1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whining noise from engine.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lynkel, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jan 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM
    lynkel

lynkel [OP] Member

Member:
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    2005 Toyota Tacoma. 2.7 Liter
    Have a whining noise coming from engine . I think it is an idler pulley. My question is, how do I test to see if or what pulley is bad. what is entailed to change an idler pulley. Would like to save a few bucks and do this myself if I can. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jan 21, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    You can remove your serpentine belt and start the truck to confirm. Changing idlers is easy once the belt is off, but they're not cheap for what they are. I found that the belt is easier to remove from the bottom, just be sure to make yourself a belt routing diagram, it's kinda funky. Being a 2005, you may be 100k or so. If so, replace them all and put on a Goodyear Gatorback belt if you plan to keep it and run it long. Also make sure that you're not weaping any antifreeze from the water pump bleed hole. I would pull the belt and then spin and wiggle each idler to test. An automotive stethoscope is also helpful before you pull it apart. They're pretty cheap at the chain auto stores.

I replaced my belt and tensioner at 125,000 on my 2006, I never changed the idlers. I had 175,000 when I traded it in. Alternators can whine too.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top