1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Original Spark Plugs at 117k and 10 years

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by docbrown, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Jan 22, 2015 at 6:11 AM
    docbrown

docbrown [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    I recently purchased a 2005 DCLB 4X4 to replace my 2005 Prerunner. In the process of going through the truck, I changed the plugs. When I pulled the first driver side plug, you guessed it, NGK on the driver side and Denso on the passenger side. These were the original plugs from when it came out of the factory. It never ceases to amaze me how people just do not think to change the spark plugs these days.

I haven't had a chance to look real close at the plugs I took out yet, but the gap looked to be about .005 or even more by my "eyeball" gap gauge. I was just wanting to finish up last night - dang mosquitoes almost carried me off!

Funny thing is that the oil was recently changed, the brake fluid and power steering fluid is fresh and I am pretty sure the coolant was flushed recently. I am wondering if they took it in for a tune up and were told that the plugs were changed but the shop may just not have done them - either an honest mistake or a scam.

Anyway, If you buy used, take the time to go through it after you buy it and do all the PM to make sure you know it was done, and done right. I think it says a lot that the truck was still running decent even with 10 year old plugs that were almost 4X past their change interval.

On to the transfer case, and front and rear diffs next!

2. Jan 22, 2015 at 6:23 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Let us know what else you find. Usually people leave all the diffs / tcase oil in it from the factory.. it makes me cringe.

3. Jan 22, 2015 at 7:44 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    How did the truck runs before you changed spark plugs?

Regarding your comment about the .005 gap. I assume you meant .005 over the std. gap which is around .042-.044?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. Jan 22, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    docbrown

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    I show .039 to .042 as the range, but to answer your question, it ran a little rough at idle, but, not too bad considering the shape of the plugs. I meant to say .050. Got a little Dyslexic in my typing. :eek: And I think I am being conservative in that estimate, it may be more. For kicks I was going to put the gauge on a couple of them tonight when I get home.

5. Jan 22, 2015 at 7:48 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Just after I first met my wife, I changed the original spark plugs in her honda civic with 135,000 Km of city driving on it, gaps were over .060", with the ground electrodes having a knife edge on the ends. Fuel economy improved by over 25%, nevermind driveability and power. The new plugs were paid for after 1.5 tanks of fuel. Sadly, the catalytic converter had to be replaced because of the neglect. Hopefully you fair better.

6. Jan 25, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    docbrown

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    I finally got around to putting a gap gauge on the old plugs and they ranged from .060 - .063. Just a "little" out of spec. :)

Changed the front and rear differential and transfer case oil and I don't think those were ever changed either. There was about 3/8" of sludge/shavings on the magnetic plugs (well on the two that have the magnetic plugs). Any way, I feel pretty good now that I have all of the routine maintenance done for now. I have two hub assemblies coming that should be here tomorrow. Won't have time to change them until Friday or Saturday.

7. Jan 26, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I accidently left mine in my 2006 V6 for 110k and it ran fine. I don't know why I went with new Densos.

8. Jan 26, 2015 at 5:51 PM
    Luckstrizzo89

Luckstrizzo89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD SPORT
    I'm surprised you guys had such good luck with your spark plugs, I changed mine at 30k exactly and the driver side NGK's definitely had some signs of wear and my truck has been running much better now

9. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:18 PM
    193rdsoldier

193rdsoldier Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD Sport
    My shop foreman has 215k on the original plugs in his 07' V6. He says he's just going to wait until it starts causing an issue. He laughed at me when I told him I changed mine at 30k. He's one of the best technicians I have worked with. All highway easy driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top