1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering selling my truck, advice?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KevinTaco, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jan 21, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    KevinTaco

KevinTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Flagstaff, AZ
    OME 886, OME Dakar, OME Nitrochargers F/R, RCI Metalworks full skids, AVID weld on sliders w/kickout, Brute Force Hybrid (Ordered)
    So I've had my 09 TRD offroad for about a year now after replacing my totaled 07. I put a lot of money into my 09 (bumpers, lift, sliders, skids, tires) and now i dont go wheeling anymore (old truck was rolled offroad and, i hate to say it, but im scared) so I am driving around this truck that gets 12mpg and isnt all that fun to drive on the road. So im tossing around the idea of selling it for something with better gas mileage and will make my daily commute a little more exciting (have an inside track on an RS4 that i could get almost straight trade for). Is there anyone here who stopped wheeling, sold their truck and missed it? Any elder members who could offer some wisdom that a young guy like me might not realize? Thanks for any help
    Kevin

2. Jan 21, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    I went from a truck to a car once. I had to turn in my man card and was embarrassed to drive anywhere.

Make your truck more streetable and sell the parts you take off.

3. Jan 21, 2015 at 12:41 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    I love Audi, had a '97 A4 and have been around them forever. They have electronic problems (shared with VW). Key electronic parts are third world assembly and prone to failure. My pride and joy was a '07 A4 Avant. I bought it new. In 36 months it needed 5 clock springs, leveling ecu, intercooler, airbag harness with airbag ecu and seats harnesses and clear coat recall. When it ran, it was perfect, when it was off, it was way off. I spent to much time in the dealership.

I'm going back to Volvo when my cx9 is done. That will be in 10 years? My CX is made in Japan and at 40k shows zero issues. Best vehicle since my 850r wagon.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. Jan 21, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    DanceswithWolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    Nutshell: lease Audi, have vacation time for service.

5. Jan 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM
    DanceswithWolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    For 24 months, I leased a '98 TT, my company car. It's sole purpose was track events at Sebring. I ragged it. I took stock 996 rims and mounted r1s. I beat that car, so did my friends. Stuffed it a few times in the tire walls. After 24 months, turned it in. I feel sorry for the guy that bought it.

6. Jan 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM
    KevinTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Flagstaff, AZ
    OME 886, OME Dakar, OME Nitrochargers F/R, RCI Metalworks full skids, AVID weld on sliders w/kickout, Brute Force Hybrid (Ordered)
    So the general consensus is that I should stay away from Audi? Anyone have any other suggestions of AWD vehicles that I could get for 25-26k? My brain is screaming WRX but I am unsure about the interior, it was not a nice place to be when I test drove one.

7. Jan 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    DanceswithWolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    At 20, go Subaru, at 40+ go Audi or Volvo.

I'm going back to Volvo since the divorce from ford is strong. I drove a xc90 at the car show here. I had it for 1 1/2 days up in the canyons. Superb handling and I flogged it. I was in park city without wife and I beat it hard. Not one hiccup. Would buy.

8. Jan 21, 2015 at 2:32 PM
    KevinTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for the advice, did some more research on potential repair costs for an audi and i definitely do not have the funds to support a major mechanical issue with an audi, has anyone had issues with subaru reliability? I am looking at 2011-2014.

9. Jan 21, 2015 at 4:26 PM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    Find a used wrx that hasn't been beat hard then you have found a unicorn!

10. Jan 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I traded my first truck for a Jeep. Traded the Jeep for a WRX and now I'm back in a truck. I hated the Jeep, loved the WRX but missed the utility and feel of a truck. For me, having a truck again is like being reunited with a dorm room sofa. It just feels right.

11. Jan 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Sounds like when I sold my motorcycle way back when.

I regretted doing it - but after I'd racked it up, riding wasn't fun anymore and I just needed to acknowledge the fact.

So... sell it, and buy something more practical.

My advice: I wouldn't buy something too fast and racy; you don't wanna be tempted to go to fast, press the limit, and wrap it around a tree.

It may be time to buy a "grown up" car. Or perhaps channel your "must-modify-vehicle" energy into something relatively benign like car stereo equipment...

As always this is just advice, which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

12. Jan 21, 2015 at 4:38 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    One thing I did, was buy a convertible. A convertible with the top down always "feels" fast even when you're not going very fast.

13. Jan 21, 2015 at 4:38 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Baby step back into wheeling. Keep your truck and get back into your hobby.

14. Jan 21, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    IMO buy a used Scion TC and supercharge it. You'll never look back. ;)

15. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    jawscardodger

jawscardodger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    CT
    If i was only using my truck to commute to work with i wouldn't own it.

16. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    I really think you summed it up! A few years ago I was without a truck for awhile, (played with some pretty nice cars), The truck (to me) is "comfort food" & although I don't do "off-road" infact I don't really drive it much, it is there when I want it, & it just looks great in the shed.

17. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    11 Tacoma

11 Tacoma Active Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 2wd

This

18. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    You sig says you are in Flag. That's prime truck country. You have good snow and mud and rain sometimes where the truck can excel. Like others have said modding back makes sense too. I think a stock tacoma is pretty nice and has less harsh ride non-modded. But we've all been bitten by the mod bug on this site. Lol
    My friend has a Subaru outback , it's pretty nice and gets around pretty good on Forest roads and is AWD.

Good luck Az

19. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:12 PM
    estarr

estarr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4
    The Subaru Crosstrek looks like a nice and capable car for your price range. I traded my Tacoma for a jeep but I'm still ALWAYS looking at this forum. I wouldn't mind getting back in another TACO though. I'm positive you will miss it.

20. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:20 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    U could always try Lexus ...just get get the AWD "FSport" editions...I almost pulled the trigger on it before my Tundra..it was fun to drive, but wasn't practical with a family (seating) and I enjoy driving in the mountains..and I sure as hell don't want to drive that in the mountains. I'm glad I chose the Tundra (i had a Tacoma before that I wheeled) it's bigger, more powerful, more features, and looks great. When I get an urge to wheel I either borrow my buddies 4Runner, or ride passenger with a friend.

Products Discussed in

To Top