1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chasegarrison4, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Jan 22, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    Chasegarrison4

Chasegarrison4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD off-road
    So my truck has significant rust on the frame. It was originally titled in Connecticut and it's listed under the frame rust safety campaign. Back in October I took it to Knoxville toyota to have a few recalls fixed and to get my frame recoated. When I went back to pick it up they told me that the frame campaign didn't apply to my vehicle since it was now registered in Tennessee even though it came from Connecticut. After several phone calls to corporate headquarters they have agreed that mine is eligible. The lady I spoke with said all toyota dealerships in Tennessee were capable of a frame replacement. However she informed me that only one dealership(Bristol, which is about 3-4 hours away) is capable of recoating the frame. I asked her how it was possible to know how to swap a frame but not recoat one.. Anyways she says I have to take it to Knoxville for inspection and then to Bristol for recoating. It's mainly surface rust, so I don't think it needs replaced. Would I be able to get a body shop to do it and have toyota reimburse me for it?

2. Jan 22, 2015 at 3:37 PM
    nickonfire700

nickonfire700 Reg. Cab Nation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab SR5 4x4
    Satoshi grill, 3rd Gen TRDOR Bucket Seats, TRD front skid plate, TRD Beadlock Wheels, TRD Exhaust, OEM bed mat, LCE Header, LCE Balance Shaft Delete, ECGS front diff bushing, TRD Sport LSD rear diff, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights, Stainless Steel Brake-lines, No A/C with Defrost mod, 2014 OEM Radio, Illuminating 4x4 switch, Various LEDs, UWS Toolbox, Proven Design Products Mudflaps, Bilstein 8112 front Coilovers w/ rear Bilstein 5125's/IronMan lift leaf springs, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, JBAs HD UCAs, SOS Bolt-On rock sliders, TRD bedside decals, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Relocated rear diff breather, 2019 Steering wheel, color matched door handles
    Yes, if you have a independent shop recoat your frame, you can get reimbursed from Toyota. But if you want to, you have to follow Toyota's instructions to the T! I went through it, and and was a pain, but I got my money from them.

3. Jan 22, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    With all the work you've done so far, I'd follow Toyotas instructions.

If it turns out that a frame is actually needed, they won't be able to say 'you didn't follow our instructions' followed by 'so sorry'.

I'd really want someone to prove it's only surface rust. And even if it is, how do you prepare and coat the parts you don't see easily? And what about where stuff bolts on? Are they going to pull all that and treat underneath?

4. Jan 22, 2015 at 3:54 PM
    Chasegarrison4

Chasegarrison4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD off-road
    I just don't understand how every dealership is capable of swapping a frame but only one can recoat it.. From my understanding, to have it replaced you need to have a hole a certain size in the frame but I haven't seen any.. As far as other things being rusted, when I bought it it had vibration when stopping so I bought new rotors and pad. When I changed them the old rotors were so rusted that they crumbled taking them off..

5. Jan 30, 2015 at 6:51 AM
    wattysreef

wattysreef Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Melbourne Beach
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    3" Toytec lift; 2" Toytec AAL
    If you are outside of the LSC like I am then please get involved. I am in the process of having counsel file a class action suit in Florida. The attorneys would love to have others from various states involved as well. PM me and I can pass along the contact info. This is is all done contingent and will not cost you a dime.

6. Feb 7, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    Toyo4you

Toyo4you New Member

Member:
    milwaukee
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma 48,000 miles
    Dropped my truck off at dealer on October 14 2014, Three weeks later service writer called and said frame needed replacing. it is February 7,2015 and I am going on 16 weeks without my truck? I have the rental.I keep getting no answers from service writer about my truck. I snuck on to the lot a few days ago,saw my truck checked underneath and the frame still looks rusty.how long was it for anyone to have a frame replaced. I keep getting no concrete answers.Except for waiting on frames.

7. Apr 15, 2015 at 5:49 AM
    wattysreef

wattysreef Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Melbourne Beach
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    3" Toytec lift; 2" Toytec AAL

Products Discussed in

To Top