1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen audio question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ScarabMike, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Jan 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM
    ScarabMike

ScarabMike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All stock
    Hey what's up guys!

I have a quick audio question. I have a 2015 Tacoma with Entune. I want to add a clarion in line amp for the four channels.

Is there a male and female harness to splice in between the radio and the stock harness?

In my BMW, there was. I was able to splice in an HD radio adapter, tap to the harness, and when the car was sold everything went back together with no cuts or splices.

Thanks for the info in advance!

2. Jan 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM
    ScarabMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All stock
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  3. Jan 20, 2015 at 12:23 PM
    WeberSarge

WeberSarge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ohio, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRD 4X4 Quad Cab , '77 FJ40
    Stock for now...
    Those actually work quite well , as long as the plugs and wires are of decent quality .
    Installed several myself in the past for other folks ...can't remember now who made the adapter kits ...?
    Sarge

4. Jan 20, 2015 at 1:13 PM
    ScarabMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All stock
    That's what I was hoping for Sarge. I have to see if these are the same connectors on the new radios. Then I can get this little badass installed...

Its an amazing unit, and you can run it with the stock speakers. I had this in my F150, and the sound was awesome. Best part, its small enough to fit in the dash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B43LKV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

5. Jan 20, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
  6. Jan 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    dertwin

dertwin Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Yes, as the others point out this is easy to do. I just installed the Alpine Power Pack in my '15 with Entine (non-nav). Metra 70-1761 and 71-1761 harnesses will do what you're looking for. My only advice is that the guide that comes with the harness doesn't mention what to do with the orange wire with black strip - but it's the ground for the buttons on the stereo and must be grounded in order for the buttons to light up at night.

Also agree that a speaker upgrade will help a good bit. I added Rockford Fosgate Prime components up front and 3 way in the back and I'm very happy. Good luck!

Philrab likes this.
  7. Jan 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    robbergeron23

robbergeron23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    holland, ma.
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD sport v6 4x4 access cab
    Please let us know if those wiring adapters work on your radio. I have been eyeballing this amp, but didn't know where and what to buy for wiring adapters. Thanks for your posts.

8. Jan 20, 2015 at 7:48 PM
    skootx

skootx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    Have a look at the audio thread in my sig. The signal coming from the stock Entune head is GARBAGE. A lot of guys have had issues with hiss (including me). Adding an extra amp will make that very noticeable. Also, the factory speakers are the worst I've ever seen. If you throw more power at those than the pathetic stock Entune signal, you'll roast them. The tweeters aren't even really tweeters.

You CAN get a decent sound, but be prepared to replace all speakers, add 5 channels of amplification, a subwoofer, and a DSP (I'd advise an Audison BitTen, though I don't have one I wish I did).

9. Jan 20, 2015 at 8:29 PM
    dertwin

dertwin Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Good advice from skootx. For what it's worth, I have zero hiss with the Alpine Power Pack. The amp has gain settings for front and rear channels, as well as selectors for speaker level or RCA input from the head unit. If the OP doesn't use a DSP, the Alpine (not sure about the Clarion) has a setting to compensate for running speaker level signals into the amp. Starting with nearly zero gain will give the lowest chance of distortion and/or hiss. You can dial up from there, but without a DSP you'll just get mostly louder - not phenominally better - sound.

Really, it all depends on what is good enough for you. Adding a solid small amp to a medium grade set of aftermarket speakers is a big improvement but not killer fix for the lame stock setup.

10. Jan 21, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    I run my stock Entune Plus head with some Focal speakers and the Clarion mini-amp and have NO hiss at all. None before, none after. I also don't need a LOC or DSP. Got lucky I guess.

11. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:59 PM
    skootx

skootx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    OK now I'm pissed. :D

You have a 2014 Entune with Nav, bluetooth and voice control, but no JBL and you have no hiss? I've been trying like hell to isolate where that is coming from and why some have it and some don't. Focals are incredibly good speakers, even the entry level. I'd figure that if you had hiss, you'd hear it with those more than with my Helix's.

Are you running any EQ? Because, what I think Toyota did, is eliminate that EQ band from the output of the head unit. If you use an EQ and measure the frequency response, then adjust EQ to make if flat, I bet you'd have hiss. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this because I love everything about the head unit except for that damn hiss.

12. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:53 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Woah. Thats neat. I didnt know they made amplifiers that small now a days.

Im gonna keep an eye on this thread because Id like to change my speakers and amplify them while keeping the stock nav headunit.

:beer:

13. Jan 22, 2015 at 6:30 AM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Entune Plus doesn't have Nav, but everything else you mention. No JBL as well, and yes, I have NO hiss. Never had it either. Can't explain why some say they do and others don't. The first thing I did was just install the Focal ISS-690 speakers. No hiss came of that installation. Next step was the Clarion XC1410 and I still had no hiss. I'm running the Clarion on the "flat" setting and "low" output. Even when I switch to the "high" setting, I don't get hiss.

I don't have any other type of frequency analyzer or distribution switch in my system. It is wired directly to the chassis harness and I'm NOT using the RCA plugs at all.

For me, the sound is great. I can have lower volume with nice clear sound and if I turn it up, it stays just as clear, just louder. :)

I've used all aspects of the system. iPod, Bluetooth (phone), auxiliary jack: all without hiss. I mostly use Sat radio and iPod for listening although the radio is fine as well.

14. Jan 24, 2015 at 7:38 AM
    ScarabMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All stock
    I just got my harnesses in the mail. Waiting for a nicer day to get started. Ill get some pictures, and review soon!

15. Jan 24, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    DaBigDogg

DaBigDogg "Say when..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mid-Suffolk, LINY
    Vehicle:
    '22 MGM DCLB TRD OR
    Sub'd to see how this turns out! Might be a good warm weather project lol

16. Jan 24, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
  17. Mar 16, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    Brent.Bower

Brent.Bower Active Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD sport Doublecab
    Other then the orange/black wire the harness was flawless ? I have been reading posts about having to add pins and reshape the plug. I have the 2015 entune basic stereo. My hope is to prewire my LOC with the harnesses before i remove the head unit.

18. Apr 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    dertwin

dertwin Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Yep, other than that issue, no mods necessary.

19. Apr 4, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    Brent.Bower

Brent.Bower Active Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD sport Doublecab
    I didn't add a pin to the harness. The new harness out of the stereo had the orange/black wire, the new female one didn't have this wire. so I just grounded it with the stereo black. Hasn't given me any issues, any one else done it this way or know of issues doing this.

20. Apr 5, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    mmcarbo

mmcarbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    I used the Alpine power pack. Hiss is minimal depending on the amp's gain setting. I placed mine behind the right kick panel. Not too much space behind the radio. I replaced the rear speakers. Still using the fronts for now.

Products Discussed in

To Top