian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimmyh [​IMG]
    The ice and a lack of traction is what caused the problem.
    yep.

And.... the lack of traction is caused by.......????

5. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:18 AM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    True on all counts. There are 2 situations in particular where I cannot avoid ABS engagement. Early in the morning when I leave for work, if there has been freezing rain and road is covered in glitter, or if alayer of fresh snow that hasn't been salted, the very first thing I have to do is travel 300 feet downhill to the end of the cult-de-sac, and stop at at the stop sign. If ABS kicks in, I know I won't be able to stop. That's a given. I don't panic, I'm used to it, so I deal with it.

The second situation is the first stoplight I come to on the way to work. If it's red, I could be in for an adventure, as again, it's downhill to the intersection. The same situations pose much less of a threat to the Civic and Outlander. I can deal with it, and wouldn't bother to complain to Toyota about it. But I do voice my opinion in support of others who report the same.

ZigZagTrucker likes this.
  6. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:48 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    There are local hills and specific hills on highway routes, where lowering speed before i start the downhill, and selecting the right gear ratio so i don't need to use the brakes at all at best, or only slightly is the best survival mode to avoid a slide.

one example: http://www.nokiantires.com/tires/suv-4x4-tyres/winter-tires/

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  7. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    kawasakilewis

kawasakilewis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    14 Access Cab 2.7 3" lift
    3" spacer, 1.5" block, 5% tint, helo wheels, 285/75 16s, toytec boss rear shocks, afe pro dry airfilter, raptor style mesh grille, mbrp stainless cat back w/of frond axle dump, thrush glass pack in place of mbrp muffler.
    in my own personal opinion, I believe most of it is an opinion on what you like, toyota is just trying to make the vehicle safer for the less intelligent folks that don't know how to drive.. but I do believe the tacoma is more sensitive than some other manufacturers... but when I buy a vehicle to drive, I want to drive it, not let it take me for a ride with ABS, and stability control trying to keep me straight, and so on.. i simply went under the hood in the fuse box, and I popped out the "ABS 1" fuse in my 2014 and tada! no more abs, no more vsc, none of that nonsense. I can now happily drive my truck on my own without the computer "helping" me. I've got 12k miles on the truck and I've had the fuse out for about 10k miles with no issues, and now it drives like an 80s toyota so I feel alot better knowing who is in control. just my $0.02!

8. Jan 21, 2015 at 8:01 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

On snow and gravel , it does

Fact

9. Jan 21, 2015 at 8:22 AM
    mmtak6

mmtak6 2 Many Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Marystown, Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road
    2016: Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau Cover, Interior LED lighting, TRS fog light replacement and HID kit, Bilstein 5100's, OME 887's, rear AAL, TRD Pro Wheels (4 Runner), SPC LR UCA's, 30" MIC TUNING LED Light Bar
    I've worked in construction for a long time and drive several diffenent trucks in the run of a day, and my tacoma's Anti-lock system is the worst ive encountered. ..... My GMC work truck stops way shorter on ice and snow than my tacoma...ugh, that was hard to say.

10. Jan 21, 2015 at 8:32 AM
    JAGER91374

JAGER91374 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Des Plaines
    Vehicle:
    3 TRD O/R
    OME 883's and Dakars, OME Shocks, Gray Wire, Deck Plate, Blacked Out Chrome, RAT Skids, BAMF BPV Bracket, Toytec Diff Drop, Braided Extended Brake Lines Front and Rear, In-Dash Nav.
    I have a 6 lug (2003) and I HAVE HAD the exact same experience as the OP.

Most memorable occurance was backing out of my driveway at idle. Hit the brakes to stop well before the end of drive and the ABS decided it wanted to keep going. Total POS system.

Pull the fuse and you'll be much safer on the road. And for those that will say it's the tires or the speed. This happened AT IDLE with brand new dedicated snow tires on the truck. Pulled the fuse, sold the snow tires and have been happeir ever sense.

11. Jan 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    As you can see there has been expencive research done on this subject. Below is very scientific proof that abs verses non abs stopping distance is the same, it's just a different method. See illustration below, /thread.

[​IMG]

12. Jan 21, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    zmw

zmw Well-Known Member

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    2014 TXproBAJA
    none
    ABS for sure sucks, i remember this one time when I was taking my truck down a LUGE track, and keep in mind I have a BAJA TRD, so everything is the most awesomest, ABS totally kicked in when I tried to slow down for turn 3, completely messed up my run, didn't slow me down at all in fact, because it was so good it made me miss the power slide I normally hit in turn 6 to show off... just saying, without ABS, i'd have won.

13. Jan 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    No. The traction IS available. The sensitivity of the Tacoma ABS does not let you take advantage of that traction.

EDIT: Just reread and realized you said "poorly manage what's available". I had mistakenly read "only manage what's available".

The interface between the tire and driving surface of my Outlander and Tacoma is practically the same. Outlander stops, Tacoma literally does not. People affected are not arguing what ABS is designed to do, or how helpful it can be when you jam on your brakes at high speed on dry pavement to avoid a moose for example. What they are stating is that there are times that the ABS just will not let you stop your vehicle, especially at a crawl, when other comparable vehicles DO stop under the same conditions.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  14. Jan 22, 2015 at 2:02 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    :D

15. Jan 22, 2015 at 2:35 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Ok.

16. Jan 22, 2015 at 2:58 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    +10

I run studs.
    I pick up much of the advantages of the improved rubber and have the studs for truly adverse conditions.
    I give up some performance in regular weather and must be aware of that.

However, in last Thursdays ice storm, the Taco in 4wd with the studs rode as if on rails.
    Of course, I drove conservatively as the conditions dictated.

17. Jan 22, 2015 at 4:49 AM
    Nu2Toyota

Nu2Toyota Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    After being the owner of a 2010 trd sr5 4x4 dc for about 3 months,I believe I have found the solution.Do what I plan to do very soon.Drive that Tacoma to your nearest Ford dealer and trade it for a real truck.It will not only cure your ABS problems,It will also stop your sloppy steering,broken spring leafs,melting headlights,rotting frame,etc.Did I forget anything?NO,I am not a troll.Bought my first Tacoma in November.It will be my LAST.Never have seen a vehicle with so many problems.Go ahead boys.Flame away.But,The truth is the truth.All vehicles have their problems but,NONE have more than Tacomas. p.s. I have had 0 problems to date but,don't plan to wait for them to start happening.For the price one has to pay for a Tacoma,There is no excuse for having all these problems.Toyota is well aware but,does nothing to correct them. Tons of recalls and band aid cures are not the answer.

18. Jan 22, 2015 at 6:18 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Ok.

19. Jan 22, 2015 at 7:23 AM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6

Anyone else scratching their heads over this one?

20. Jan 22, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
    yeah

Products Discussed in